Safe amount of gaming?

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by pidgeynerd, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:27 PM.

Tags:
  1. pidgeynerd

pidgeynerd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much gaming hours would you consider to be a safe amount on an OLED per day? I have a new LG C8.

I do a mix of watching movies/shows and playing Xbox but want to do avoid the risk of burn in.

I probably average like 1-1.5 hours of gaming per day and 2-3 hours of movie/shows per day.

2. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I don't think anyone really knows with regard to the 8 models as not sure anyone has suffered burn in. This could be because of improvements made by LG or because the sets haven't had enough hours for it to start showing.

If we were to assume that the 8 models behaved the same as the 6 however, it really depends on the game you're playing. Anything with static bright yellow/red elements would likely require far less time to suffer burn in. Also, whether or not you had your OLED light on a high setting or played in HDR, would also have an impact.

So as you can see, there is no real definitive answer unfortunately.

3. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I game as much as I like on my E7 and I wouldn’t worry or set time limits.Ive done 6 hours continuous online but most times it’s about two to three hours so there’s no restrictions on gaming.

4. prezzy

prezzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,074
    I game at minimum a few hours per day and have done since day one with my B6 oled and have zero problems

Have done many 7 hour plus sessions with games in HDR

5. Jarski1978

Jarski1978
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and can you tell what kind of settings you are using for non-hdr gaming? Oled light, brightness etc? I have PS4 and I am wondering, if I let my kids use my LG E7 for gaming..and maybe sometimes I will also do little GTA :)

6. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    There's no "safe amount". It entirely depends on the content, as with anything else. One of the OLEDs in Rtings' burn-in test has been running the same Call of Duty game for 20 hours a day for over 6000 hours now and it has absolutely zero burn-in whatsoever. It's the most pristine one of the six they have running. On the other hand, the one they have playing a FIFA game does have some burn-in, because it has much brighter HUD elements. Yet it still took 32 weeks for that burn-in to start to appear on the FIFA TV, or almost 4500 hours of play. This is compared to the TVs running live CNN, which exhibited burn-in much sooner.

Games aren't inherently dangerous for an OLED, any more than any other kind of content. If you're only gaming for a few hours a day, the chance of you getting any is extremely minimal, especially if you're varying the games you play and watching TV/films on it as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. jpfigueiredo

jpfigueiredo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My concern is actually more related with "cumulative hours", rather than the "hours-per-day".

A very particular example is this game I'm playing right now (Persona 5), which has this huge, bright HUD at the top-left of the screen. Not only is it on pretty much all the time, but also it has very little variation.
    Being an RPG, 100+ hours of gameplay are to be expected as well...

[​IMG]

8. mad steve

mad steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    You are right to be worried about those, especially if you plan on playing for 100 hours plus...

But It's a real difficult one to answer as your not going to see any negative effects for ages, and you still might not.. ?

End of the day, you have to decide to either worry about it or just use it.. Not much anyone can say to help as no one knows. But I can promise you LG won't help 'if' you get burn in. Especially once the 12 months is up.

Hopefully you'll be ok tho as it appears red and yellow are the really trouble colours on huds..