1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD-D45 and High-Def images

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Caimbeul, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I am in need of a little guidance... :lease:

I have posted a few questions before now but am on the verge of my purchase and would appreciate any info from owners or people who have seen the screens perform first hand in the situations I am about to describe so I can stop obsessing over the "Making the right decision"

Its between the Samsung SP50L7HX & the Sagem HD-D45. Now having read countless glossy magazine reviews the Sammy tends to come out on top every time...However! I think that size wise the Sagem is the better option with being able to put it on a unit of some description that can house My DVD, Amp, Center speaker, Sky, 3 consoles etc + The old Sage looks rather sleek in black too but the Samsung has that damn plinth of a stand which whilst looking great (in my opinion) is Soooo unpractical its a sin. So I am leaning toward the Sagem but my main concerns are the fact that all magazine reviews mention noise on HD feeds via DVI as quite noticeable. Since I would be be buying not only to upgrade in size but for Sky HD I would like to know what experiences people have had or are experiencing with HD feeds into the TV...is the noise relly that bad!!?? - I have seen the Sagem demo'd in comet and john Lewis via PC and can say that was definately impressed with the qualtiy but has anyone else tried other material that highlighted flaws??

Second and final concern is the Rainbow effect...I know from the response to one of my posts that LV426 gave that it is an individual who is suseptable to the effect rather than the TV giving off said effect to everyone. That said the magazines tend to have a different opinion on this matter...I decided to go to John Lewis and look for them....Cant say I noticed much...My brother and I did catch a brief flicker of Red, green and blue not to the peripheral vision but in the center of the screen but it was so brief (micro/miliseconds) that we were not even sure that we actually saw it ir if we just imagined it (+we were flicking our eyes back and forth rapidly in order to try and induce the effect! :rotfl: ) Anyway - some say the Sammy suffers less in this area due to its 7 segment colour wheel, is this correct or does the Sagem also have a 7 segment colour wheel?

Well Sorry for such a lenghty post but I need all the help i can get and this is the best place i find for honest answers. Any help with these issue would be greatly appreciated (HD noise is a biggy for me though!)

:D

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Any reason why you're ruling the Samsung SP46L6HX out of the equation?

3. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Over many, many visits to Comet I must have stood and watched the HD feed they show for, what is now collectively, hours (Sad I know:rolleyes: ) and I have not yet seen anything resembling a flicker let alone HD noise. Lines and light/dark divisions are solid, crisp and uninterrupted; pure blocks of colours remain pure and never fade or flare and even in fast moving items or panning shots there is never a hint of break-up, contouring or distortion. I too would like to know what others have seen or the reviews have commented on for the hd45 and hd56 as it has passed me by completed.:confused:

Cheers

4. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Although I have only spent a couple of minutes watching the Sagem HD-D45 with HD feed in-store on numerous occasions I too have never really noticed any 'glitches' as such with the picture. I cannot though comment on any other feed as I've only seen the PC HD demo on all the display models.

I too agree with Caimbeul that the Sagem is a little more practical in that you can place it on a stand of your choice & arrange your AV kit underneath. Remember it also has detachable speakers which is handy if space is a little tight.

What about the tv's sonic performance ? The Samsung has 30 watts RMS output whilst the Sagem supposedly boasts a total of 60 watts (RMS?) !!!

5. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for the replys...

I have not considered the Samsung SP46L6HX simply because I have yet to see a mag review it yet and have no idea what Picture quality is like in comparison to the SP50....is it as advanced? does it have as much connectivity?....and it silver I think isnt it? (not that there is anything wrong with that, I just like the gurrent fad of black gloss finish) Neilmcl: Do you own a Samsung SP46L6HX? What are your views? pro's cons etc.

Thats good to know re the Sagem, (i have not actually noticed any noise either & I know mags tend to have a b!tch about the most minute of things and blow it up and scare people like me! :rotfl: ) if I recall correctly the mag reviews said that the only way they got rid of the noise was to run it through PC...but I may have just made that up and will now have to go and read them again. Sonic performance isnt a Huge deal for me as I plan to partner the display with a Denon 550SD. As long as the sound matches my old 28 Sony Wega I currently have then I will be happy enough...Big Brother and all the other progs my wife watches REALLY dont need high end sound! :D

6. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The Samsung SP-46L6 that has been mentioned in this thread does have a black finish & a grey/silver coloured speaker slightly detached from the rest of the main cabinet at the bottom.

I've attached a picture :D

Go to http://www.samsung.com/nl/support/p...tv.sec&RSSI=/nl/module/ssi/right/rmenu_tv.sec

Here you can download a pdf file of the instruction manual. :smashin:

More importantly if you were considering the SP-50L7HX then click on

http://www.samsung.com/nl/support/p...tv.sec&RSSI=/nl/module/ssi/right/rmenu_tv.sec

and download the pdf file.

This is Samsung's website in the Netherlands & seems to be better than the UK equivalent for info, etc. :smashin:

Hope this is of some use to you ;)

Attached Files:

7. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same choice myself - when I do eventually sell the damn house I am in I will most likely go for the Sammy.

Why ? Well for one, it seems to have the least overall issues and breakdowns of the DLP sets here.

Secondly, It just seems better put together overall as a package. Don't get me wrong, I like the Sagem and pic quality too, but the overall package of the Sammy just looks and feels better. If you start to look more closely at the Sagem the build isn't quite so impressive, and the side speakers feel a little flimsy (IMO).

When I first found AVForums I had just come across DLP technology and was keen on the LG (am I glad I hung around for a bit ;) ) Then the old Sagem, then the Tosh, then the new Optoma, and now the new Sagem and Sammy.

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The SP46L6HX is not quite out yet, maybe in a couple of weeks so Samsung say. It's obviously a newer model than the SP50 and will be as "advanced" as you put it if not more so as it's part of the new generation of Samsung DLPs. Obviously the thing to do is wait until it's released and do a side by side comparison, as Currys will be stocking it this should be quite easy to do. Don't wait for a mag review you get better information on this forum and by demoing the models yourself than you'll get from the magazines. There's also a 50" and 61" version but I'm not sure if or when we'll see these in the UK.

I don't know if you seen the other thread about the SP46 but Makro are advertising it at a special offer of £999 excl VAT so this could turn out to be the bargain of the year.

9. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Yes the Samsung is better put together overall as a package, though the Sagem still looks pretty neat aesthetically but as you say Sagem's build is a little tiny bit iffy in some areas. But on the other hand the Sagem's design is pretty nice & it's not a huge ugly looking box :smashin:

Good thing you did not buy the LG !

I'm glad I found AVForums as it's a great place for discussion & feedback :)

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

J80FAB :hiya:
    Glad you didnt get the LG either they are shockingly unreliable and they dont have HDCP or a DVI input. So no good for sky HD or HD-DVD or Blue Ray.

After my Optoma RD65 :D My favourite choice would be a samsung set. :thumbsup:

11. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Never even looked at the LG !!! :D

Although I've seen the Sagem HD-D45 around since about February/March, I only really started taking an interest in this DLP technology at the end of May. And until then did not really know anything about up & coming HD transmissions & media either.

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Good lad :smashin:

Who got you to look at DLP's.

HD is the way forward I just wish the UK wasn't the last to get it as usual. :cool:

13. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks...Just D/L'd the manuals and will peruse them...I think that if the SP50 wasnt so impracticle it would win hands down for me but if the SP46 is a newer generation then at least theoretically it should be as good if not better than the SP50...You say Samsung reckon a couple of weeks untill this is out?? is it attached to the stand or can it be removed from it?

14. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Thats the word I got from Samsung when the emailed me last week and according to Makros advertising their £999 offer starts on 6th July, next Wednesday. The stand, although included, is a separate item.

15. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The stand looks pretty miserable anyway. From the picture it doesn't seem to have a lot of room down below for all you bits & bobs !

16. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes the stand isnt the most attractive of designs is it! - So, What do you have to do to become a member of Mackros then? dont you have to be a company or something?

Have browsed the Manuals of both the SP46L6HX & SP50L7HX and they appear to be nigh identical in features, usage etc (at least from what you can decipher from a Manual) Just have to wait and see what the actual performance is like!...Sigh, someone buy it and tell me what its like please! :rotfl:

17. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

I introduced myself to DLP's !!!

As mentioned before I saw the Sagem HD-D45 back in February/March but really didn't take much notice probably because of the price.

Then several weeks ago the silver nicam stereo HD-D45S appeared in Currys which drummed up a little more interest, got home & did a search for the model for more info on the web & then found this discussion forum ! :thumbsup:

Still not sure about Sagem or Samsung. Saw both again today & would not want to make a mistake at that sort of price :(

The Samsung SP-50 can be bought in-store at Empire Direct for £2199 with 5yrs warranty. Though I've never seen it with a HD feed so I am swayed by the Sagem. Then again I've never seen a Sagem without a HD feed :rolleyes:

Forgot to mention there's always the other Samsung to be had from Makro :D

18. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also torn about the Sagem 45HD and my concerns are the rainbow affect and the DVI input. I would be interested in any comments about the quality of Sky broadcasts through the Sagem as even when hD comes along most material will not be HD for quite a while. I read somewhere that the DVI input is HD only.

I'm not quite as close to a purchase and may just sit on my hands and read the forum (so much info, well done everybody) for a while longer.

I get the message about LG :thumbsup:

19. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Unfortunately, for some, you do have to be a limited company or self-employed as Makro is a cash-n-carry. All the terms & conditions are on their website - http://www.makro.co.uk/ie/sub/registration.cfm?

20. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You basically need to have company headed notepaper and a VAT certificate. Mind you once you have the card, as long as you use it every 3-6 months you never get asked for them again.

I've never really found Makro to be particularly good value for quality kit - most of the 'bargain' stuff is of dubious brand - and I wouldn't want to be trying to argue the toss over a warranty issue with them.

Mind you, they have cheap beer sometimes :D So it's not all bad.

21. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I haven't been to Makro in ages. :D

I asked a friend if they will lend me their Makro card if I want to buy something there & they said 'yes'. :smashin:

I also took my friend's non-food brochure no. 15 in which this new Samsung SP-46L6HX appears.

Apart from the Samsung the rest of the AV equipment they are advertising is indeed 'bargain' not-famous brand stuff :thumbsdow

22. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    £2199 - thats not a bad price for a store for the SP50 (Empire Direct)

Does anyone know where their store/s are? I may try and get John Lewis to match it.

23. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    As mentioned previously the £2199 is their in-store price + 5 yrs guarantee if you are a store member (£15 for 12 months membership) :smashin: . If you are not a member I think they have the £2999 price up (but I can't remember for sure) & this would not include the 5 year guarantee.

Their main store is in Bradford & I think they have another one somewhere near by.

If you want their details, ie. address etc let me know :D

24. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    BRADFORD!!! :eek:

a bit too far for me I'm afraid, thanks for the offer though! I doubt JL would match so far away either. Trying to find what info I can on the SP46L6HX at the mo. Seems to be very similar if not identical in spec as the SP50 but uses HD4 chip instead, apparently due for release in Mid July.