1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem Axium HDD45

Discussion in 'TVs' started by psalliss, May 29, 2005.

1. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    seriously looking at getting one of these. but have a couple of questions, if i may.

1. ive got kef egg speakers, is there enough room on the stand that comes with it to place the centre speaker in front of the the base of the screen where the sub is. if not are there any other decent stands where i can do that??

2. how deep are the blacks in relation to a crt tv??

3. can you get the colours bright and vibrant??

4. does anyone know anywhere thats doing a good price on them at the moment??

cheers

2. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    1. ive got kef egg speakers, is there enough room on the stand that comes with it to place the centre speaker in front of the the base of the screen where the sub is. if not are there any other decent stands where i can do that??

there is no room in front of sub, and the stand does not come with it, you need to pay seperately.

2. how deep are the blacks in relation to a crt tv??

i have found them very deep, easily as good as a crt.

3. can you get the colours bright and vibrant??

yes. the factory set modes are pretty much spot on.

4. does anyone know anywhere thats doing a good price on them at the moment??

nope, but i'm sure someone else will answer this one.

3. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thanks for the reply.

1. didnt think there would be, where do you guys put the centre speaker in this instance. or are there any others stands that will have the space that are a bit deeper. or do you put it on the shelf below or get an extra speaker stand and place it behind.

2.3 excellent thank you. as a side question is it worth also buying a hdi compatible dvd player or is the difference not that great. and if so what players do you recomment around the £400 mark.

cheers

4. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Get a cheap dvd with component or hdmi output and save your money for the arrival of HD DVD/Blu-ray (or PS3) high definition players once the war is won.

5. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    psalliss,

Firstly, i have found many internet companies have good deals on this tv, however you need to trust in their service and delivery schedules. I have been using a company called avwow.com - very good service and prices.
    In terms of a dvd player, I like you wanted to invest in a decent player, and demo'd several but was dissapointed in the picture quality - so i then tried some budget players and found surprising results from the pioneer 575 for around £100. Im sticking with this player and saving my cash for a high def player when they arrive on the scene in the next year or two.

6. saikoubaa

saikoubaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am expecting delivery for my set from John Lewis later this afternoon. Though you could get it for 200 less at avwow.com remember that with JL you have a 5 year parts and labour warranty and you will almost certainly have the bulb replaced by them. If there are any niggles with my set I will be sure to let you know. Regards

7. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    cheers for the avwow link riva, theyve got them at a good price and with next delivery as well. i may well use them. at present ive got an old ish onkyo player, but i would like to get a new player as well to take advantage of the dvi input.

went to have a look at the tv on monday as very impressed, you definately have to sit a little bit away from the screen to get the benefit. very nice picture, far better in my opinion than equivelent priced plasma.

saikoubaa- did the set come what are your first impressions. cant wait to get mine as at present ive got an old 28 inch toshiba set which i bought for £60 second hand about 6 years ago. so am definately due a new set. ive got a few films that ive bought but havent watched yet as i wanted to watch them on a decent tv. ive the last 2 lord of the rings films the extended collectors versions and star wars to watch. should look very good on the screen.

8. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    PSalliss - make sure you watch these films especially with a component based progressive scan DVD player and I am certain the colours and textures will jump out of the screen for you. I started with cheap RGB scart cables and fell over when I saw the difference the component leads gave. Without this the LOTR films can be very black and gritty and you don't realise the depth of detail on the outfits and the armour etc. IMO The Sagem is fantastic at showing textures and strong colours with the right input source.

Cheers

9. dave68

dave68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saikoubaa, just FYI re the JL 5 year guarantee, I contacted JL regarding this (via a warranty helpdesk number)as to whether it includes bulbs, they informed me it definitly didnt (although when I had enquired previously in store they said it did......)

Id love to get a definitive answer on this....

I was of the same mind as you re JL until I discovered this re where to buy etc, so maybe avwow etc represent better value. But hard to know until the buld issue is properly resolved

Dvae

10. Jinxy

Jinxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Currys have this on offer for 1799 which in theory JL should price match.

Steve

11. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    so they do cheers mate is that a web price though or would they honour that. may give them a call later

12. Jinxy

Jinxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Its in the shop...almost bought one today.

Steve

13. saikoubaa

saikoubaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,
    Good point about the warranty. They did say 5yr parts and labour and I will keep my receipt and give them hell should the time come and they refuse to change the lamp.

Having said all this I am in escstasy land and grinning from ear to ear! my set was delivered on wednesday and I am watching all my favourite DVDs again. The picture is absolutely sensational connected via component for dvd. Freeview and vcr are connected via scart and they are both top notch. I am yet to notice a single incident of the rainbow effect said to be associated with dlps neither are there any movement or panning problems. Just dont sit closer than 3m when watching especially broadcast TV. So far this is 2 grand I am very happy to have spent!

Saikoubaa

14. psalliss

psalliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    well looks like john lewis wont price match them, as this is there reply.

Thank you for your recent email regarding price matching.

Unfortunately, we do not price match with stores or other websites. As we do not claim to be 'Never Knowingly Undersold' on our internet site, there will be rare occasions when you will find items cheaper on other websites.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment this will cause.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at customerservices@johnlewis.com or please telephone us on 08456 049 049 anytime between 7am and Midnight, 7 days a week and a Customer Service Representative will be happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely

Rebecca Hill

Customer Service Representative

[THREAD ID:1-23UFC]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 4/6/2005 02:02:24 PM
    To: <customerservices@johnlewis.com>
    Subject: General Enquiries (no particular branch)

im looking at buying the following item Sagem Axium DLP Television, HD-D45, 45 Inch within the next 1-2 weeks. and have seen the tv at currys on sale at £1799 and wondered if you would price match that price.

http//www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID@@@@0061680480.1117885976@@@@&BV_EngineIDccdhaddekkjkmjjcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&pageProduct&sku152030&category_oid-20098&fm3&sm0&tm4

kind regards

phil salliss

15. Jinxy

Jinxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I was more intrested in getting them to price match in store as there is both a JL and Currys in Milton Keynes.

Steve

16. syclonesjs

syclonesjs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just registered here but been looking over the forums for a little while.

I've pretty much made my mind up to go for the HD-45s after viewing it and also reading all the info on here. What a wealth of info this forum has to offer!

I have a concern after doing all my reading up. Does the set take an NTSC signal as i have a US Xbox and Game cube as i've always prefered the slightly faster 60 hertz, the Ps2 is Pal so thats no problem, also i doubt i can wait for Pal xbox 360 and PS3 so will be after imports.

Is there a different way i will need to connect them?

Also is this TV perfectly suitable for a main room TV that is in constant use as i work from home?

Thanks in advance

Si

17. badhairday

badhairday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi First post

Don't have this tempting display (YET) but have the specs and some answers....

1. The Sagem accepts...

DVD (NTSC) 480i
    DVD/DVB (PAL) 576i
    NTSC/PAL PROGRESSIVE 480p/576p
    HI DEF 720p
    HI DEF 1080i (SCALED)

2. I have my US gamecube connected via progressive component on my
    Tosh CRT and it looks great.

3. I wouldn't get an imported XBox 360. All regions will be released in
    November running Hi Def output. And you can't rent or trade in your
    old titles in GAME.

4. If I worked from home, I would find it a major distraction!

Hope this helps some.....

BHD

18. syclonesjs

syclonesjs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

that all sounds fine then! :D

I know what you mean by distraction my current tv is on all the time, but with Lamp life of projection sets i think that will have to change.

I'm 95% sure the sagem is the one for me but i still keep reading up on these forums bout other models! the Sammy 50 inch is amazing.

I'm just hoping the rainbows dont spoil it, so far ive not seen this effect demoing various tv's at stores.

Cheers

Si

19. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had a look at the Samsung 50 at the weekend in my local JL. Very similar picture-wise to my Sagem HD-D45 I would say. Despite the bigger screen I couldn't notice anything better about the piccie at all, and I did study it for some time. For the extra grand in my pocket I think I'm better off.

20. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The rainbow effect does diminish when you live with the set. I really like the sleek design of the Sagem. Most of the other plasma and DLP sets now have a very wide bezel which is effectively dead space to me.

21. syclonesjs

syclonesjs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do really like the style of the Sagem, i have found the Sammy 50 for £1982 and the lowest i've found the Sagem is £1700 but thats thats "s" version, cant decide if want the full version

Grrrrrr nothings ever simple!

goods news is I may be able to get the TV at cost what ever i choose! :D not def yet but here's hoping eh!

Si

22. dog-man

dog-man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I butt in and ask those who have a hdd45 what the dimensions are and also, is the tv capable of standing up as it is, or would I have to buy a stand to actually view the tv?

Any idea of it's weight?

I already have a large strong unit which could support it.

dog-man :lease:

23. andy aceter

andy aceter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello dogman,the sagem is 106x79x37cm (h,w,d) its about 28 kg,my tv stand has the sagem at about 22" of the ground and we think its a perfect height for viewing(we sit approx 10 feet away) the stand we are using is only a cheap mfi job!!

24. dog-man

dog-man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but will it stand up on it's own or is a dedicated stand required as is the case with a plasma?

dog-man

25. andy aceter

andy aceter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the tv is free standing

26. dog-man

dog-man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks.

My stand is 64cm high, so I would think it is too high.
    Pity as it holds all my equipment.

I don't suppose the sub woofer at the base comes away from the tv, or am I wrong in thinking it is the sub woofer at the bottom?

dog-man

27. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    What places do you get them at these prices? Currys?

28. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    64cm high is only a few cm more than my stand and I get excellent viewing from anywhere from 6-10 feet away and more. You could also consider chocking up the back of the TV to angle it to the perfect position. True the TV does require close to straight on viewing from a height point of view but the sagems have excellent wide viewing angles. The consequence of getting the height angle wrong is a darker screen but from the side it is not an issue until you are almost side on to the TV.

Rgds:hiya:

29. dog-man

dog-man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When viewing analogue teletext with this tv, is it full screen or just a square in the middle of the screen?