1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem Axium HTD501DLP

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jackuzi, Jan 3, 2005.

1. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was browsing the plasmas in the local Comet today, (just like I have for the last 2 years deciding if it was time to buy!!) when I saw the Sagem 50" DLP RP model. This is the sort of picture I've been waiting to see on a plasma!! I take it this is the same as the HD-D50 but rebadged for Comet?

Anyway, I think this is a cracking unit and for the first time for a long while I feel there is a true contender to entice me to part with my hard earned wedge!

I have been trawling the DLP posts to make sure this would be a good choice but, to be honest, the words are starting to blur :zonked:

Can someone put me right as to whether this is worth buying and if there's anywhere with a better price than the £1999 Comet have it for (yes I've done the usual trawl through pricerunner/kelkoo/priceguideuk). I can't believe the only other 2 retailers I can find have it for only (up to) £50 less?!?!

Also, anyone want to chip in with comparable models please feel free.

Many thanks peeps,

Glen

2. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am chuffed to pieces with mine, can't recommend it highly enough.
    Only thing I would say, is make sure you sit at least 3 metres away for the best results, though of course this is true for all large displays.
    A few people on here seem to have axes to grind, not sure why. I can only repeat how pleased I am with the Axium I bought.

Phil.

3. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phil :thumbsup: , as I say I thought that this was the best display in the shop and they have a lot on display!!

Have you noticed any of the lip sync problems mentioned elsewhere on this forum?

Also, where did you buy from in the end?

One last question, how does Sky look through it? (assuming you've got Sky :blush: ) this will be the main role for the one I'd have.

Cheers mate,

Glen

4. Muffminer

Muffminer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have noticed that all comets i have been too with this Television play Hi-Definition material to get the best out of the television. Just warning in case you saw the hi-def picture and think normal tv viewing will be same.

But i have heard good reviews of the TV and most people seem to be happy with their purchase. I have the Tosh DLP currently.

5. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I have to say of the TV's I've seen so far the Sagem was the most impressive and thats from a totally impartial view as I don't own a DLP rear yet!
    I'm a frequent visitor to the TV sections in most stores and I've also had a good play around with the Toshiba 46WM48P and the Samsung SP50L7HX.

I spent quite a while with the Sagem and would probably have bought it if it wasn't for the lack of a HDMI connection.
    I have viewed it with some pretty terrible sources (the dredded in store feed)
    Scenes with clouds or dark areas had a sort of pixely effect on them but I think thats the short coming of DLP rears as I've seen this on the 3 sets.
    I've never seen a rainbow effect on any of the TV's and to be honest I think it's a bit of a joke when as suggested you have to shake your head side to side very fast to see it as pointed out on site linked to from here recently.

The things that stand out for me on the Sagem are the excellent vewing angle and the non reflective screen.
    To round it off the Picture Quality is the best I've seen.
    I only wish I could have an opportunity to view the other TV's with a Hi Def source.
    However thats not going to make the viewing angle or the reflectiveness of the screen any different

6. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies on this. Any recommedations of what dvd to take in to get them to demo for me? Makes me laugh when they get out their well worn copies of Nemo or Shrek! :laugh:

Also can anyone confirm the audio delay issue as mentioned in another thread and whether this set suffers from it. I think if I bought one of these, set it up and found lip sync problems when playing DVD's I'd go ballistic! :suicide:

Cheers

7. Sir_Baron

Sir_Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently got a Sagem Axium 50" my self, and yes mine suffers the lip sync problem but its using the .51 software revision which is supposed to be quite old, as .64 is out i believe. However i didnt really notice the lip problem much but i dvd's look fantastic! I use the RGB connectors on my dvd player and progressive scan and they look great, i also have it as my pc moniter now :D the tv has suprassed my expectations!

I will get sagem to update my software soon and see if that sorts out the lip sync but at the moment its not bothering me that much.

8. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Not in the one in Gypsy Lane retail park in Luton. was in there at the weekend to get a cable for the pc. had a wander and finally the 50 inch sagem. picture not good. asked a very disinterested assistant (she was not a youngster, she saw me looking at the set asked if I was thinking about getting one, I said yes and she carried on strolling past !). I buttonholed the assistant and asked what signal they feeding through and she told me 'from the arial on the roof, thats why the picture quality isn't good'. what a shower. especially as it was obviously not a broadcast channel being shown - it was a Comet promo with excerpts from dvds, Comet logo and advertising etc. Do they have they own secret broadcast channel that only their ariels can pick up <g>. So just what do they feed through their sets. and why oh why don't they give a stuff.
    Set was impressive nevertheless. Big as well.
    I think I will wait for the 45 incher. I sure hope they fixed the NTSC glitches.
    My old 32 inch CRT supports both NTSC frequencies and it growing whiskers now. for a new set not to support it is bad news.
    My old widescreen has about had it so kinda more that a passing interest in this set.
    Does anyone know where they will be stocked and setup properly so that jo-schmo-customer can go and really assess them.
    As for Comet - only went there for the USB cable as it was bank holiday. Wouldn't darken their doors if avoidable.

Of course will need to get prog scan dvd and speakers to suit the sagem I fancy the Denon 700 package so will investigate it a bit forther to see if its man enough for the job.
    That a cheap source of replacement bulbs for the sagem....
    I bet there is some pent up demand for the new 45inch model - or am I the only one dribbling..

Steve

9. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought mine from John Lewis, I got a 5 year warranty included, and free delivery.

I have had no problems with Lip synch, I have tried audio taken from the back of the set, and via optical cable from the DVD player, not seen a problem.

There are also no problems with NTSC material. I looked very hard at some R1 NTSC dvd's, and could find no sign of the juddering or any problem at all in fact.

My set is on software version 062, I don't know if this is why I haven't had a problem....

As far as HDMI is concerned, I have been told by Sagem that they have an upgrade planned for this month. I was assured this would be fitted for any customer who requests it. This can be checked by ringing the very helpful help desk on 0870 2488227.

10. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh on the subject of sky...
    I made a solemn promise to my Grandmother on her death bed that I would never give one penny to Rupert Murdoch.
    I do have freeview however, and the pictures look great. On very few occasions they seem to limit the bandwidth on certain broadcasts, which takes the picture from excellent to ordinary, but I can't blame the set for that.

11. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phil, you've practically convinced me that I need this set :D

Did you buy from JL online or from a store. I've checked the site and can't find it?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much it cost you?

Cheers,

Glen

12. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Dont talk to me about john lewis mate they are the worst company I have ever dealt with !
    I ordered mine on 27th I then called on the 2nd to confirm the order they said yes all fine we will call you soon for delivery date.
    I got an email through yesterday saying my order has been cancelled due to security check problems *** I am buying a tv ! the real reason was john lewis have stopped selling the TV and didnt have the stock and wouldnt order me another they did offer me £30 off my next order......... which will be never !
    http://www.uk-plasma-tv.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=77
    I got mine from here with 2 years on site warranty and its cheaper than john lewis in stock and sending it tomorrow for me :)

13. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one, wish you luck with it!! My biggest (and last) fear I need to overcome is whether the set will be too big for where it needs to go. I've done the measurements and it'll fit physically but will it look overpowering.

I was wondering if it would be possible to return, if it didn't look right, under the distance selling regulations? I know it would be a bit cheeky but I'd rather that than wearing my nuts as earings coutesy of my wife!!

14. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Please understand that the software upgrade does not fix the HDCP problem.
    The latter would require a hardware board change.
    It merely brings up to date the software on older sets such as mine.

Alan

15. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am hoping they offer the HDCP upgrade as the Sagem is the best suited TV for me really has DVI for my PC good contrast I have seen it in actiona nd looks great, going in a big front room so size wont be doninating as I have 32" at the moment and its looks like a portable he he :)
    oh yeah and the mrs likes the colour :)
    But realistically if they offer the new board free then great but I myself would give a donation if it meant the TV would support HDCP anybody else with me ?
    Well within reason of course if they said 500 I would say kiss my... :)

16. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    The distance selling regs allow you to return goods for ANY reason within the first 7 days.

However the goods must be undamaged & re-saleable. You would be advised to take care of the packaging too when opening it.

For the actual cost of the return, you are only liable to pay the return cost if they have advised you of this before completing the sale.

Obviously for faults the retailer should always be liable for costs to return goods.

17. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone explain how to get my DVI connection to fill the screen? I understand that the VGA settings are irrelevant to the DVI connection.
    I have managed to get my PC desktop full size but with black bands either side :mad:

18. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am using 1280*720 and that fills my screen with no black bars.

19. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1280x720 isnt available on my Radeon card, I've tried 1280x768 @ 56hz & that creates the correct aspect ratio but masked by the black bars?

20. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  21. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that originally but from what I've read it only affects VGA connection & makes no difference to the DVI input at all? It's as tho the DVI is stuck on 4/3 aspect ratio & whatever I do to the desktop it just moves around behind those black bars :rolleyes:

22. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well I am speaking from my own experience I plugged in my DVI lead for the 1st time and the TV was in 4:3 I played with the tv controls to zoom etc they dont work on DVI mode so I then altered the res to 1280*720 which I added via powerstrip then applied the res job done no borders at all I have an NVIDIA 5800 card though.

23. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: :clap: :smashin: :smoke:

It worked :D :D Thanx & I do believe it's better than my progress component connection :p

24. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have seen the Sagem in Comet several times Hidef fantastic DVD was good not sure about the connection used .Tv feed was poor picture not very good .Last time i saw it they were showing a cookery program & it was quite good.
    The reasons i did'nt buy was no HDCP on the DVI input if Sagem don't bring out a fixyou won't be able to get HiDef from Sky in 2006 the other reason was it only had a HD2 chip & tends to suffer burnt out whites at times.
    I bought an Optoma RD50 ( costs the same) it has the HD2+ chip u get a greater contrast ratio i read somewhere that they increased the tilt of the mirror from 10 degress to 12 & made the background blacker.Lamp life is also longer they quote
    10,000 hours
    The picture with DVDs is fantastic (some DVDs are better than others but that true no matter what set u use)telewest varies from very good to poor depending what channell is on football is not so great but that has more to do with sky & the bandwidth they use on the diferent channels.
    The RD50 does have its own problems its not region 1 compatable. A region one DVD has judder & is like watching a jerky TV picture definately not DVD quality.
    It also came without a manual, i downloaded one & it was very basic & the HDMI adapter was missing.
    If u don't have any region 1 DVDs it's a fantastic set & highly reccomended.
    All of the DLP sets have problems at the moment the samsung 50" looks fantasic but the problem there is the price.The new Sagem 45" HD2+ might be the answer we should get some feedback in the next couple of days.

25. watersa@ntlworl

watersa@ntlworl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Having had more time to examine it with different DVD's I find the AV7 Progressive connection is the best picture for DVD. The DVI is awesome for gaming tho of the PC