Sagem 56" purchasers please look in URGENT

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by pjclark1, Aug 5, 2006.

1. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have just been notified by my credit card company that it has been fraudulently used for purchases of about £1500 over the last 3 days. What is unusual is that I have only ever used this credit card with three companies.

AV-sales almost 2 years ago (panny plasma)
    paypal as my registered card for 2 years
    EmpireDirect six weeks ago (sagem 56)

You should all be checking your transactions just in case.
    The credit card company have already told me that it will not be my or their loss but the companies who have been posting out goods.
    Just a heads up for you all.

2. hufartd

hufartd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    There is a current thread about empire direct and an allegation of them forwarding email addresses to third parties.
    Could it be that your CC has been comprimised through paypal email login.
    Or do empire direct have general security problem?

3. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Before you point the finger make sure you've researched properly, curiously my card was compromised two weeks ago too, my credit card company had noticed a £2 charge for a train ticket, apparently the crooks are now using computers to randomly hunt for card numbers/expiry dates/security codes with small transactions, once they get a hit a few days later they shove some big purchases through the card. The card company locked my card before any large transactions could go through.

So from what I was told by the guy at the credit card company your card can be cracked without you ever using it, this is all dependent on the shop sending goods to somewhere other than the registered card address which is why as you've said the shops will suffer the penalty for sending goods out to no registered addresses.

4. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Interesting info hufartd, for the record I purchased a 56" from empire two months ago so maybe they have a security leak of some sorts. You'd think it wouldn't be hard for mastercard to notice a common retailer on defrauded cards and crack down on them fast.

5. hufartd

hufartd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
  6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I don't see how.
    My CC details for paypal were entered nearly two years ago, only the last 4 digits of my CC are listed in my paypal account, the 3 figure verification code is also not listed (even if they could login to my paypal account). My physical plastic CC has never left my side or ever been shown to anyone or inserted in any machine.

The goods ordered start the day with a small £2-£5 transaction (TAGO or something similar to that to test the CC is active) then increase quickly to items of £500 from Komplatt & Cameras4u. The security code would be needed for the purchases.
    I am not blaming any company for this, it is a risk you take when you use a credit card, nor can I see how any company could protect itself from an employees actions. I just want you all to make sure your CCs are not misused ASAP.

Luckily the only cost to me is 10 minutes of my time taken in answering the phone call from the CC company and signing a form to say I didn't authorise the transactions. A new CC is already on the way.

7. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,756
    My credit card was done a month or so ago. Not very much money as Virgin picked up on it very quick. They first off did a £1 transaction to see if it worked, then spent £250 on some US betting site along with a few other places. Which makes me think it was some random number generator that was used.

The very helpful woman at Virgin said this sort of thing was very common. £1 transactions always go through without any need for authorisation, so the fraudsters use that to test if the number is genuine.

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I've seen several claims that CC numbers are generated.

To me it just seems like a lie issued by CC companies to try and give consumers confidence in the system. CC number, security number, expire date all generated at random ..... how likely is that. (komplatt and camers4u both need all three for a valid order)

The 3 credit card frauds I have had were twice someone in a shop copying my details from transactions and once by nicking my CC from the post.