1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safe area on tv

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by samadeus, May 14, 2004.

1. samadeus

samadeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i produced a dvd and saw it well on a PC but if i play it on a TV screen, a part of the movie disappears. i have been told that it known issue of "safe area" that some TV'S have.

can anyone tell me how can i fix this problem? (the video file is uniqe abd i can't record it again.)

thanx alot

2. Mylesr

Mylesr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    Due to the way tv's are designed, they crop around 10% of material broadcast, this goes back to the old days of analogue footage that usually had a ragged edge on 2 or more sides. It's going to prove difficult to help your dilema. To "force" the safe area into the 4:3 tv format, I have used Adobe After effects to scale the original footage down. If you have XP and moviemaker2, you can achieve the same thing by playing with the aspect ratio settings. Pull a short (10 second) clip from your digital master and try various settings till you find something that fits.

Just to be sure, are you experiencing a picture loss on all sides of your footage or is it just the top or bottom?

3. samadeus

samadeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you so so so much for the particulary answer.

i didn't saw the problem by my self because the problem is only by my friend in US. and can't ask im now. but i am sure that that is the problem because in my editng program (DVD architect) he shows me the safe area and there is a big "flow" outside the safe area.

sory to bother you again but i didn't manage to find a place in MOVIEMAKER that allows to play with aspect ratio settings.

thanx again.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Adjust the geometry to remove the "Safe" area - this means you see more of the TV picture

5. Mylesr

Mylesr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    samadeus, my appologies. The software you can get free from microsoft is called windows media encoder, not MM2. You can adjust/crop etc with this. It does produce WMV format only though.

6. samadeus

samadeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    martin,

where do i this please? if you can be specific, thank you.

mylesr, can you tell me how and whre you do this in media encoder? "convert a file"? capture? and then, in which menu you can change the aspect?

as you see i am not a professional at all so please if you can be specific.

ta.

7. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samadeus,

All CRT televisions overscan the image, resulting in the loss of image at the far edges of the picture which you've experienced.

You can reduce overscan, but you will never eliminate it completely. The best you can hope for is overscan of around 5%. In this regard (and many others) computer monitors far outperform CRT televisions.

www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126885 links you to a thread which discusses reducing overscan.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thankls for the link I only know how to do Wegas