1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem 50 : DVI vs HDMI

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by digitize, Jan 22, 2005.

1. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Questions re DVI of Sagem Axium 50 :

Can anyone tell me why the manual of Sagem50 states that the DVI port (PC2 in) is "recommended for a PC equipped with 'DVI D' socket... What I'm trying to point at is, how will it accept DVI feeds from non-PC DVI sources like DVD players and digibox.

Even the review from 'What Video & Widescreen' says that 'the DVI input is geared for PC and not for DVD replay'.

Can Sagem users who have used the DVI input comment please...

Would it be possible to feed the Sagem50 with HDMI input (though video only) using an HDMI-DVI adaptor?

In general, what is the competition/differences between HDMI and DVI?

2. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Digi,

The manual states this because that is exactly what the inputs are designed for PC input via DVI. I suppose this was Sagem's way of informing its customers that the sets werent able to display images from DVD via DVI or HDMI. Something to do with the HDCP(not sure if I spelt this correctly or not).

Having said that I have viewed images from my Samsung DVD player via DVI and the images are very good. (The Samsung is one of those few players where you can switch off the HDCP.

Have a read through these forums where several users have commented on the Samsung player (look for some post from Hellicopter). Also, keep an eye out for some possible software/hardware upgrades (FOC) expected for the AXIUM soon.

3. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As regards to Sky's (and BBC too?) announcement that only HDMI TVs, and DVI with HDCP-enabled TVs will receive their upcoming HiDef broadcasts... How true (do you think) is this?

Will Sagem50 receive the broadcasts even though its DVI has no HDCP?

Are there any other HDMI dvd players (aside from Samsung), whose HDCP can be disabled?... Looking further, will there be HDMI Digiboxes, whose HDCP can be disabled?

Note : this could be one 'decisive' issue for buyers who are choosing between the Tosh, Samsung, Sagem, and Optoma DLPs... especially those who need/want to buy NOW, not later...

4. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Quite likely I'm afraid, makes sense from their point of view.

Sagem 50" won't be able to display broadcast without modifications to the DVI input board (replacement). Sagem says that they will have a modification at some point.

HDMI digiboxes without HDCP, don't think so. An HD Sky box will most likely be made under licence. The signal will have encryption encoded, probably looking for HDCP I would imagine.

Bottom line, if you want to recieve HD Sky make sure you buy with HDCP or take your chances. :thumbsdow

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    digitize

As others point out the key to interfacing an HDMI source with a DVI equipped display is being able to input an HDCP encoded signal (see http://www.hdmi.org).

The Samsung player discussed above has now had its HDCP switched on - after Samsung came under pressure in Japan and the US to 'sort it out'.

SKY have said they will broadcast HD in the 720P(50) and 1080i(25) formats - with some (NOT ALL) content having HDCP applied; so if your TV has a DVI socket that's not HDCP enabled and can accept 720P(50) and 1080i(25) you will receive some programs but not others.

The European governing body that sets standards for TV broadcasting in Europe have this week set out a standard that defines what an HD Ready TV for Europe must be able to receive and display; it'll be interesting to see which manufacturers make adjustments to current models to ensure they meet the new standards.

See http://www.eicta.org (I think the sites down tonight - probably too many AV nuts hitting it in one go).

Best regards

Joe

PS Also worth noting that when you get into the nitty gritty there are differences between Video over DVI and PC signals over DVI - the black level can differ resulting in grey blacks when viewing a digital Video signal on a DVI input that's 'configured' for a PC; you'll want to ensure your TV has PC and Video setting on its DVI input!

6. Karl

Karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know whether this helps or not but here goes. I was tempted by the Sagem Axium when I saw it running in a Comet store. Superb DV picture running from a PC HD. So impressed that I thought I would upgrade my DVD player and buy the TV. Bought Denon 3910 (HDMI and DVI enabled). Took it to Comet where the extremely helpful staff set my player up with the TV. Unfortunately we could not get it to work - there were significant picture interupts which looked like an encryption thing. You know like when trying to access sat TV channels that you do not have access rights for. I believe it is because this TV is not HDCP compatible. This is a domestic use encryption protocol imposed by the DVD movie community to prevent piracy. You must buy devices that are HDCP compatible (both DVD and TV). I have a Samsung SP50L7HX which is compatible with HDMI and works well (it does have other problems but that is another story!). See "Home Cinema Choice" Issue Feb 05 page 120 for a good article on HDMI/DVI.

Karl

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello Karl

The 'In-store' Sagem demo is running HD material from a PC - it ought to look pretty good.

Best regards

Joe

8. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    box office and sport are reported to have hdcp

9. johnsagem

johnsagem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just found this in home cinema choice:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7340

Looks like there isn't going to be an upgrade to handle HDCP. Do you think this is grounds for getting a refund?

If Sagem want to be taken seriously in the Home Cinema market they need to sort this out.

10. johnsagem

johnsagem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7347

Sky has confirmed that HDCP is going to be a must for Sky's High Definition broadcasts.

This is very depressing! I spent 2 grand on something I hoped would last me for years, now it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade in a year or two.

Lets hope Sagem have a change of heart r.e. the upgrade. It's a great bit of kit otherwise.

11. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    They dont seem very forthcoming with info when you call them. On the otherhand, sales staff at COMET are telling customers that SAGEM will be providing the UPGRADE free of charge.

This is all abit frustrating I know!!