Safe to buy an iPhone privately?

fatboy1983

Standard Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine (how many times have we all heard that one?! Genuine though) has been offered an iPhone by a colleague. This colleague (from what I can gather) was sent two handsets in error by Vodafone. He phoned them to let them know of their mistake and they said they would collect the extra unit. This was two weeks ago and he's heard nothing from them.

Is it safe for him to buy the handset and simply put his Vodafone (contract) SIM into it? Will there be any potential problems with the handset being identified as lost/stolen by Vodafone? Also, has anyone had a similar experience with Vodafone sending them out two handsets in error? Did they pick them up in a timely fashion?

Under these circumstances, I wouldn't touch that iPhone with a barge pole as Vodafone are well within their rights to retrieve the second phone. As an added incentive to getting it back, they are also likely to blacklist it, preventing it being used anywhere that takes a feed from the centralised EIR in Dublin. They would be able to lift the blacklisting once they got the phone back.

In short, there's a good chance your friend could be left with an expensive paperweight.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom