1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem Axium Hdd50h

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dUnKle, Sep 23, 2005.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    Anyone have any info on this set - seems a bit of a bargain for screen size etc

I have to say I know NOTHING about DLP sets, but my Dad is after a flat screen panel so may be flogging him my Hitachi Plasma and getting myself an upgrade

Would I be ok with this set ?

I would be looking at connecting - DVD Player via Component, PC via DVI and SKY via Scart - also XBox360 as and when it comes out

Greateful for any advice (including if anything where I could get one interest free)

2. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had this box and replaced it only because of the HDCP problem with the DVI port. This can be got around with a £50 adaptor now but at the time prompted me to upgrade to the 56". The Picture Quality on the 50" was stunning (I mean very very good - even with poor source feeds) and with the set-up you describe, you should not have any real problems.

Make sure the cables are the best you can get and the Sky is connected by Scart RGB on Medium setting. The PC should be fine but if you need tuning (I don't think you will) then the powerstrip software is the best to use (http://www.entechtaiwan.net/ and go for the 3.61 download middle left hand side (free))

These sets Burn-in like a Car engine running-in so they get better after the first 100hrs use. For the price, I think it is a bargin but the new models are more highly tuned and look better to me.
    Cheers:hiya:

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    so what should I know about DLP

Is it better than plasma for a start

Should I perhaps go for the 50" Samsung

I really am at a quandry for what to do

and whats the HDCP problem ?

4. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The PQ on the DLP (for larger screens) is reckoned to be the very best over Plasma and then LCD. Plasma are brighter but with the newer DLPs coming out offering 3000:1 and higher, there is no need to worry about this. With 1,000,000 mirrors each taking one pixel each of the image, the DLP is bound to be picture perfect for HD feeds. On Low Def feeds (such as TV and most Sky) they can have problems (mostly on the larger screens) but no more than plasma in the same size configuration.

DLP is lighter and gives a natural uniform picture. Plasma can leave burn marks on the screen is left in one setting too long (like PC screens which need a screen saver). And also plasma are not fixable once the gas has been upset or screen broken. DLPs are very robust needing only a bulb replacement after a couple of years heavy use.

You will not be able to wall mount a DLP as even the slimmest have a chunky base but they are designed now in various guises so the old square box is not the only option anymore.

I have had the 50" (Which had the best PQ in the market in my opinion and now the 56" which is superb with a HD image) both from Sagem which I am sticking with as the market leader (IMHO):D

The HDCP problem was a one-off limited to the Sagem 50" (old version) which had DVI but not HDCP encryption facilities (needed now for HD DVD and SKy broadcast. HDCP is std on all new devices and the 50" can get round it with an adaptor anyway.

5. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    oh god my head is hurting

the one thing I prefer over the Sagem is that it seems its "desktop mountable" where as the Samsung has the stand and thus no place for my centre speaker to go

so if I went and got the 50" Sagem I would not be able to make use of anything other than dvi ?

6. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you got the Sagem you will be able to use EVERYTHING :thumbsup: including 4 scarts 2 component (one progressive one interlaced) svideo, PC VGA AND DVI. The DVI socket in the old 50" is not set to receive HDCP encryption (only issue) but with a DVI magic adaptor or somesuch this is done for you, so even HDCP is fully able to connect.

I hope that clears things a bit;)

7. leealtman

leealtman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dunster... I am intrigued as to the HDCP adapter that you are referring to which fixes the old Sagem Auxim 50´ problem. I had read it was not fixable and now amy reconsider buying one if this really works ( and at 50 quid!).

PLease can you give us a name and or link on this since I cannot find anything so far on DVI magic adaptor for Sagem.

Thanks,
    Lee

8. gtione

gtione

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey

The new 50" (HD-D50H)that is now available has got twin HDMI inputs with HDCP compared to the older one only having one DVI-D input. The new set also has Built in free view and a photo card reader with a six in one adaptor. Brightness is up by 200cd to 700cd/m2 and the contrast is up to 3000:1. It also uses Sagem Crystal Motion. A vast improvement over the old set. Although most the Currry's and Comets only have the 45" soon also to be replaced, They all have a HD video feed going through them for a demo. Worth while to check out.

DLP = NO screen burn, lower power consumption, anti reflective screens and a much higher value/price ratio.

Hope that helps......

9. martinkatie

martinkatie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the old Axium 50 which I have had for nearly a year and think the picture is sperb, much better than any plasma I have seen.

My only gripe is the HDCP. What sort of adaptor do I need (I have a Denon 2910 DVD player with a DVI output) to overcome this. Any recomendations?

:confused:

10. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7