Safari Freezing...?

Guy of Gisbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
An early niggle with my Mac Mini is safari keeps locking up. If multiple pages are open it only applies to one. I can open new pages and surf pages already open except the one that is frozen. All is well until I come to shut down,I get a message to close safari which is preventing shutdown! Unfortunately I cannot shut it down except powering off the computer with the 'on/off' switch which is not really ideal.

Sometimes when the freeze happens I am able to reduce the window (yellow button) and open it again but nothing else. Again I cannot shut down without holding the on/off button.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

I am also trying Google chrome but thus far the problem has only occurred with Safari.

Thanks in advance,

the colonel

I have had a similar issue where safari gets stuck open. It gets stuck in a loop and tries to open my home page and at that point no other tab works.
Like you and being new I too could not close it or shut machine off and I hunted around the launch pad to find a way of closing it like I would in Windows.
I use Activity Monitor and select safari and quit it from there.

@Colonel:
What Mac OS are you runninf on your Mac Mini ?
Does it have all the updates ?

What you can try as well is looking on the discussion forum on the Apple site.
Probably there are more experts that can help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I will try that Newfiedrool when it occurs again, however, I wonder what is causing it?

iChipie-I have only had the Mac a week and it is running Lion with all the latest updates. Good advice regarding the Mac forums will register and see what I can find.

Is this happening on a specific website?

No, it has locked up on Youtube and twice on the Apple support pages where I seem to be spending most of my time! I can't honestly remember which sites I was on before that.

Will try Google Chrome for a couple of days to see if there are any lock ups using that.

Camfire, is there a log you can access on Lion to see what has caused the problem? Being new to Macs I do not know my way around.

Regards,

the colonel

The Colonel, run 'Console' (Apple+Spacebar and type it in, or in Applications Utilities) and you'll find all the logs you've ever dreamed off :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom