• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Safari search window - how do I change it to google.co.uk not .com?

Hello.

I've had my macbook for well over 3 weeks now and im loving it however one thing that is annoying me is the search window in safari. Very handy don't get me wrong but its annoying the way it defaults to google.com. Is there any way of changing it to google.co.uk? I've had a look on google and not had much luck (abeit not a hard look). Also i've had a mess around with safari's preferences but not having any luck.

If anyone could point me in the right direction i'd be grateful

Cheers!

rob_finch

Established Member
Hi,

I tried to do this as well. The only thing I found on how to do it was that you made a copy of the Safari app and used an editor to change it's code. I can't remember the details exactly, as I got scared off to be honest, but I don't think there was an easy solution.

Empgamer

Established Member
What is it with be and bleedin' computers!!!

For all the praise it gets I've downloaded and installed InquisitorX but when I select its search source as Google UK all I get when I do a search is:

Safari can't find the server.
Safari can't open the page “http://www.google.co.gb/search?q=tigers” because it can't find the server “www.google.co.gb”.

Is it working for others by default or am I missing something here? I wonder if the url it's using is wrong and if so, how to edit it. Or is this just another application that don't work. Far too much to expect that you just download the ap and have it work I suppose!!!!

rob_finch

Established Member
What is it with be and bleedin' computers!!!

For all the praise it gets I've downloaded and installed InquisitorX but when I select its search source as Google UK all I get when I do a search is:

Safari can’t find the server.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.google.co.gb/search?q=tigers” because it can’t find the server “www.google.co.gb”.

Is it working for others by default or am I missing something here? I wonder if the url it's using is wrong and if so, how to edit it. Or is this just another application that don't work. Far too much to expect that you just download the ap and have it work I suppose!!!!

The URL is incorrect, it should be www.google.co.uk not co.gb as it appears to be. I have just updated to the latest version today and mine is doing the same thing, so it's a bug with the application.

EDIT: In Preferences, tick the "Display links to additional search engines box", edit the sites and include the following in the URL box :-

Code:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%@

It's only a workaround but at least it keeps you going until they fix the app.

Empgamer

Established Member
Thanks Rob. I actually downloaded and installed Acid Search which I like the interface of better so I'll stick with that, but thanks anyway.

breadbun

Established Member
I thought there was an Inquisitor for Camino?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom