Sagem Hd 45 G4 Dlp

S

stephenJ

:hiya: all you new owners of the SAGEM HD 45 G4 some questions
1 whats the picture quallity like through sky plus box
2 whats the picture like on freewview
3 any body tried picture card slot

really want to buy this tv but need some good feedback , as the older set HD 45 has had problems

1. Don't know about Sky+ but freeview looks great sometimes, and pretty good the rest of the time.

2. Like I just said, awesome when they put effort into broadcasting. e.g. Bleak House, Rome and any other big dramas.

3. Yes, it works pretty well. It doesn't auto-resize, which is annoying. But then we have got a camera that takes massive photos. Roughly double the pixels on the screen. So it could just be coping with that, saying that though the pictures load up pretty fast, second or two on these massive photos is impressive.

Hi there,

I use sky plus, so can't comment of freeview as haven't bothered with an arial, but pictures on sky plus are as good as I've seen

I received this set today. The picture quality is first class on everything I've tried - Freeview, SKY+ and Photo Viewer. I haven't yet tried it with a true High Definition feed - but have seen it demo'd with one in store and it was excellent.

However I am very disappointed with two aspects of it both sound related.

1. The sound output from the sub woofer is very poor quality on everything except low volumes. Why have Sagem bothered to build a big speaker unit into the set - and then put such low quality speakers in it? The only saving grace is that they've provided Hi-Fi out phono sockets which work well with my old Hi-Fi - but I was hoping not to have to use it.

2. The fan hum is much too noisy and quite audible even with volume set as high as 50%.

This really is not good enough.

Sagem have built a great set that gives outstanding picture quality - but ruined it by using very cheap speakers and a noisy fan.

I think I'm going to have to return it - which is a great pity as everything else about it especially the picture quality and connectivity is superb.

Hi there,
Felt/rubber etc under fan can help with fan noise, which I have found reducing with time (running in?).

Agree with comment on speaker, it is a bit thin, but also I find 50% is very quiet and it never gets particualrly high, but I believe that the base houses not just the sub woofer but part of the TV workings as well, hence size.

I've read a few posts referring to a noisy fan. The fan is exceptionally quiet on my set so I guess those sets with a noisy fan are faulty.

I do agree the sound quality of the set is poor but I guess most people who buy a tv this big will be hooking up to their own surround sound systems.

I finally took the plunge on Saturday and ordered the HD45H G4 T from Comet, they even knocked off the delivery charge to clinch the sale!

I am concerned about all the posts on the fan noise, but the one on display was making no fan noise I could hear even right up close to the back panel. So I tend to agree it's a fault, if seemingly a common one.

Delivery is the 19th, I'll post a review soon after

I have had 2 50" g4s with the so called fan noise and am awaiting a 3rd. I am not so sure it is a fan noise, when i turn the set on i can hear the fan/s start up and the noise they make is fully acceptable, however a second or two later a loud hum/buzz kicks in. The first set i had was the older 45" and it had no hum/buzz and this is why i am convinced some of these sets are faulty.Comet are delivering another 50" on friday will let you know how it is.

hi thanks for the info on the tv ,i do agree it could be a fault with the fan itself it might have moved on transit ? lets hope it's not a cheap component good luck with this issue

I don't think it's fan noise either. The noise on mine also changes dependent upon whether your watching tv or the PC input and there is a noticable difference between the two.

I think its either audio output through the subwoofer or some electrical components emitting noise.

mrlab said:
I don't think it's fan noise either. The noise on mine also changes dependent upon whether your watching tv or the PC input and there is a noticable difference between the two.

I think its either audio output through the subwoofer or some electrical components emitting noise.

Ive read theories that it is the colour wheel that makes the noise.I've noticed that mine is a lot louder when my Xbox is set to NTSC rather than Pal,Could this be because the wheel spins faster in NTSC mode???

When you turn the TV off and the orange light is flashing at that point the Colour Wheel has stoped spinning if it's still making the noise then it no the Colour Wheel.

If it's the Sub try turning the internal sub off.
In the audio install menu there should be a option to turn internal sub off.

If it's still making noise after all that then on my first HD-D45 The Balast use to make a noise, but after it had been on for a while it stoped.

I have just tried to buy the 45 from Comet as it was on sale for £1399 but now it's £1499??? The store reckon it's a demo model only for £1399 but the online price was £1399 over the week end!

Blooming had to happen to me. Wish I was more impulsive.

How do the different models line up in order of PQ and features?

