1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sagem hd-d45 axium

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by psalliss, Jun 15, 2005.

1. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    well have just got an absolute bargain on the above screen/ was going to order it online but thought id go and have one last look at it at comet to make sure its what i wanted as they got one in last week and had it setup. well they where doing them at 1,899.99 for the screen and 299 for the stand. i asked if they had any in stock which they didnt, so i thought id be cheaky and ask what theyd do the display model for. well they did the display model for £1,799.99 with stand and a 5 years warrenty to cover the bulb as well.

all round a cracking deal.

2. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    bloomin heck its huge. the picture pretty good bearing in mind ive got cheapish scart cables. is it worth spending and getting a decent scart cable for sky and getting a new dvd player thats hd ready or component

3. mishmash

mishmash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You've made a great choice in getting that TV. I've had mine two weeks now, I bought from Comet at 1p short of 2k, but they chucked in the stand for £99, pays to haggle for a deal.

I have my PC hooked up to it and the WMV HD samples make everyone who has seen it jaw drop. My only bugbear at the mo is getting my DVD player to output progressive scan to it, so nothing to do with the TV itself.

The Sky feed I have was naff using Scart, and I got four different Scarts from a local AV shop to test. At the moment the Sky box is feed into the TV via S-Video which is better, but the source signal that Sky supply is not really up to scrach in my area. (I do life in an extremity of the UK which may have something to this)

4. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    well have the tv 24 hours now and im wondering if ive made a mistake. i watched an import dvd last night of which the quality was reasonably good. have watched a few programs from sky now and am disapointed it seems very grainy and almost blocky. i bought a new scart lead from a local home cinema shop which has improved it a little but the picture still doesnt seem sharp to me has has anyone got any suggestions.

cheers

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Can you take a picture so we can see what you mean?

:)

6. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    PSAliss, I am reasonably confident that your PQ problems are down to your source rather than the Sagem. I have mine hooked up to my DVD player with component cables running Prog Scan and the PQ is breathtaking. However the PQ drops off quite badly when I switch over to my Telewest Cable box regardless of whether I am watching BBC 1 or Sky one due to bandwidth restrictions, as everyone agrees the PQ on the Sagem, when running Hi Def material is peerless so it will come into it's own when direct broadcast Hi Def is generally available in the UK. As an aside the PQ from my PS2 is much better on the Sagem that it was on my previous Display, a Toshiba 36ZP18Q, which gives a lie to the myth that a top quality CRT will outperform any other type of display.

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

:clap: :clap: :clap: I wish it would hurry up and get released, HD is the way forward. Its a bit like VHS recordings once you have tasted the delights of DVD only more pronounced :D

Your right about the source making all the difference as to how god or bad the picture is.

My system goes like this from best to worst

HD material from PC
    DVD play back
    Sky movies
    BBC1, BBC2 etc.
    ITV surprisingly not as good as BBC
    Second rate small channels, music channels are quiet poor

8. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    just turn the volume up :D

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Pardon :D

10. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    heres some pics not sure quite how well they will come out though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I think I can see what you mean.

Have you got your sky plus set to RGB? Also connected via a fully wired scart cable. What cable are you using? What channel are these shots from?

I can also see some frostyness. Is this just me :confused:

Also what settings have you got this input set on?

Can you do a few pics from your dvd player, i-robot is a good disc (quiet a clean image)

:)

12. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i think they where from sky 1. yes sky plus is set to rgb and the cable im using is i think a ixos XFT02.

what do you mean by frostyness???

what settings do you measn for input??

ill try and do some pics for i robot tommorow any particula scene better than another.

cheers for the help

13. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Razor, that frostiness as some people have call it is the anti reflective coating typical to Sagem screens, it gives like a sparkly, shimmering note to the picture. It's particularly noticeable on bright backgrounds such as pictures of sky, snow etc. Personally it's the one thing that put me off this set, I just couldn't get passed it I'm afraid.

Psalliss, I wonder if it's this characteristic that you're referring to.

14. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The sparkly affect every talks about I can only see it if I am standing in front of the TV. So if you are looking at it in a store likes Comet then it's quite noticeable.

If you’re going to take pictures do it from where you are sitting and don’t use the zoom mode.

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

neilmc :hiya:

I have read about this frosty look in these forums. I too think this might be contributing to the effect psalliss is seeing. :rolleyes:

The pictures shown look like they have a lot of noise present or is this the reflective screen?

Psalliss :hiya:

By settings I mean each input has different picture settings ie, colour, brightness etc. Look at your contrast levels as the pictures look very dark (then again it could just be that scene).

