1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem Axium Or Optoma RD50

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by evolution400, Nov 9, 2004.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Why is the choice so hard !
    Both same price
    I want a silver TV RD50 is black.
    The RD50 has the new HD+2 chip and more inputs !!!!
    I have seen the Axium in comets and was impressed even the sky feed was acceptable at distance of course becuase of the crap quality of SKY.
    I havent seen the Optoma anyone seen them both and can coment ?
    I have read all the posts but cant find anyone who has seen them both and can say which is better.
    Thanks.

2. mfairclough

mfairclough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw both machines at the Hammersmith show. The Sagem was running the same HD demo via a PC that can be seen in Comet. The Optoma RD50 was running a HD demo disc via a Denon DVD player connected by DVI. It's difficult to compare as the Sagem was being showed at it's best whilst the Optoma wasn't. I also saw Monsters Inc played on the Sagem using a cheap DVD connected via S Video. It didn't look that impressive and had some jagged lines towards the top of the screen. I saw the same disc played on the Optoma and it looked great (way better than the Sagem), but again we're comparing cheap DVD + S Video with good DVD + DVI.

BTW I bought the RD50 while at the show and am hoping to get it early next week. Having seen them both, I prefer the dark colour and am confident that the Optoma will perform better than the Sagem as it has the HD2+ chip. It also has HDMI/HDCP making it more future proof. Finally, I have read that the Sagem has some funny quirks e.g. intermittently switches itself on, sometimes has a large black bar to one side of the screen. I have heard some of these quirks may be to do with it being built for the european market. The guy from Optoma said that their demo RD50 set had no such problems and had been specifically designed for the UK market.

3. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the reply I am leaning towards the Optoma myself, just wish it came in silver as all the rest of my kit is silver :)
    Yes I heard about the Axium doing crazy things so that has put me off really.
    Let me know what you think of your Optoma when you recieve it as I would be getting one around xmas and so far looks to be the Optoma.

4. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi mfairclough - I would be extremely interested in hearing your views once you get your new set installed at home, and you get to road-test the beast.

There's been a lot of interest in the Optoma, so I do hope you'll be posting your comments on the forum to let us know how its behaving. :)

5. mfairclough

mfairclough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll let you know how it goes - don't think I'll get it before Wed 17th Nov

6. stevomacca

stevomacca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    any updates?
    i'm torn between the two also.
    I'll mostly be watching sky & dvd's (via dvd player & pc (which is best btw?)).

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the screengrabs of the Optoma RD50 & photo's i took with a Canon on the show us yours thread. Of course if you paint it silver it just might possibly void the warrenty.:devil:
    The only thing against the RD50 is that u need a PC to play Region One DVDs so steer clear if u are PC phobic & have a large R1(NTSC) collection of
    DVD's. :nono:
    The Sagem 50" also has a HDCP problem that might not get fixed .There is the Sagem Axium 45" that should give the same quality as the RD50 if you don't mind going smaller, perhaps someone will put some screengrabs of it so u can compare .You really cannot tell much from a photo of the set the quality of the screen. :cool:

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    If you like consoles at 60hz or have a large region 1 collection then forget it. Get the HD45.

9. stevomacca

stevomacca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks, i'll most probably use my laptop as a dvd player so the r1 problem is not that big a deal to me.
    just out of interest, why doesn't r1 dvds work?

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    The optoma rd range cant display 60hz which is what NTSC is.