Sagem 56" Connections

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by scookar, Mar 25, 2006.

1. scookar

scookar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I've had the Sagem 56" (can't remember the model name) for a while now connected to my Samsung HD-850 dvd player. I've been using a HDMI-DVI cable to connect them and was v happy with the picture.

However, recently i decided to use the DVI port on the tv for my pc and switched the DVD player to component. Have noticed a significant increase in picture quality as a result. Attack of the Clones looks so much with a less noisier picture, more vibrant colours, and seemingly more detail.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences? My understanding was that component and dvi would give similar pictures but it definetly seems that component looks better. Could there be something wrong with the way my tv is processing the dvi picture?

2. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Does the Samsung upscale component outputs? If not, this will explain it - the Sagem has a very good upscaler, probably better than the Samsung's. Thus, sending DVD resolution to the TV will probably result in a better picture than sending 720p, because the better scaler is being used.

3. scookar

scookar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think you are prob right. Not sure if the Samsung upscales the component output but that would explain it. Tried out another couple of dvds this weekend and there is definetly a difference.