1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem HD-45/56 + scaler? Vs other?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nin, Sep 17, 2005.

1. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Well, I have be reading about the Sagem DLP for some time now. I will in a couple of day's go and look at the HD-D45. But I have some question that maybe someone can help me with.

*I will be using a scaler with this (probably the Crystalio II) because I have a HUGE collection of NTSC laserdisc and most of my movies will not come out in HDTV (horror and cult buff). Do anyone use the Sagem with an scaler? How is the picture from upscaled 480i to 720P on this?

*I will sit around 2,5 meters from the TV, so will the 56 be overkill, specially when I mostly will look at upscaled LD, VHS and DVD?

*Are there ANY other DLP that could match the Sagem right now? Optoma, Samsung, other? Are there any NEW Sagem models coming out soon with an improved picture quality?

*1080P. Are there any 1080P DLP's coming out here in Europe soon or will we "only" have 720P for awhile?

Thanks in advance

/Mattias

2. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are you not content with just the Normal Resolution in a DVD... I just watched a bunch of them on the 56 and it looked great... although SIT too CLOSE and you'll see noise like there's ants in the screen.

2 and a half meters will be fine.

There are no TVs that can match this Sagem in the 56 Inch Category. I would've bought the Samsung but the 50 inch is kinda small and there is ONlY 1 VGA on the Sammy... Yet on the Sagem, there are DVI and VGA... Shame no REAL HDMI slot...

Keep waiting for the NEXT tv and you'll never get one.

Just settle.

3. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You got more money than me dude! That Crystalio 2 thing is like 3 Grand, the TV only cost 2500!

4. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Go for the DVDO iScan HD at £650 or if you must, the iScan HD+ with HDCP facility at £869.:cool: These will provide up to 1080p resolution from SD feeds such as terrestial, Sky and I expect, your older VCR videos.:smashin: There is a limit any upscaller can provide for poor source but the iScan with much more powerful processors will make a much better job of it than the on-board processor in the Sagem - which in itself is clearly one of the best, the best, the best (the boys are playing the Foo Fighters single up in their room just now!!) on the market.:thumbsup:

The Sagem is fantastic at DVD especially progressive scan which is flawless;) . HD material is stonking:) and even SKY on a good channel can be 1st class:thumbsup: (Not all are sadly):(

I am after the iScan HD+ (Wife willing) which I was reluctant to get at first but I am sure it will ensure the very best from this superb TV.:rolleyes:
    On the other hand..... Sky HD comes out in 3-6 months time for about £400 (current estimates) so no need for an upscaller for SD feeds after all then??:confused:

Poor and old VCR will benefit from a good upscaller especailly for the larger 56" screen with more work to do to hide the gaps in the source materail (The iScan wins hands down in Home Cinema Choice reviews:smashin: ) but the Sagem is well able to deal with the rest.:)
    Cheers:hiya:

5. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Dunsters as a fellow HD-D56 owner you'd take that iScan box over the Crystalio 2?!

869 quid doesn't make a difference to me and I'll buy one tommorow if I can find one in town, is it really THAT good or is the Crystalio 2 at 4000 quid MUCH MUCH better?

6. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I think that the problem some have with there Sagem with other than HD stuff is that the scaler are not as good as it could be inside. And with a massive (over 1100) Laserdisc collection and rather big VHS collection (over 600) I must get the best out of my SD stuff. I have already had the first Crystalio, that I used to my Marquee 9500LC CRT.

But to the other questions, will the HD-D56 be too big on 2,5 meters viewing distans, with mostly upscaled DVD/LD?

And, are there any other DLP's that can match the Sagem?

Thanks again

/Mattias

7. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think the review at Home Cinema Choice says it all - why pay more....:smashin:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5666
    The Crystalio VPS-2300 is unique in many respects. Linux-based and offering goodies like the Pixel Magic tools and 1080p output, this is undoubtedly a visual heavyweight. It made a big difference to the performance of our chosen display devices and is ready for HDTV sources.
    The DVDO iScan HD+ is our outright winner. Priced at just £1,000 it seems almost cheap for what you get. Its connectivity is the best in the class and its video processing is good enough to transform the performance of already impressive hardware. It’s also ready for an HD future. If you’re serious about fine-tuning your home cinema system to its absolute best, then the iScan HD+ is the ‘must-have’ final embellishment.
    Ref the 2.5m distance? 2m is what I am using to type this - pretty much the max range of the HTPC keyboard and the image has been 100% for this, The old 'Who Dares Wins' film taped from BBC last night and tonight's MOTD football review via Sky which has normally given me problems but tonight was absolutely fine.:)

Is the Sagem the best? - you bet!:clap:

Cheers:hiya:

8. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry, but they are wrong. They are almost the only source that rate the iscan before the Crystalio. All other sources have the Crystalio as the better one, and I should know, I have owned the Crystalio! But I sold it for the Crystalio II that comes in november.

Well, it sounds nice. I will go for the 45 then. :clap:

9. hedgehog

hedgehog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Used DVDO IScan Ultra are available at low prices. Do you know how they compare to the HD(+). I think if I can improve digital Sky signals from channels with poor quality.
    Where to connect the scaler? DVI is used for DVD.
    Is the Y Pb Pr input the right one? Can it handle 720p signals?
    The PC1 input (VGA) is declared only for 60Hz signals (not 50Hz), is this true?

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    iScan Ultra is a deinterlacer only, and using relatively old hat technology now. Cheap in the sense you get what you paid for I'm afraid. Simply takes interlaced DVD. Sky, LD etc and outputs progressive scan. No scaling, no HD, not a lot to be honest.

HD+ and the new VP30 are the more complete products, but to my eyes still easily bettered by equivalent priced Lumagen products, and the original Crystalio (admitedly a more expensive product until recently).

C2 - nobody has seen one yet but I very much intend to be one of the first BETA testers in the next month or two. It's a fair cop to say DVDO products like the VP30 tick all the same boxes (HD signals, 1080p output, handful of HDMI inputs) but the quality with which they do is simply beyond compare. Even Crystalio 1 compared to iScan HD+ the difference is absolutely night and day. Detail, smoothness, feeling of depth, colour/grayscale accuracy, curved edges everything is better. With the Gennum processing and other new features the C2 is gonna be awesone!! May seem expensive, but if you want the best, then you've got to pay for it.

As for that review, do a search on the processing forum for the two threads discussing it and then decide. IIRC the reviewer barely mentioned the actual image quality differences between the various products, he was incorrectly reviewing the £600 Cinemateq not the PlusII model, and the Lumagen was just out of BETA and running old firmware.

11. hedgehog

hedgehog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot, a "scaler" without scaling is really not the thing i want to buy. As I'm quit satisfied with my main Sky channels PQ, I will not spend a lot of mony for the rest. So I will follow the discussion and will have an eye to the market. Maybe my demands on quality will increase in the future ...