Sagem Axium 50" To Replace

M

mpress

Sadly I recently took delivery of a Sagem Axium 50" DLP and like sooo many others now realise that it doesnt do what it says on the tin!

Therefore I need to choose a replacement for my Sagem 50" Axium that is HDCP etc and I am not nearly as clued up as most of you seem to be! What do you think would be the best option for replacement? I would ideally like to stay at 50" and dont really know which way to go... i.e. another 50" dlp depsite the fact most seem to feel the Sagem Axium is the only good DLP or plasma that has critisism also and costs a fortune for 50"???

Apparently the new 50" LG plasma is pretty impressive despite being very pricey compared to what I am trying to get John Lewis to take back!

Any comments also on where I stand with regards the fact this Sagem was portrayed as HD ready and even the model is 'HD'50... have I been mislead and do I have recourse?

This is my first post on AV Forum so I am sure in time I will learn to be more brief!!! ;)

Thanks in advance and go easy on me as I am not as technical as you guys seem to be! I have worked out what PQ means though!!!! :thumbsup:

Marc

Mpress

You may have a hard time reclaiming your cash as the sagem hd-50 can display HD material just not encripted HDCP material which is what sky and some new dvd players use. The HDCP is only applicable on the DVI/HDMI connection and wont be impilimented on the component connection, so you can recieve and display HD material via this connection. Therefore the sagem hd-50 set is technically able to display a HD picture, just not one via dvi or hdmi.

The only angle I can see where they might give you, your cash back is if you insist that you bought the set to use the DVI connection solely for its superioir quality over the component connection.

Good luck I hope you get it sorted.

First of all, welcome to the forums! If you definitely don't want to go lower than a 50" screen that rules out the Sagem Axium HD-D45 which is a 45" screen but is HDCP capable (it's the lack of HDCP compatability that means the 50" won't work with Sky HD etc). I'm not too clued up on what 50" screens are around as that was too big for my requirements so I didn't look into those products too much. Toshiba do a 52" model (52WM48) which has had good reports (approx £1900) and there's the Samsung 50" models which are very well rated too. Would it have to be something John Lewis supply then? There's also the Optoma RD50 but that's no good for NTSC material so if you have a lot of Region1 dvds in your collection then it's probably a non starter, if not it is supposed to be very good!

Cheers,
Andy.

mpress said:
Sadly I recently took delivery of a Sagem Axium 50" DLP and like sooo many others now realise that it doesnt do what it says on the tin!

Therefore I need to choose a replacement for my Sagem 50" Axium that is HDCP etc and I am not nearly as clued up as most of you seem to be! What do you think would be the best option for replacement? I would ideally like to stay at 50" and dont really know which way to go... i.e. another 50" dlp depsite the fact most seem to feel the Sagem Axium is the only good DLP or plasma that has critisism also and costs a fortune for 50"???

Apparently the new 50" LG plasma is pretty impressive despite being very pricey compared to what I am trying to get John Lewis to take back!

Any comments also on where I stand with regards the fact this Sagem was portrayed as HD ready and even the model is 'HD'50... have I been mislead and do I have recourse?

This is my first post on AV Forum so I am sure in time I will learn to be more brief!!! ;)

Thanks in advance and go easy on me as I am not as technical as you guys seem to be! I have worked out what PQ means though!!!! :thumbsup:

Marc
go for the SAGEM AXIUM" HD-D45 ! John Lewis also supply this set. It is HD ready and you probely wont even notice the loss of 5 inches against great pictures. + you will have more of a chance of an exchange with john lewis than a refund !!! :smashin:

I get the impression John Lewis are intending to offer me an exchange to the HD45 I just havent decided if losing 5" of the diagonal which obvioulsy means across the top and side too bothers me as I am used to the 50" size now :rolleyes: and I really like the HD50 that I have but I guess no-one likes to buy something that seems obsolete from time of delivery!!

If John Lewis offer me the HD45 I will then have to decide on whether this is a good replacement or whether to haggle for a different 50" or negotiate a stupid price on a 50" plasma if they act as though its their fault and they want to put it right... :eek:

Its a hard call as there are so many options! But thanks for the opinion.

I doubt plasma will be a viable alternative, the only 50" plasmas John Lewis have are £5k! The HD45 is a good option in so far as it's compatible with Sky HD and HD-DVD etc, just depends as you say whether you'll miss those extra 5" (but lets face it 45" is still a big tv!). If you really can't lose the 5" then see if they'll do the Toshiba 52WM48 perhaps or even the 46" Tosh, only losing 4" then!

Cheers,
Andy.

HI Andy,

I guess the biggest difference between the Toshiba and Sagem is brightness and contrast ratio which the Sagem seems to win hands down...
:suicide:

the toshiba is a good set, i have seen the 46" in action, pictures are good and it has HDMI. But i would still go for the Sagem hd-d45. Get this screen set up propely and the PQ is stunning. :smashin:

when I checked with John Lewis they could only supply the 46 Tosh , not the 52

sikenny said:
the toshiba is a good set, i have seen the 46" in action, pictures are good and it has HDMI. But i would still go for the Sagem hd-d45. Get this screen set up propely and the PQ is stunning. :smashin:

Good call sikenny, hope you are right, get my HD-45 Wednesday. :thumbsup:

God "EASTENDERS" must be boring mate,did we wake you up ? :hiya:

The optoma rd50 is your only real close rival to the sagem. It does have a better more advanced chip (HD2 +). But it can t do NTSC (region 1 dvds) without juddering. If this isnt a problem then give the set a demo.

I have been watching my R1 DVDs for several weeks now on the Optoma RD50 using my PC to play them & the quality is superb

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom