1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem D45 fixed!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by PsychicLemur, Apr 5, 2005.

1. PsychicLemur

PsychicLemur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm now happy! Had a visit from the Sagem engineer this morning; he's updated the software in my set, and then recalibrated the settings for the component input.

So, now I have a fully functional progressive component input, with no green tint, and it looks great! I may say, he said that the severity of the problem varies, but mine was one of the worst...

Next thing is to start setting up my new Mac mini with the Axium ;-)

2. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good news :thumbsup:

B.K

3. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats great news PsychicLemur !!
    Hope your getting as much enjoyment from your HD-D45 as I am!! Im on my third set now in 5 weeks, but finally have a problem free set. Only problem now is that i have to upgrade the audio system to match the visuals. More money!!.....Oh well

Chris

4. pwrslide

pwrslide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had the sagem engineer round to mine to fix the green tint done the firmwear upgrade made no difference at all.Put more faults on the tv then before,he also said there is no fix for the panning blur its down to the technology being used.

5. PsychicLemur

PsychicLemur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When was this? The bloke who came this morning - Andrew; I think he's in charge of tech support in the UK - had only done a couple of other customers' sets, and all were successful. Did you have an engineer out before they actually had a fix for it?

He did the firmware, which made no difference; but the new firmware allowed him to alter the configurations, which he did by attaching a pre-calibrated DVD player and using its known outputs to converge all the settings. I've now got a perfect progressive picture...

6. pwrslide

pwrslide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was andrew who came round and could not sort it, the problem i have is not the green tint because i use the dvi input, but panning blur on sky when ever the camara pans around everything blurs on any channel even had a new sky box fitted made no difference.For him to say all the others were successful is not the truth.Did the update have any effect on ordenary viewing as in picture quality.

7. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    :confused:

I too had terrible motion blur on my HD-D45. It was connected via progressive scan component as couldn't get the dvi input to work. The engineer that looked at my set was from Comet and knew very little about DLP technology. The set was returned to Comet and I am now watching the shops to see if something that can show a decent picture comes out. Think I may have a long wait. :mad:

8. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well if Andrew is out fixing sets, it explains why he's not returning my calls :) I was hoping he had an update on the solarisation/banding while panning issue. If it's not a problem they can fix, then it's a severe limitation.

I've had mine a month now, so it should be going back to John Lewis.

9. pwrslide

pwrslide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    exact same problems as mine, i never got no phone calls back either.Just had another engineer down and he said all dlp sets do it and you cant stop it,mine is going back to comets.Completly fed up with it all.

10. andy aceter

andy aceter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone help?i have just purchased a sagem hd-d45 and am so far fairly happy with it ,however having to use an ntl digital box for everyday tv viewing i was disappointed with the picture so bought a qed p2110 scart cable to rectify the artifacting and lack of clarity and focus, its slightly better but would appreciate any feedback and whether i should use another connection ie component

11. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Andy

The artefacting, etc., is due to the high compression used on NTL. Also happens on Sky, thought not quite as bad, in my opinion. As long as you are using a decent quality scart cable, there isn't much else that you can do about it. The same problem would be seen on any screen that size, regardless of the technology used.

The acid test is to watch a film on one of the movie channels, then watch the same film on DVD (also connected using scart). You will see that the picture is poorer on Sky, even though the compression used on the movie channels isn't as bad as that on some of the 'lesser' channels. As both formats use MPEG2 compression, it is a good demonstration of the effect of bit rates on the quality of picture. The DAC in the Sky box of course makes a difference, but that's getting into 'techie' territory...

12. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    As far as the firmware upgrade and colour reset are concerned, I too have had this done and am pleased with the result.

To be clear though, this only fixes the problem of green tint on progressive feeds.

For those members thinking of buying, Andrew confirmed that upgade and re-calibration is being applied at the factory now on all new sets, so should be fixed on newly purchased sets.

Motion artefacts are also source-dependent, don't forget. MPEG compression has its biggest problems when there is lots of changing detail happening in the video frames. Hence more motion requires higher bit rates.

To see the limitations of the technology itself, try and see a demo of a plasma showing the same video source (eg Sky). That is the only fair comparison. Comparing with a CRT, with much smaller screen and lower definition, is not like-for-like.

13. andy aceter

andy aceter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thankyou av junky, i will hopefully be changing from ntl to sky+soon and hope to get better results cheers; ps do you by any chance know the minimum hardware specs for the media center 2005 edition? as i want to build a dedicated pc connected to the sagem again many thanks

14. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Depends if you're planning on playing back any WMV-HD files. If so, the minimum and recommended specs are on the Microsoft web site (the Windows Media area). Could use that as a starting point, then check that all the hardware components (graphics card, tv tuner etc) are Media Centre compatible (Media Center [sic] web site).

There are lots of people over on the HCPC forum who have made their own MC PC. Would start from there myself.