1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sagem 45 questions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Grobnic, Aug 7, 2005.

?

Should I buy?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2005.
  1. Sagem HD45

27.3%
  2. Sagem HD45 S

18.2%
  3. Something else

27.3%
  4. Wait until more options are on the market

27.3%
  1. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've narrowed down my search to the 45" Sagem TV with my only choice between the 45 & 45'S' versions. I also have a couple of other questions you guys may be able to help with..... :lease:

I know the 'S' version differs by the following...
    Only 1 tvtuner, No Dolby 2.1 sound & No VGA Connection
    As I have Sky+ I assume I only need 1 tuner to get PiP working, could anybody confirm this?
    What does a VGA connection do? Will I miss it?

My wife prefers the silver finish, it's cheaper and as I have 5.1 sound the lack of 2.1 is not an issue.

General questions

Has anybody found a code for the Sagem 45 on the Sky+ handset?
    As i have small kids (young rather than stunted :D ) I will get handprints on the screen at some stage, is it as easy to clean as a CRT?

The eventual set up I am planning is to feed the Xbox360 in via the component input, the DVD in via Scart and the Sky+ HD in via the DVI port. I already have the Xbox and Sky+ connected to the 5.1 via optical cable using a 3 > 1 router. Any comments on this approach? If there any flaws in this idea now would be a really good time to know.

I've spent hours today trying to see rainbows and frosty screens but I can't see either (neither can the wife) so I've decided to stop worrying and take the plunge.

I've been reading stuff on these forums for a few weeks and you all seem to know your stuff. I'm keen to ensure I'm not missing anything before I get my wallet out so any comment, help or guidance would be most helpful. :smashin:

2. Doylum

Doylum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a Samsung SP46L6HX - It's just as good and cheaper.

3. bogie

bogie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

I've just been through the same dilema. I ened up going for the HD45-S as I preferred the silver and it looks slightly less intruding without the side speakers (which can be removed).
    You can still get PIP between any 2 input sources (i.e. sky and DVD etc) on the S, just not 2 analog chanels at the same time, no big loss.

Only down side is I am now going to be goin onto my 3rd 45S. (1st made a high pitched whislte and the current one suffers from exessive pixel crawl) If the 3rd one ain't OK I will try the Sammy next.

Cheers

4. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bogie :hiya:

Thanks for addressing my questions, you have confirmed what I thought was the case. I don't think any of the differences between the HD45 & the 'S' versions are a issue for me so it comes down to looks and cost. At the moment the HD45 seems to be being discounted more than the 'S' version so I may go for the HD45 anyway. I'll hang on a little while to see what prices do.

A couple of further questions if you don't mind.... :lease:

I've just found the HD45 version has 'smart sound volume control' which is one of the functions on my current set I find very useful (this equalises the volume between channels), can you confirm this is also and option on the HD45 S version?
    Who did you buy from? was the service good?

I hope you current set proves to be the biz. Reading these forums issues with new DLP sets seem to occur with all the manufacturers from time to time and you'll find a horrors story for every make and model, so you have not put me off the Sagem.

5. bogie

bogie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

From what I remember there is a smart volume function on the 45-S.

I got it from Currys, service was OK. At the time Currys were the only ones selling the S.

My comments weren't to put you off, just for info.

My current set is still with me. I looked at many sets over the weekend and nothing I saw, looked as good to me as the Sagem.

One other thing the 45 has that the S doesn't is a PC1 via a 15-pin D. Didn't bother me. I really preferred the Silver too!

Cheers