Your DVD input will be different to your sky+ settings.

Any scene will do. ( I like the robots jumping on will smiths audi in the tunnel scene :smashin: ) Facial shots are also good.

BTW the picture shown shows the sky plus logo very near the bottom of the screen what aspect ratio are you using? If you put a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 display in its original ratio (ie crop the top and bottom of pic) you are more likely to get blockness. Always keep the source in its original format for a true judge of picture quality. Stretching the picture will degrade the quality.

:D

16. nick.brown

nick.brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem when people move across the screen, close up & the skin breaks into tiny coloured vertical lines for a second or two.

Is this common for this TV?

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Doesnt sound right :confused: :confused: :confused:

What source is giving these results?

18. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160

sounds like a mixture of motion blur and the oily skin effect,
    both "featues" of dlp technology :eek:

:D

19. vimes

vimes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my HD-D45 a couple of months now.
    I discovered the other day if I use Component cables and an interlaced signal from my Denon 3910. The "features" of dlp technology is not there.

In the beginning I had my set connected using DVI cable and from time to time i experienced the phenonmen described:

Code:
    Sounds like a mixture of motion blur and the oily skin effect,
    both "featues" of dlp technology 

20. nick.brown

nick.brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sky & sky + RGB Good Quality scart cable

21. locutus

locutus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just saw one of these running hi-def media clips in Currys. Looked incredible!!!

22. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    razor- thank again for you replys. how do you change the inputs for each picture i didnt no you could do that. and yes ive had the sky on 16.9 could that be why im a little dissapointed in the sky quality.

vimes- at present im looking at getting a new dvd player to replace my onkyo that is scart only. in your opinion which demonstrated the best picture component ordvi. cheers

also i read somewhere about a guy from sagem who will update your firmware, who is he and how does that work. is it worth doing

23. vimes

vimes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if i imagining it :) but the colors seems much more vivid using interlaced component instead of DVI.
    And i've never seen the oily skin effect when using interlaced component.
    The blacks seems better to.

24. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    just been playing on my xbox and the quality of the display just isnt as nice as my old 28 inch toshiba which isnt even widescreen. played project gotham 2 and it just seemed really dark and the colours not very vibrant.

25. vimes

vimes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seem to be a guy named Andrew at Sagem that updates firmware and recalibrate the HD-D45.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202243

I think I saw his email address in another post.

Maybe you could try to contact him.

Edit:
    Found this in another post:
    The man you need to speek to is ANDREW GORMAN at sagem he will come and redo firmware and re calibrate your set foryou. Its well worth having done as picture is fantastic after . new sets are done at sagem before being shiped so should be no problems with new sets.

andrew.gorman@sagem.com

26. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

What I mean by this is to set each input up seperately. ie different values on your contrast, sharpness, colour etc.

When you set this up for your sky box it wont have the same settings on your dvd player. You will have to re-enter new values.

I hope I was a bit clearer :smashin:

27. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    is it worth contacting this andrew gorman what does he do??

razor- yes i see what you mean, the only problem is i would be constantly changing settings every time i change the source. ive come to the conclusion that i large part of the problem is the source. dvds are acceptable and with a better player with composite out and a decent cable will probably be een better. i watched doctor who last and the picture was really nice and impressive. i think im going to try some hi def clips to see what the difference is.

28. blackwavesid

blackwavesid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been quite happily watching DVDs since the start of the year using the DVI output of my Samsung 745 DVD player. Having read a couple of comments where the preffered option was using a component P-Scan source I thought I'd give it a try.

Have to agree that the difference to the colour depth is very noticible and an improvement, however I lose a lot of brightness switching between PC2 (DVI) and AV5 (Component P-Scan) inputs on the HD-D45. The loss of brightness is considerable to the point that darker parts of films become too dark and lose detail.

Could this be down purely to the cheapish leads that came with the 745 or am I missing something?

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

The settings stay fixed once you have set them. HD will put a smile on your face :clap: :clap: :clap:

30. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    have had a further fiddle with the settings and the picture now seems a lot better, housemate has been playing on the xbox and the picture looks far better i would say as good as my old tv. i think im definately going to look at getting a better dvd player. ive currently got an onkyo player which is a nice player but has only got scart out, so going to look into a dvi or component outputted one and get a decent cable, i think this will make the world of difference.

im coming to the conclusion its not the tv thats the issue its the sources that are either playing as in the program or the hardware as in the sky, dvd player and the xbox.