WoodWooker :suicide:

Avwow are still showing £1375 inc delivery for the 45, but that could change soon, given that they reduced in line with Comet last time!

Just ordered one from AV Wow. In stock on the 11th. Just hope the price does not increase when the stock arrives. :rolleyes:

Hi there,
The newer model (G4 or G4T) has better connectivity, with 3 RGB scart and 2 HDMI as opposed to 2 RGB scart and 1 HDMI. However the old models connectivity should be acceptable for most users.
The new G4T has an inbuilt freeview tuner.
The G4s have a newer chipset, some say its' a bit softer, others more natural.
The G4s also have a new screen, the older models were criticised by some for having what was described as a frosty appearance on large expanses of white, rendering Dr Zhivargo even less pleasant than usual.
Finally all newer models arein the smart piano black, some of older are silver finish (all sub woofers are silver)

Basically the G4 has improvements, but not massive, try Curry's in Telford, they were selling off old model at £995 on Sunday! To be honest this is a great buy and it would be difficult to justify £500 to get the G4 over this. However if you are thinking of £1400 or £1,500 go to John Lewis, you get a 5 year warranty there, and they may even price match

jessmith said:
Hi there,
The newer model (G4 or G4T) has better connectivity, with 3 RGB scart and 2 HDMI as opposed to 2 RGB scart and 1 HDMI. However the old models connectivity should be acceptable for most users.
The new G4T has an inbuilt freeview tuner.
The G4s have a newer chipset, some say its' a bit softer, others more natural.
The G4s also have a new screen, the older models were criticised by some for having what was described as a frosty appearance on large expanses of white, rendering Dr Zhivargo even less pleasant than usual.
Finally all newer models arein the smart piano black, some of older are silver finish (all sub woofers are silver)

Basically the G4 has improvements, but not massive, try Curry's in Telford, they were selling off old model at £995 on Sunday! To be honest this is a great buy and it would be difficult to justify £500 to get the G4 over this. However if you are thinking of £1400 or £1,500 go to John Lewis, you get a 5 year warranty there, and they may even price match

I couldnt disagree more.....The G4 is a massive improvement over the older model, if not only for the motion chip thingy that totally erradicats the oil painting effect on fast pans. Oh and you forgot that the G4 also has a much nicer remote and a memory card veiwer ;)

I did see some poterisation (oil painting effect) on a the newer 45 I was looking at. Didn't seem to happen often but it was there - didn't try anything to get rid of it though as the set was going back anyway.
Paul

Evening all

Have had my Sagem GA T now for two weeks, am still amazed at the quality, though slightly disapointed with the humming.
Could anyone help me..how do I get the PIP or PAP to work

Phil

sprattgraham said:
When you turn the TV off and the orange light is flashing at that point the Colour Wheel has stoped spinning if it's still making the noise then it no the Colour Wheel.

If it's the Sub try turning the internal sub off.
In the audio install menu there should be a option to turn internal sub off.

If it's still making noise after all that then on my first HD-D45 The Balast use to make a noise, but after it had been on for a while it stoped.

On the basis of this and other posts here - I reckon that the noise is not coming from the fan - but from the Colour Wheel. On initial switch on I can hear the fan start up - and it's noise is perfectly acceptable. Then after a few seconds - the hum kicks in. On power down - the hum stops almost immediately - whilst the fan is still running.

The hum is not coming from the speakers - I've tried disabling them. It's actually coming from the left hand side of the sub-woofer unit - where I guess the colour wheel is located. Not only can it be heard - but it can also be felt quite clearly.

I'm not sure what to do now. If I could eliminate this problem I would be happy to keep the set - but as it is - it is not acceptable. On the basis of other posts here - it would seem very likely that the majority if not all current sets have this problem - so just getting a replacement would be unlikely to resolve it.

To investigate this hum further - just done a tour of Curry's and Comet. Curry's had the older S model on display - and neither of the two showed any sign of hum either by hearing or touch. Comet had the new models on display - the 50" had hardly any trace of hum - and although the 45" had some it was at a level that I would find acceptable. So I'm beginning to think it may be a run-in issue and may resolve itself in time.

I'll keep the set on continuously for a couple of days - to see if there's any improvement. If not I think I'll ask for my money back.

WoodWorker said:
Why is it going back paul?

And what are you going to replace it with?

Not my set, its a mates. The black level is grim. Too much murky grey in dark scenes.

My mate and I are now hanging out for either the new Samsung 1080p sets (with a far better black level) or the Sony SXRD sets. Depends on cost though.
Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom