1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem Dlp 50 RPTV DVI OR HDMI

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rossbikeking, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Rossbikeking

Rossbikeking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken the plunge and purchased a Sagem 50dlp and i am thinking very of buying the Denon 2910 dvd player to complement this package and i was wondering on any other peoples views to either to get a dvi to dvi lead for the picture or to use hdmi to dvi any views on this would be great.
    Cheers Ross.............

2. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    as the sagem does not support HDCP, I am sorry to say you wont be able to use any HDMI ports from a dvd player.

3. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I think you will find that a Samsung HD945 HDMI port should work as the HDCP is turned off with the multiregion hack.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139393&page=2&pp=10

This thread may be of some help.

4. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Ok, the Samsung may be an exception, but if I was about to buy a new tv, I would only consider anything that had HDCP support as this will be crucial for the future IMHO. I would cancel that sagem order and go for either the Optoma RD50 (same physical design as the sagem, same price and with better electronics) if R1 DVD was not important to me as it can't handle 60Hz properly, or the Thoshiba if R1 DVD was important.

5. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm still undecided. The Optoma product support sounds dreadful. I doubt there is much difference in the Sagem/Optoma PQ, mostly hype IMHO. Considering there are thousands of people with non-HDCP devices, it won't be long before someone makes a decryption/switching box. And even if they don't Sagem must be looking to fix the issue if the want to hold on to any market share with only few models available. The Toshiba 46" is too small and too big at the same time. And the 50" Samsung is just too expensive. Nightmare.

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Don't hold your breath, given that the system is meant to stop that sort of thing.

On the other hand the ingenuity of man holds no bounds. But he who does might find a legal battle on their hands - not that this ever stopped the far east electronics industry...

Note that in other threads here Sagem appear to have said they will not/cannot upgrade the DLP50. Though some seem to think they may.
    Instead Sagem are in the process of launching new sets that have HDMI

7. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Note that Optoma technical support are not being difficult, I think they had to deal with a product that was launched before it was ready (no manual or DVI/HDMI convertor). I bet they had planned to launch later but got caught out by Toshiba releasing their product.

I have always found them to be helpful. I rang them up last week about my fan and a chap is coming round 9.30 tomorrow to have a look. Optoma did not try to fob me off or quiery how noisey my fan was, they just said 'fine, we'll arange an engineer to come round' no fuss.

8. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have to admit its doing my head in. Tomorrow morning I've got to buy a TV. I've £2000 and I want to spend it before the wife gets any ideas.

1. Sagem HD50, no HDCP
    2. Sagem HD45, too small and don't need speakers
    3.Toshiba 46", screen too small, speakers to large. Already have amp etc.
    4. Optoma RD50, no NTSC, (HDTV downloads won't work). Don't have a lot of R1's. Don't know if the support is any good? Not very reliable?
    5. Toshiba 52", must be massive and its not out yet.
    6. Samsung 46", screen too small
    7. Samsung 50", too expensive.

Help?

9. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    mrmoo you have to look at what you want, what is most important I have the Axium I bought it because I actually saw it in comets and was very impressed it was below a plasma screen and was much clearer and bigger :) and knowing that it doesnt have HDCP still bought it because I think the tv looks nice, on paper its better than the toshiba and I have loads of region 1 dvds so the Otpima was out for me and also I dony like black TV's.
    I have mine setup through my PC using windows media center and the DVI cable its a clear as an LCD monitor you can surf the internet on the tv the HD demos look out of this world, DVDs and even sky when using the RBG cable looks acceptable even though its a lot worse quality than DVD and HD.
    Thats my honest opinion as I would have no problem in sedning the TV back if I thought it was not as good as another model I had seen either.
    And as you say you can always purchase a samsung DVD player to disbale and I am sure they will have deviced on the market ASAP because if you have just bought a new CRT tv for 700 not knowing about the technology not many people will go out and spend 1000 or whatever the cheapest TV top support HDTV is at the moment !
    Remeber when dvd player 1st came out all the region nonsense you had to buy them from a firm that chipped them then the software hacks started to be released as I am sure they will with HDCP.