Sagem Axium / Toshiba 46WM48 with Telewest

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by bassett, Jan 5, 2005.

1. bassett

bassett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having finally decided against a plasma I have narrowed my choice down to one of the above 2 sets, both of which seem to have some great reviews on this forum.
    However, everyone seems to have Sky or Sky+. I have Telewest and would like to hear from anyone that has one of these sets fed by a Telewest signal. How good is the picture? What is the best way to connect a Telewest box to the set?
    Am I correct in thinking that the DVI input on the Sagem supports HDCP and is therefore future-proof when HDTV broadcasts begin (I'm a newbie to a/v technology so please forgive if I've got my acronyms confused!)
    Ant input would be greatly appreciated :D

2. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    No the Sagem doesn't support HDCP.
    The problem people have with Sky is that some channels are broadcast on a very low bandwidth which gives a poor picture.
    Any large screen TV is just going to show up the poor quality more than a smaller screen TV.
    I don't know what the quality is like that telewest transmit have you ever noticed any problems with them on a large screen TV before?

3. bassett

bassett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Billy,
    So from your comments does that mean the Sagem will have a problem receiving Hi-def broadcasts?
    I only have a 32" TV today and am happy with the Telewest signal.
    thx

4. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    If the Hi Def source is provided by means of a HDMI connection then yes.
    The current specs from Sky use a HDMI connection, thats for their HDTV broadcasts which are planned to start in 2006.

I currently watch SKY on a 36inch CRT and the low bandwidth channels are very easy to spot, but saying that Misses can't.

5. ashleyhyatt@mac

ashleyhyatt@mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been on the phone today to Sagems technical support regarding HDCP for the Axium... they said they will be sending out engineers to make them HDCP. When this is they do not know. They have taken my details for when this happens and have suggested that I call back at the end of January.

Im seriously considering taking my Axium back and getting the Toshiba from Costco as I am worried that not having HDMI will cause me problems in the future.

Is a HDMI signal on a DVD player gonna look much better than component ?

What does anyone think ?

6. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got Telewest at present, and had Sky before.

In my opinion, Telewest pq is worse than Sky, i only have a 28" Toshiba 100hz at present, am waiting for delivery of the Tosh DLP next Tuesday, but even with the 28", i can spot the blocks in the picture a mile off, and it wasn't like that with Sky! I'm dreading to think what its going to look like on the 46"!

7. bassett

bassett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it varies from one area to the next as my pq is fine.
    What made you plunge for the Tosh DLP? Did you consider anything else?

8. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bassett: I have been looking for a DLP since September last year. When i originally started looking, there was only the Sim2 (out of my price range) Loewe (again out of my price range) Sagem: Which i didn't like the look of. LG: Didn't like the reflective screen and Samsung 50" which was £3,500.00 and looked to long.

When the Toshiba was released, i liked the look of it, the pq is excellent, and i was aware of the panning problem prior to purchase but was so taken back by its pq and colours that i thought - what the hell - its a small price to pay - so long as its not to frequent - for the pq and screensize your getting for your money - and i paid £1549 from Comet! Also, Toshiba have been in the RP market for years, so its a pretty good guess that its going to be a good set - apart from the panning - it must be something simple..............

9. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went the other way to Soni but have to agree that the PQ on Telewest is definately worse on cable than Sky. Can't comment directly to your question though as I'm still using my old faithful 29" 4:3 Sony for TV.