Safety: Securing a freestanding pedestal

socrates1

Established Member
Reaction score
I have aPanasonic 42PA40. This is secured to a pedestal stand which in turn is sitting on an AV table in a bay window. It is quite stable as the pedestal stand is relatively wide. However we have a little girl (and also a baby) and I can foresee when she is a little bigger or stronger that she could push it over from behind, or worse pull it back on top of herself and/or the baby. Wall mounting isn't an option. The expensive solution is to get a new television with a fixed table mount, but I was wondering if anybody would have any ideas about the current set up. The only thing I can think of is superglueing the stand to the table for some extra grip! Thanks

How about barbed wire around the base of the stand, should act as a sufficient deterrent :smashin:

Har de har !! Electric fencing would have a better WAF.

Anybody have any constructive ideas ?

I wouldn't want to superglue, as you'll never get it off, but some large wodges of blutak will give it a fair bit of extra grip after time with that weight on it. Or some of those double sided sticky pads.

You need to get advice off that guy who went Norman Bates on his kids for putting one finger within 3 feet of his plasma!

On newer plasma stands they have a small hole on the bracket to enable a strap to be screwed down or even a screw directly into wotever its sat on...

I wouldn't want to superglue, as you'll never get it off, but some large wodges of blutak will give it a fair bit of extra grip after time with that weight on it. Or some of those double sided sticky pads.

Thanks for the feedback. Hadn't thought of that. Will definitely look into it.

I've been thinking about this same issue as we're about to buy a plasma, to be mounted on a TV stand in the room corner. As stated above it seems most plasma stands have a hole and strap or screw to attach to whatever it is sitting on.

Problem i'm seeing is that most of the stands we've looked at are glass, so how are you going to screw/strap something to it...??

The bluetack seems a possible partial answer, but not sure I would really want to rely on it with our 2 year old running around the place...

I'm actually contemplating getting a cantilever stand instead so it is all rigidly mounted.

I've seen before (I think with Pioneer) the stands having a couple of small holes to loop some metal wire through with the instruction that the TV also needs to be secured to the wall behind it.

I'm actually contemplating getting a cantilever stand instead so it is all rigidly mounted.
Just get a cantilever stand and be done with it. I got the Alphason AD3/96 to go with my Panasonic 46 inch and its fine. Takes a while to assemble, two people might be useful as the glass is 10mm thick and heavy. Two people are definately needed to hook the plasma on the arm.

Alphason | AD Series - Model: ADP3/96-PB

All the cables pass up through the hollow arm (I have got 2 hdmi, 2 SCARTs, phono lead in, phono lead out, optical out and mains) so you don't see cables dangling out under the screen.

It allows slight angling for optimimum viewing when my lounge is full and as the screen is set back have not had a single issue of the kids touching the screen (unlike the previous CRT).

Got mine from Empire Direct, so absolutely no use for you now....

Problem i'm seeing is that most of the stands we've looked at are glass, so how are you going to screw/strap something to it...??

A number of stands, mine included, have a hole in each glass shelf, intended for cabling. I guess you could loop some cable through one or more of these holes. Alternatively I guess you could pass some cabling through all of the holes and attach something the other end, below the bottom glass shelf, that wouldn't pull back up through the holes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom