1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem Axium Vs Toshiba 46WM48

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ashleyhyatt@mac, Jan 3, 2005.

1. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, This is my first time in this forum. I have read a lot of your threads and thought I would create this one for some advice. Hope you can all help !

I know I may be repeating some things that have already been mentioned and I am sorry for this.

I have just purchased a Sagem Axium from John Lewis. It was the display model and was in mint condition. I got it for £1895 and got the stand included for free !!!

I have since then seen the Toshiba 46WM48 in Costco. I used to work in Costco and know about there return policies. You can take anything back whenever you like !!! I have had 4 tv's the past 3 years :devil: I am now tempted by the Toshiba from Costco.

The Sagem Axium has been brilliant except for a little ghosting on white text etc. Has anyone else experienced this problem ? I am using an Xbox and a DVD player through composite. Ghosting also appeared when i plugged my PC in using the VGA connection on the front.

As I have been reading through the the other threads I have become worried and confused about certain issues... (Please treat me as a complete newbie to HDTV, sorry if I sound dumb)

1. What is HDMI Connectivity ?

2. What is the difference between the HD2+ to the HD2 and is anything else planned within the near future ?

3. How do Contrast Ratios work / what do they mean ? Costco list the Toshiba as 1000:1

4. What is the difference between a 6, 7 or an 8 Segment Colour Wheel and what does it do ?

5 What is HDCP ?

I know I have asked a lot of questions here and hope you guys can help ASAP as I know Costco sell out of stock VERY quickly and I do not want to miss this TV should you guys recommend it above my Sagem Axium.

P.S. I have heard that the Axium would need to be modded to use Sky HD when it is released, what would this involve or would I be able to use an adaptor for the different type of connection ?

Thanks a lot,

Ashley H.

:suicide:

2. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really answering any of your questions but what you going to do with the Axium? I could be interested if you wanted to sell on.

Cheers

3. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Axium would be going back to John Lewis for a full refund :laugh:

4. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    1. What is HDMI Connectivity ?

HDMI = High Definition Multi-media Interface - a sort "high-bandwith" Digital interface that is used to connect A/V kit. The connection is digital-to-digital, and therefore offers the highest possible pictures/sound (HDMI can carry visual and audio).

2. What is the difference between the HD2+ to the HD2 and is anything else planned within the near future ?

HD2+ has most of the wrinkels smoothed out - e.g. lots of bug-fixes and a few extra features over plain HD2.

Suggest you look at: http://www.dlp.com for upcoming developments to DLP.

3. How do Contrast Ratios work / what do they mean ? Costco list the Toshiba as 1000:1

Take that with a pinch of salt - the HD2+ chips offer above this - however Toshiba appear to be conservative in their figure.

4. What is the difference between a 6, 7 or an 8 Segment Colour Wheel and what does it do ?

More segments! Doh! Some manufacturers have claimed that extra segments mean better picture quality, removal of rainbow effect etc... etc... The standard appears to be 6 (at present) - However, there are new developments in colour wheel technology that will erradicate segments altogether.

5 What is HDCP ?

High Definition Copyright Protection - Basically away of encrypting the digital data (over HDMI or DVI connections) to ensure that the data is not being copied illegally e.g. prevents a DVD player being hooked up to a DVD Recorder to make bootleg copies of Copyright material e.g. Movies.

5. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Are you sure it's through composite - this is a single connection and usually the worst picture you could get. Or do you mean through component - which is three connections on consumer gear and probably the best analogue connection you can get?

6. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just curious, on what grounds would you expect John Lewis to give you a full refund?

7. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my mistake... The Xbox and DVD are running through Component.

(As I said, I am a newbie to all this, lol)

8. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already purchased a LG 42" Plasma last month and returned that to John Lewis due to poor picture quality... thats when I saw the Axium. A friend of mine works at John Lewis and told me there policy... they will try and get the unit repaired, exchanged or charge a handling fee... as long as you argue and say your not happy they will issue you with a refund. That worked with the LG so Im hoping it will work with the Axium.

9. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone has any info on the Toshiba compared to the Axium I would be very greatful...

I am in two minds at the moment...

10. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Regarding the Ghosting: I purchased the Tosh 46WM48P yesterday, but it won't be delivered until next Tuesday. Whilst looking at the Tosh in store prior to ordering, i also noticed ghosting on the Sagem (on white writing at the bottom of the screen) which was positioned directly next to the Tosh DLP and Sony LCD rear pro's. However, when i looked at the Tosh, and the Sony's, they all had the ghosting to some degree and i just put it down to a poor feed - as they were all displaying the exact same signal.

11. Sir_Baron

Sir_Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have my pc connected via the front vga port and also being a hardcore gamer of 20 years i havent experianced any ghosting yet. Infact its replaced my Iiyama 22" crt as the moniter lol.

I love my sagem :D.

12. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

When you use the PC through the front VGA port, did you have to adjust any settings on your pc or install any type of driver. I am currently using a 256MB Radeon (Cant remember which one).

Do you get any ghosting if you use an Xbox or on white text on a DVD ?

It's starting to look like my Sagem may have to go back to John Lewis...

Also... I have read in other threads that the Sagem Axium will have to be modded to use Sky HD... is this true and what would the modding involve... the guy in John Lewis told that I would just need an adaptor for the connection.

13. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I don't think that the specs of sky HD are even known yet, so the Sagem may or maynot work.

14. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Yep the Sky hdtv specs have been announced and tv sets need a HDCP compliant HDMI input on their televisions.

The Toshiba 46" definately has one of these - not too sure about others - I think Optoma owners are awaiting an upgrade to their tv.

Dave, Oldham.

15. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah, the Sagem only has DVI, so I guess there will be a box of gadgets to take the HDMI input from sky and convert it to DVI and seperate analogue audio. But I guess this will defeate the object of HDCP.

16. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whiteswan... can you give me a link or tell me where I can see the details of Sky HDTV... i will then show this to John Lewis and demand a refund as they assured me the Sagem Axium would be ready for it... then I think I'll go to Costco and get the Toshiba.

17. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me, can a PC be linked to the Toshiba and what connection would be used ?

18. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me, can a PC be linked to the Toshiba and what connection would be used ?

19. Systems Jambo

Systems Jambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ashley, the 46WM48 has a standard 15 pin D-sub and can also connect from a DVI socket from your graphics card through to the HDMI socket with the right cable. The full brochure shows all the connections on the back of this set at Toshiba . Did you get the pm?

20. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Baigrieja,

I did get your PM... In all honesty Im not to sure what to say... in my experience and from what ive seen when I worked there... if you argue enough they take things back. I've even seen things taken back past the 3 years !!! However I believe because a lot of people take advantage if this they are starting to clamp down. Most of the time a lot of the staff dont really know whats going on, someone will tell you something and then you will hear something from someone else. I personally went to Costco this evening after reading your message... I asked about the Toshiba and I was told it comes with 3 Years ! I might be going to buy one tomorrow or maybe later this week. I will let you know what happens if I get one. Im sorry I cant be more helpful than that.

Let me know if you need more help !

21. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right... If I get this Toshiba and I link it to my pc, does anyone know if I am able to play HDTV Windows media DVD's such as T2 Extreme Edition ? I have tried connecting my pc to my Sagen Axium but I can only get windows media to display in the small square as it displays in windows... is there any specials options I have to do to make it full screen ?

22. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    It would be better to connect the PC to the TV through the DVI connection thats what the connection is there for ;)
    I personnaly think you would be making a big mistake swapping for the Toshiba see my post here Have you had a good hard long look at the Tosh? it seems to me you like the idea of getting a TV from costco.

23. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just read you post... I appreciate what your saying and I am slightly tempted by buying from Costco because I know I can take it back in a years time. Hwever, I do love my Sagem Axium except Im worried it will not be able to receive Sky HD or will cost a lot of money to be modded. Also... the fact im getting ghosting (most noticable on white text) i very worrying. I also get ghosting when displaying my pc through it... Has anyone got a perfect picture from a PC through the Axium ?

I would appreciate anyone elses feedback.

24. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    The lack of a HDMI connection was what put me off but we are talking about the what if's to a certain extent here, but I know what your saying.
    The way to get the best PC picture is to connect directly to the DVI socket and set the resolution to 1280x720 if you still see ghosting on the text when set up like this then it's a possibility that there could be a problem.

25. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im going to buy a DVI cable at lunch time today and try it tonight... I am very worried because I also get ghosting (slightly) on games on the Xbox... I have this running through the Official Hi Def Kit. Its noticable on Halo 2 on things like your displays for energy or ammo.

26. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, couldn't get cable long enough so I wont be getting one today !

Apart from HDMI carrying digital sound as well as picture does anyone know if HDMI has better picture quality than DVI ?

Im thinking that if the picture quality is the same, I might stick with the Sagem as long as they fix it to be HDCP. Then if I wish to use Sky or a HDMI DVD player I will most likely be able to get a HDMI to DVI convertor...

Whats peoples thoughts on that ?

27. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hdmi and dvi carry the same digital signal therefore no, there is no difference.

28. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that would make perfect sense....and therefore will never happen :suicide:

29. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just checked a website and they are already selling the leads to convert HDMI to DVI :thumbsup:

Has anyone heard if the Sky HD will have any sort of output for the sound to a surround sound amp ? I would presume it ???

If it does my problems should be solved... :suicide:

30. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think the problem is not just with the connection, but the encryption. The video signal carried by HDMI is the same as DVI and there are conversion lead avliable (at further additional cost!). But Sky is planning on using HDCP over HDMI. So either Sagem will have to produce an external box of tricks to allow of the copy protection to be passed to DVI (unlikely as this will effectively brake the copy protection) or they will have to addpt the set in someway - maybe just through a firmware update, but I don't know.

I have emailed sagem requesting information but have not had a reply as yet.