Sagem HD-56 + Mac Mini (DVD/Media Player)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mrchu, Aug 5, 2006.

1. mrchu

mrchu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody tried using a mac mini as the primary dvd/media player with this display?

I'm thinking of purchasing the mac mini to go with my new tv so any feedback would be appreciated.

2. az33m

az33m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently using a mac min to act a media player for a CRT. Waiting got my Sagem 56" ot push the content to.

I can't tell you what it looks like on your Sagem, but on the CRT, through Scart the compressed Mpeg4 streams are great. I used Handbrake to rip the DVDs.
    Once I get my Sagem I will connect using the DVI connector to get a better picture.

On another note, see if you can use a file server/NAS device to hold your content, stream through wired LAN or through powerline networking for best results. Wireless can be flaky. This way your content can be viewed anywhere else in the house. Also the Mac mini uses front row to display the movies via the remote. With a lot of content you are going to have to catergories into folders so that searching is easier. You can also use an alternative viewer called: iTheatre.

3. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Sounds quite impressive. Now all that's needed is a core2 duo version of the mini, install windows and ffdshow on it, and it's the perfect HTPC :)

4. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    az33m is it the dvi to svideo adapter you are using? I am interested in this as i may be using this method if i get a mac mini, until the price/performance of hd screens get better - cheers

5. Monty1977

Monty1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Windows? Why would you want to do a thing like that? The Mini and bundled OSX software does a fantastic job and will be WAY more stable than anything in Windows land ;)

Adam

6. az33m

az33m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi phetttt,

Yes I'm currently using the DVI to sVideo adaptor. Works really well. The only thing is that the sound needs to be raised a bit on the Mac. Make sure you rip the DVDs with the 5.1 rather than simple stereo otherwise when you upgrade you sound to go via an amp you'll miss out.

By the way has anyone managed to use the Mac Mini's digital audio out to connect to a digital input in an amp and got good results?

7. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, i'm wondering if should wait until apple expo next month and see if the mac mini will be upgraded :thumbsup:

8. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Well, ffdshow, as I said :)

Anyway, Windows stability hasn't been a problem since Win98 days. The only time XP will crash is if you overclock the PC.

9. az33m

az33m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a Mac forum at work I posted the question regarding which type of DVI cable I would need to connect my Mac to my new Sagem HD D56B DVI-D port.
    I got a very useful answer which may help others from a collegue. I have to agree that the top of the menu is a little hinden.

Answer>>

The Mac mini has DVI-I, which just means that an adapter can be used to output analog as well as digital. All you need is a DVI-D cable, which is the most common type of DVI cable, included with nearly every LCD computer monitor.

Warning about connecting a TV; a lot of TV makers totally blow it with respect to a computer connection. If there is not a well formed EDID block inside your TV, which is where a Mac gets its display "driver" information, you may be stuck having to use 3rd party software to build a custom timing. You may also encounter issues with overscan (menu bar will be off the screen at the top, as if under the bezel) and weird, unsupported formats like 1366 x 768 (1366 is not evenly divisible by 4 or 8 which gives fits to computer graphics cards).