Safe spyware/hijacker removal programs

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by AlistairW, Feb 20, 2014.

1. AlistairW

AlistairW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, Grateful for any help.

Our Pc at home has got a hijacker/malware called "Mysearchdial" which seems to have attached to Firefox, Chrome and IE as well.

Norton Internet Protaction found nothing wrong even though I could see it! I've got Spybot Search and Detroy which I ran several times including as administrator and it seemed to fix a related file. Despite this it was still in there. I have manually reset each browser and removed this program from my "add-ons" or "extensions".

It must still be in my computer somewhere though. Does anyone know what anti-spyware program's I could download and run to try to help here. Some Internet stuff in a google search suggested a few but I have no idea if these program's would be safe - or if they are malware themselves. As I understand it some malware is disguised as anti spyware tools.

I'd really appreciate any recommendations of reliable tools.

Thanks,

Alistair

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    malwarebytes

Also hijackthis if you want to get your hands dirty checking whats loading at startup but be careful you can kill legitimate things which can break the OS. Hijack this can also purge some IE addon's.

Load browser in safe mode then disable mysearch dial extension, then exit browser load normal and remove disabled extension. Also check add/remote if there is an uninstaller for the add on. There are more detailed instructions here.

3. AlistairW

AlistairW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks - appreciate the advice. I will get onto it.

Still a bit annoyed that you pay for Norton Internet Security and it seems to serve no useful purpose ( in fact seems like a misnomer).

Alistair

4. edd666999

edd666999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Adwcleaner will remove it.

5. b1nx2003

b1nx2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i have come across examples of Norton being incompetent when it comes to detecting problems and wouldnt have any Norton AV/Security program on any of my devices, free or paid for.

6. edd666999

edd666999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I have seen EVERY security program being "incompetent." At the end of the day if you click on that advert that's telling you it will speed your pc up then click next yes yes yes i agree, NO security program is going to question you.

I work on machines every day and no AV is anything more than a tool that will stop certain behavior from programs on you machine. Most of the rubbish causing pop ups are doing nothing wrong as far as 99.9% of AV's are concerned.

Its all down to the user, don't download the contents of the Internets onto your machine :laugh:

Use chrome with adblock extension, have MSE installed and just READ before you click!