• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Safe temperaures CPU & HDD?

balkan

Standard Member
Actually a bit more info

I have 2 case fans controlled by a Zalman Fanmate 2. If I run the fans so the system is silent I get these kind of temps. These temps were taken immediately after the most "graphicy" movie I own.

after%20movie.PNG

sparkymark75

Prominent Member
If those are temps after watching a movie (1080p) and it's silent then it looks good to me. Mines is around that just sitting idle :eek:

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Those temperatures are excellent! IMHO any chip temp below 60 degs and any case temp below 40 will have little affect on the reliablility of your machine.

Tell us more about your rig.

In answer to your original question, my latest un-case-fanned htpc runs at 34deg c.

Last edited:

soitjes

Standard Member
I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature. I replaced the fan from my HTPC with a passive cooler, and temperature is between 90° and 100° C. I read in the manual of my motherboard that I should not go above 110°.

I'm running audio & video without any problem.

Soitjes.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature. I replaced the fan from my HTPC with a passive cooler, and temperature is between 90° and 100° C. I read in the manual of my motherboard that I should not go above 110°.

I'm running audio & video without any problem.

Soitjes.

If I were showing those temps on a cpu, I'd be very worried. What motherboard/cpu are you using? What passive heatsink did you fit?

soitjes

Standard Member
It's running now for more than a year, and during the weekends it's on all day. I have an intel d945gclf motherboard with Atom processor.

For the passive cooler see : Hardware

What should I be worried about ? I never go above the vendor recommendation.

Soitjes.

balkan

Standard Member
Tell us more about your rig.
I'll try. I knew next to nothing about the inside of a computer when I started this project, I've been learning on the job. Read up, buy a part. Read up, buy another... Now it is all done I wanted to know about temps. I'm very encouraged by your responses. :thumbsup:

I have an Antec Fusion. I swapped the regular fans for some Noctua NF-S12s. They are pretty awesome. 3 pin though. The Zalman Fanmate2 can control them between 4-13volts. I don't really know what that means but basically between silent and mildly irritating.

Most of my media is on a Western Digital Green 2TB while the system drive is a suspension mounted WD2500BEKT 250GB. I figured the laptop drive would be good for heat but it spins at 7200 rpm so in theory I shouldn't lose out on performance.

The CPU is a AMD Athlon IIx4 620, overkill, but every once in a while I need to do some encoding and I'd rather it not take days. Reading around, cores seemed to be the most important thing for this. I was worried about the quad but a really helpful poster here, Williamw11, assured me it would be o.k. I max the fans which usually I run silent and it has been going well so far I think. I noticed there is also an option to disable some cores in the BIOS but I haven't needed to yet.

It runs passively cooled with a Scythe Mini Ninja. If heat ever becomes a problem while encoding a guess I could get the CPU fan out of the cupboard. I usually line up some files for encoding then do it while I'm at work so noise isn't an issue in that regard. I haven't needed to yet.

My Gigabyte GA880gm-USB3 handles the graphics on board. I don't game and all my movies are DVD atm. A few files might be 1080 downloads, I can't remember, but I haven't run into a file it couldn't play faultlessly yet.

430W Nexus Value-430 True Power PSU (unbelievably quiet, I haven't heard a peep from it) and 2gb of DDR3ram and I think that's about it.

6 fans? Good god what kind of monster are you running?
No mate. That is just the way SpeedFan displays its info. The fans are 3pin so I don't think it can monitor them anyway, irritatingly neither can the mobo. I thought it was me but people are saying the same thing on the gigabyte forums. If you look closely it say 0RPM when in fact both of them are on. As long as the temps are o.k. I figured I don't really need to know how fast they are spinning.

BiffBoy

Established Member
have you tried to get the config for your motherboard to put into speedfan. Goto the info tab, click get config and follow the instructions.

Mine runs slightly hotter than than that with a Mini Ninja passive and the same case. 2 silent Noctura fans do all the work. Speedfan is set to only run at 60% speed max and mostly it's at 30 min (still cant hear at 30%).

Berties

Banned
Try and keep hard drives below 50 degrees, ideally under 45 degrees. As to CPU that depends on which CPU you have. Some run cool but others run naturally hot.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom