safe mode doesn't work. cant access externally either

shaolin101

Hi All,

My laptop will not load. It goes to the screen saying start in safe mode/last good configuration/normal but none work. It just tries to load and flashes a blue screen with some writing on - it is too fast to read anything though. Then it goes back to the safe mode options.

I removed the drive and plugged it by USB into the PC and it recognised it as 2 drives - a partition which had an empty folder and a main drive but it would not let me access this - it just crashed the PC.

Do you think it is a read error of some kind with the drive - guesing that I will lose all files on there.

It is an HP laptop with XP

Any ideas or help appreciated.

Thanks
Liam

andykn

Novice Member
Hi All,

My laptop will not load. It goes to the screen saying start in safe mode/last good configuration/normal but none work. It just tries to load and flashes a blue screen with some writing on - it is too fast to read anything though. Then it goes back to the safe mode options.

I removed the drive and plugged it by USB into the PC and it recognised it as 2 drives - a partition which had an empty folder and a main drive but it would not let me access this - it just crashed the PC.

Do you think it is a read error of some kind with the drive - guesing that I will lose all files on there.

It is an HP laptop with XP

Any ideas or help appreciated.

Thanks
Liam
Sounds like a problem with the drive. On the second PC right, in Explorer, right click on the drive > Properties > Tools tab > Error Checking > Check Now and select both options. You might be able to recover some files.

The partition with the empty folder might be a hidden Restore partition.

shaolin101

I will give it a try thanks.

managed to record the error message

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properlly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software, Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP:0x000000ED (0x6Z323800, 0xC0000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom