Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sagem HD-D45 (Again)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mapryan, Feb 23, 2005.

1. mapryan

mapryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This lunchtime I went to John Lewis in Sloane Square to check out the HD-D45 and I have to say that I was shocked. Every single plasma,CRT and most DLP’s on display were showing a crappy sky feed. The Sagem and three other DLP’s were showing a DVD but the picture quality was awful. Thankfully, I’ve read enough on this forum to know this isn’t right, but god alone knows the number of customers they must put off new large TV’s thanks to this terrible display

However, having had a chance to review the system in person, I have a question. Looking from the front, on the bottom left-hand side is where the hot air from inside the system was being blown out. I found that if I put my ear close to this area I could hear quite a loud buzzing/humming noise. Do any existing owners have this problem? Is it noticeable when watching quiet things?

Finally, I’m going to take the wife to John Lewis in Kingston tomorrow night to have a look at the one down there. Does anyone know whether their display is any better?

Thanks in Advance

Mike

2. Chorlton Dragon

Chorlton Dragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never noticed it myself, though it's probably being drowned out by the buzzing and whistling from my Sky+ box !

CTD

3. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is noticable. I sit about 3m away from my screen & I can notice it at times during quieter moments. If you are very susceptible to this sort of thing then I suppose it could be a problem, but it doesn't bother me too much.

4. ihaventaclue

ihaventaclue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the one in jl high wycombe was very good!!!

5. mapryan

mapryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. As I said, I'll be checking out JL Kingston and will feed back impressions from there afterwards

Cheers

Mikc

6. mapryan

mapryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got back from JL in Kingston and I'm happy to report that they're running a High-Def feed from a PC over DVI, so if you want to see this TV in all it's glory then it's a handy place to go. (However, they have it positioned at the wrong height, and you can't back away beyond two feet, so you have to go over and crouch by the sales assistants desk and hope no-one walks in the way!)

Anyway, the deal is done, but they're quoting two weeks delivery. I did think about trying another supplier, but couldn't really walk away from the free 5 year warranty.

Thanks to everyone on this list, as you have all been instrumental in helping me come to this decision. Now, I just can't wait to get it home to hook my MythTV box up to it....

Cheers

Mike

7. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you know if John Lewis include the stand in the price? I was quoted £1995, but no mention of a stand.

Spoke to Alphason at the Bristol Show today, and they make the Sagem stand under an OEM deal.

8. ihaventaclue

ihaventaclue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just bought my HD45 from JL a couple of days ago online,(at midnight) and they rang the following day, and are delivering next Tuesday :clap:
    £1995 buys you the screen and the integrated woofer.

roll on next tuesday :)

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Definitely no stand included.

10. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Noticed it's on the JL website now, and it plainly says no stand. Sorry about that, not checked the site for a few days.

The stand I saw today at the Bristol show was actually quite large, and too wide for my needs. So I think having the choice is better for me.

The base is 650mm so there are a couple of narrow stands on the JL site:
    Optimum Television Stand, 8003SL £250
    Optimum Television Stand, 6503SL £200
    Alphason Plasma/LCD Television Stand, AD3-67 £250

Time to get the tape measure out!

11. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet are doing the Sagem 50" DLP for £1995 and the stand for 1p if you buy the TV!! seems like a deal, the salesman said they would do the same deal on the HD45 when they get it in

12. jerig

jerig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought one (45 that is) along with stand from comet Paisley (Scotland) £1999.99 for the 45
    £299.99 minus £135.98 for the stand not as cheap as 1p but not a bad deal
    they also took off £29.99 on two sets of leads and gave me the delivery of £15.95 for free. All discounts where put in as "Goodwill Gesture".
    It pays to ask when spending over £2k.