sagem axium hdd45

kourosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi people im new to this site which is very good and over the last couple of weeks reading reviews i decided to signed up yesterday :thumbsup: after reading about the different dlp sets available and deciding after weeks and weeks to go for the tosh46" but today i popped down the comet store and saw the 50" sagem running high def movie clips and sport and the picture was absalute amazing!! ive seen the tosh but only running through scart and the sammy the same has any 1 seen the tosh display high def pictures and then to top it off ive just seen the new sagem hdd45 advertised on the web which has a 3000-1 contrast and i must say the set looks cracking so im back to square 1 :rolleyes: so please give me some help :lease: thanks for your time

Hi Kourosh,
It took me months to decide which TV to go for having considered plasmas then lcd's and finally dlp's. Then which dlp? I had it down to the Sagem 50 or the Tosh 46. Personally I believe the Tosh is a better looking set than the Sagem but thats subjective.
Then I saw the hi-def demo on the Sagem in Comet and wanted the Sagem for what I believed was a better PQ than the Tosh. Then I was in the US a few weeks ago and saw the Tosh displaying various hi-def channels (lots of them in the US) and realised the Tosh picture was easily as good as the Sagem. Finally, when I realised that the Sagem might have a problem with receiving 'pure' hi-def pictures in the future due to the lack of an HDMI interface my mind was made-up to go for the Tosh. I am now sitting in my lounge waiting for delivery this afternoon of my Tosh !! BTW - I got the Tosh for 1482 delivered from Sound and Vision.

What has HDMI interface to do with receiving "pure" Hi-Def material??
HD45 can receive "pure" Hi-Def material aswell as the tosh.

The Sagem 50 does not have an HDMI interface, only DVI, - I was referring to the 50 not the 45

thanks basset that info is very usefull the only thing that im worried about is the hdmi or dvi as the tosh has hdmi and the sagem has dvi cause the next set that i buy i want it to at least get 5 years out of it and when the next generation dvd players that use high def dvd films its gonna be fine i read on a different forum that hdmi has better sound than dvi but then again i thought dvi didnt carry sound so at the moment im just going round in circles big ones :zonked: i never thought choosing a tv could be so stressfull i just know what tv i get is gonna be the wrong 1 :oops:

DVI does NOT carry sound, only video.
Just to clarify my meaning of 'pure' for wmadoss, the HDMI input on the Tosh will support HDCP encrypted material to be sent to it in its original digital form for both picture and sound. The DVI on the Sagem 50 will not support this.
You are right Kourosh, this has been one of the most confusing and stressful decisions but it shouldn't be. Any of the three sets you have mentioned will give you a great viewing experience. You can wait around for the next best TV to be produced or the next one or the next one..... or you can just buy one and start enjoying - exactly what I'll be doing tonight !

the sagem 45 is only dvi as well so what do you go for hdmi or dvi what are the + and -

Yup I know about the HDCP issues on the sagem.
This is however only a probnlem with future broadcast and STB´s and IF (and they probably will) use HDCP.
U can get DVD players with DVI with no HDCP aswell and also watch Hi-Def materials from a HTPC with the 50".
But if u are thinking of getting sky with HDTV u have a problem if u would go for the 50" sagem (the 45" is fine though).
HDMI on a tv is not a major concern for me though since I would never use the TV for sound anyway.

Qualitywise DVI and HDMI are pretty much identical in terms of picture quality.

thanks for info wmadoss but can sum1 tell me what hdcp is please,also ive seen a few tv connected to pc's do u get better picture when watching high def stuff or is it the only way at the moment to get high def

Apparently DVI and HDMI are very similar in picture quality. HDMI supports the future hi-def broadcasts which will be copy-protected whereas the DVI on Sagem 50 does not support this. I think that is pretty much the difference between the two. There are of course no guarantees regarding hi-def broadcasting standards in this country but my bet is that they will be encrypted using HDCP. Sky has already confirmed they will be using this standard from next year.
Just got a call - delivery guy is 40 minutes away with my Tosh so I'm off to get the room sorted

good luck basset :clap: what dvd player are you going to connect to it

Also want to say that DVI is also capable of HDCP so thats not always a problem however on the 50" model the DVI is not HDCP compliant.
HDMI actually adopted the HDCP from DVI, most plasmas today have DVI with HDCP.
And so u know kourosh HDCP is just a way of encrypting the signal to prevent digital copying.

thanks wmadoss thank god 4 this site

thats cleared up a lot of things for me too :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom