sagem axium hd-d45 review

thekingbeyond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just reading home cinema choice theres a good review of the sagem axium hd-d45 which gets a `best buy` , they did mention video noise with a feed through the dvi socket ."Blocking and mosquito noise in a dvi feed to a distracting amount".
No mention of the screen problem thats been posted on here, they also compare it to the sagem 50, saying it was free from grain and dot crawl unlike the sagem 50

Are these magazines worth the paper they are printed on the the Sagem Axium 50
had reviews last year giving it 5 stars.
If you have a look at the current What Hi Fi Sound & Vision magazine you will find it in the back lumped in with all the widescreen CRT sets & it has had a price increase to £2800 & now only rates 3 stars they comment only worth considering if you really need a large screen.
I saw the Sagem 50 & i had a demo of it with DVD & in my opinion it is a better set than the HD45. The biggest fault of the HD45 is it does not portray faces well.Anybody watching the Hi Fi Demo's in Comet's watch out for the Formula One demo & have a good look at the faces, they are not real looking the set has a problem with skin tones the rest of the picture is good which makes the poor faces stand out.
I am not having a go at the magazines because they gave my set a poor review as the Optoma RD50 was reviewed last month and got 5 stars,
a pity the reviews are worthless the only thing you can rely on is a demo
& even then you might reject a set because the picture was poor but a better set up set / demo might have a much better picture.

That review frankly isn't worth the paper it's written on.. trust me there are far better TVs about for £2k.

Andy.

I think its a shame that the HD-45 didnt pull it off. I had so much going for it. A real shame, my father was going to get a HD-45 but after people such as Andy and a few others have had such a bad time with the set I have told him not to bother.

I was also confused how home cinema choice didnt pick up on all the faults. They are usually very good. Im just thankfull that people are posting their problems informing others of its weakness.

I may have a faulty set so I can't say whether the issues I've seen are representative of the TV in general. Having said that the frostiness isn't a fault and there's no way I can understand how anyone is prepared to compromise their picture quality like that on a £2k TV!

Andy

Razor said:
I think its a shame that the HD-45 didnt pull it off. I had so much going for it. A real shame, my father was going to get a HD-45 but after people such as Andy and a few others have had such a bad time with the set I have told him not to bother.

I was also confused how home cinema choice didnt pick up on all the faults. They are usually very good. Im just thankfull that people are posting their problems informing others of its weakness.

It might be possible to improve picture quality if they reduce the brightness
or modify the screen to let less light through. I hope so DLP, sets will have a reputation akin to the Skoda's of 30 years ago if sets keep on being introduced with problems. :(

Andy

I totally agree, £2,000 on a tv which doesn't perform doesnt make sense. It just makes you wonder who field test's these models. ie. Sagem - frosty screen, Optoma - NTSC judder, etc....

The tv performs admirably, settings are touchy, but get it right and PQ is excellent. Andy, I'd get an engineer out to see your set...get it changed. If you really don't like it there's no point in keeping it...

B.K

It's already on it's way back! Well I'm just waiting for JL to collect it...

Andy.

I was looking forward to buying a dlp to replace my tosh crt rear projection but there just doesnt seem to be one with out a problem. Based on p.q. the optoma seemed the best, but around 80% of my discs are ntsc and i dont want to run a htpc.

HTPC's are very good, but I can understand you not wanting to have the hassle of one.

theking..... have you checked out the Samsung 50 L7 it's come down in price & is supposed to be very good & there doesnt seem to be any real problems. The only two i've heard about need to be confirmed. There was a minor screen issue where moisture got between the screen layers & it needed a 10 second wipe down to get rid of it.Might be allright with later sets? I've heard it might not be able to display 1280x720 with a PC through the DVI input but this needs to be confirmed.

Bound to be more DLP sets coming out this year but be cautious not one set so far has been error free some problems have been minor others major. DLP rear projection at it's best has fantastic picture quality which is why most of us learn to live with any problems they have.

Lion said:
it's us lot that are testing them for their makers !
we are the guinea pigs... that's why they don't seem to put up much of a fight when peeps want to return the sets :devil:

These companies should send out 100 sets to people like us to field test them, I know I wouldnt mind. :devil:

I wonder if sony would let me field test their new 70' rear pro. :D

I got mine yesterday, I think the picture is pretty good (excellent with my Pace freeview & great fun with Sony PS2) I do have 2 major niggles though, really annoying high pitched whistle from the power supply & incompatibility with HDMI on my DV868 DVD player. I will be calling Comet tomorrow and insist they either swap the set or refund my hard earned. I think DLP needs a couple more years development to be perfect. I wish I was into golf or something..... alot less hassle ;o)

Sounds like you've got a dud one there AVnut70. No high pitched whine on my set. As some other owners have HDMI working fine, it doesn't seem to be any general problem with HDMI. The Pio 868 has proven 'twitchy' before on other (non-pioneer) displays. If tweaking the DVD players settings doesn't work, then try asking tech support at Sagem. Shouldn't be too difficult for them to get hold of an 868 to do a test with.

AV Junky said:
Sounds like you've got a dud one there AVnut70. No high pitched whine on my set. As some other owners have HDMI working fine, it doesn't seem to be any general problem with HDMI. The Pio 868 has proven 'twitchy' before on other (non-pioneer) displays. If tweaking the DVD players settings doesn't work, then try asking tech support at Sagem. Shouldn't be too difficult for them to get hold of an 868 to do a test with.

AVJunky, I think you are right and the Pio may be to blame, Im taking it to my local hifi dealer today and am gonna get them to hook it up to one of their displays, if it works ok with that then I guess it'll be going on Ebay and I'll be purchasing another player. Of course Im so pleased I'm going to have to spend more money on av gear!! ;0)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom