Sagem 50" DLP

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mad Mikeyboy, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Im thinking about buying a sagem 50" DLP which comet have got in but im a bit wary.
    I just had to get rid of my sony 42" LCD RP set cause the picture quality, especially through sky was so poor. The flicker while watching footie drove me mad.

Can anyone offer any advice on this set and where I can see any reviews of it?

2. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Yo

What vid and HCC have both reviewed it, gtreat reviews. If you're near a big comet they should have one on display.
    Yeading and Guildford both have HDTV demo running.
    It looks fantastic but GF thinks its too big.

John

3. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Never too big.
    Only if it doesn't fit through the front door thats what i say. :)

Have tried to find review on HCC / What TV but can't seem to find it. Tried the review search and could only find LG and sim2 as options.

little more help please not very good at this.

4. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Yo

Reviews were in the mags, they dont put the new ones on www.
    Wheres your nearest Comet ?

John

5. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've already seen it in comet but i'm not much of a "tech head" when it comes to this sort of stuff and I find the guys in comet end up bambooziling me with technical information. I just dont want to get it home and find i get the same problem as i had with the sony LCD RP set.

They assure me in Comet that it wont but they'll tell you any old Cr*p to persuade you to part with your hard earned.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although DLP still a TV. Moving to appropriate forum.

BTW,best of luck with it.

7. exc!aim

exc!aim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a brief review here and info on the sagem website

I was really impressed with the picture especially the HD demo video Comet had running off a PC.

Does anyone know how the picture compares to the Pioneer 434HDE plasma running off a HD feed?

8. Nocturne

Nocturne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A brief review in what hi-fi s & V "ultimate guide to televisions" one off mag, 3 stars out of 5, Against, "Picture suffers from unwanted artefacts and digital noise; struggles to handle fast movement."

9. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hmmmm.... beginning to think not such a good idea cause my main problem with the sony set was the flicker while watching footie and as for the grand priz....forget it. I think someone in an earlier thread called it "frame refreshment rate".

Anyone heard about this on the sony sx300?

And will it be as bad on the sagem?

Im told a plasma in the same price range as the sagem i.e £2800 will do exactly the same thing. Im not looking for that elusive "perfect picture" just one that stays in the right place on the screen and doesn't induce a fit if you watch it too long.

IM AS CONFUSED AS A BABY RACOON!!!!

10. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Now had the Sagem for 6 weeks and have been very pleased with it.
    Superb picture using HD Euro 1080 and good on Sky+RGB which it scales up to 1080i.
    Only issue is that looking at Comet displays ,Geometry can sometimes be poor and is only adjustable manually.
    Never seen the artefact problem referred to in What Video.

11. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    ahh well, too late now any way. Just bought the set today and will get delivery in a weeks time. Heres hoping its as good as its cracked up to be.

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,142
    Afriend of mine has been looking at this set in Comet. What is your opinion of it now you have had it for a while ? It's been getting good reviews in mags other than what hifi.

13. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am still extremely happy with the Sagem and the HD Demos currently on the Astra Sat are fantastic,especially the French loop.
    Nevertheless , I would also say look at the new Samsungs before deciding.

Certainly , in my opinion (but not of everybody on this forum ) Rear Proj. DLP is the way forward for High Def.

14. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll wait and see.

My problem with DLP is the rather strange 'frosted glass' look to some images, and particularly whites - something I find quite distracting and it gives a rather artificial look to the picture. I am also not sure on it's longevity either, I've read that 6,000 hours is tops? that's about 5 years or so, not much better than plasma.

So far, I am not persuaded that, in spite of their many advantages over CRT, that any of the new media are the way forward because ultimately, they are all inferior when it comes to the overall picture performance, and in particular, the fact that LCD and plasma are not true colour displays; I do not know if DLP is or not. They use a technique called dithering around the areas where it cannot display the true colour - effectively use two colours either side of the shade and switch between the two to give the illusion of that colour. This is very noticeable in dark scenes and I cannot watch any display with this effect - it looks hideous.

I think I'll stick with CRT based vision for now...

15. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 6000 hrs are correct if you mean the lamp life, the bulb is reoplaceable though, has anybody who bought this TV made enquiries at Comet what a replacement lamp would cost?
    The rate i'm watching 6000hrs would equate to 2 1/2 years.
    Otherwise i'm very interested in the TV unlike some i think it has a better picture than any CRT i've seen and without the geometry and convergence problems most large screen CRT's displays exhibit.

So again i would be very interested in theprice of replacement lamps, anybody who has this TV knows?

thx,