1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem Axium HD 45 questions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ferry, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Ferry

Ferry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have this TV which i think is great, however, there are a few things I've noticed about my set and was wondering If anyone has experienced similar.

1. Hooked up to my HTPC with Nvidia 6600 set at 1200 x 720 (i.e. native for the Sagem) I notice the TV blinks. (using DVI)

2. To get the full picture from the HTPC on the screen I need to adjust the overscan compensation of the Nvidia to around 1140x704 so that the sides are not off the screen. Why should I need to do this when the native resolution is 1200x720. Also on this adjusted screen size I don't notice any blinking.

Any thoughts?

cheers

2. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    1280 X 720 Is The Native Resolution For All Of The Sagem DLP Not 1200 X 720

I use the DVI on a ATI X600 With the Resolution set at 1280 X 720 and the Refesh Rate set at 50Hz and it works fine.

3. Ferry

Ferry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, meant 1280x720, nevertheless, is there something wrong with my tv?

4. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Very Unlikely it’s a fault, it sounds more like a setting problem.

The Image will not fit 100% e.g. Where the My Document Icon is Part of the M of My is not visible this isn’t a fault it was designed to be like that so you don’t have black bars round the side of the image.

How far is your image off by? If it is only a little then it’s fine.
    The flickering sounds like the Refresh rate is set wrong.

Settings
    1280 X 720 at 50Hz Or 60Hz
    Use DVI Centre Timings (Don’t know if this is available with Nvidia)
    Reduce DVI Frequency (Don’t know if this is available with Nvidia)

5. Ferry

Ferry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The image fit is as you describe, so that's normal, fair enough. The Nvidia setting have various timing options available, I'll try to mess with them and see what I can find.

Thanks v much

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Intersesting you should mention this - I saw a HD45 in my local Comet yesterday hooked up to a mini PC with Sagem splashed all over it. It was playing back a WMV HD disk or clip. About the first thing I noticed was that part of the WMV-HD logo in the bottom right corner was off screen which I thought was odd.

I wouldn't have thought it was supposed to be like this - we're not in the bad old days of CRT when overscan was necessary. I'd hope that there would be some setting in the menu to correct this.

Also have to say I wasn't particularly impressed by the picture quality - although that may have been as much to do with the quality of the clip than anything as the focus in some parts seemed a bit iffy. Certainly wouldn't have convinced me that HD was any better quality than SD.

7. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The Demo Video you see on any Sagem HD products is not HD it's SD MPEG2 with a very high Bitrate.

The overscan has been on all of the Sagem DLP's i've had. When I asked Andrew The Technical Support Manager For Sagem UK he said what a said early on its there so you don’t have black bars round the side of the image.

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmm... Why doe they brand it with WMV-HD if it's not even HD? That's dubious at best.

But you wouldn't have black bars around the side of the image anyway unless the Sagem is doing something to the image it shouldn't. I might understand this if it were zooming 4:3 material or something that's not quite as wide as 16:9, but I can't see the use in cropping active image.

9. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sagem HD-D56B and I have the EXACT same problem, the whole screen doesn't fit onto the Panel! (Bit's of it are chopped off!)

I am using an Ati Radeon 9600 Via VGA - I'mma mess with Powerstrip later and see if I can fix it also but just wanted to post to tell you that you are not alone.

10. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    When the TV’s is being transported they get knocked about.

To stop customers having the problem where you get a gap between the image and the end of the screen they make the image bigger than the screen.
    You can’t see this unless you are using a PC.

Have a look at any DLP and they all will have the image bigger than the screen.

I’ve had 3 HD-D50 and 2 HD-D45 The first HD-45 was Comets fault taking it out of the box upside down. But all of them had the image larger than the screen if this was a fault with three models the HD-D50, HD-D45 and HD-D56 don’t you think they might no be making DLP anymore.

If the image is worse than you can’t see the whole of the M of My Documents on the VGA. Make sure you have the Auto Image set to YES in the install Menu. I use to have the Powercolour 9600 set at 1280 X 720 and it worded fine. If you already have the Auto Image on then turn it off and try to adjust the settings in the PC Data Menu.

11. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    But you can counter that easily by having adjustments in the set-up menu... The vast majority of CRT sets (other than very small screens) I've come across allow you to reduce picture height/width so it can't be that difficult to do the same with a DLP/

Or unless you happen to run a test card when setting it up upon delivery, which is what I imagine most people on these forums would do, or if you happen to know the source material pretty well and are wondering where the edges have gone...

12. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    All of the Sagem DLP has a fixed position.

The only way of doing would be to take the back off and move the lens forward or would it be back. Which Sagem Tech has done if there are alignment problems?
    I’ve read about people who had a problem where the picture runs up hill on the Samsung and Sagem. I fact when I took my HD-D45 back to Comet some bloke was there with his Samsung SP46 with that problem.

When I played with the Toshiba and Samsung I didn’t see any options on there menus to change the picture position.

13. Ferry

Ferry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I set my Nvidia to compensate for the overscan, which works out very nicely btw and gives astounding pictures with 720p (and 1080i/p), is there not more work being undertaken by the HTPC. Say the source is 1280x720, the Nvidia converts that to 1260x704 (cant remember the exact figure). But if I forget about the overscan and just leave the card to output at 1280x720 then there is no conversion leaving system resources for all the other fiddling I can do with TheaterTek (and I've not even started with FFDShow :confused: )

14. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you think about it outputting anything lower than 1280 X 720 means you are not getting a True 720 HD picture.

Don’t know if it uses anymore processing power.

My self I would leave it how it is when your watching a DVD I have never seen any difference, I mean were only talking about half a CM or less on each side.