Sadly, the Sony KV32CS70 is going back

DJ Mike

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just taken delivery of a replacement CS70 from JL Cambridge after the first one had a strange RGB flickering problem. Sadly the problem seems to affect all CS70s, since my second set still has the problem.

I'd accept that it might be my equipment were it not for the fact that both the Pioneer DVD player and the Xbox suffer from it, and to a lesser extent my Dreamcast and PS2.

JL said at the start that they'd give me a refund for my trouble if the second set still had problems - all the more reason that I can whole heartedly recommend them to anyone looking to purchase a television.

But sadly it looks like I'm back to the drawing board for now :(

M;.

I also have the CS70 and no RGB flickering at all. Both my Pio 444 DVD and my XBOX are just fine. My father had the KV32LS60 with your described flickering on the XBOX. The original MS-cable fixed it there.

So I guess it's just a problem with a bad cable! Have you tried another (expensive) one?

I'm tempted to splash out and get the official Xbox cable just to see what happens - at the very least if it doesn't solve anything, I'll have a decent cable for the future.

M;.

I have to say I have the same set and can't notice any of the flickering you describe.. When is it most noticeable?

Oddly enough I've noticed that when there are bands of green on screen against a dark background it can set it off.

Case in point, the Xbox menus have a tendency to set it off a little. Menu systems in general, in fact, are a good way to spot it, due to their static nature (and therefore whatever is setting the problem off is constantly there, rather than occasionally).

M;.

Oh, maybe on second thoughts I may know what you mean - can you notice it on a totally black screen ?

Paul Cooksley said:
Oh, maybe on second thoughts I may know what you mean - can you notice it on a totally black screen ?

A totally black screen doesn't cause it - it happens when there is actual picture information on screen. Another problem case I've found is the main menu on the Lion King DVD - lots of green there as well.

M;.

Oh sorry, Mike - my problem is my set top box causing flickering, say when you change freeview channels - when the screen goes black inbetween the channel change you can notice some horizontal flickering - but I don't think it's the same thing as you are describing then.

I'm curious - what kind of equipment does everybody have running to their CS70s? (DVD player make, etc)

M;.

Connected to my CS70, both through 21 pins ferrite SCART Cable :

- A Sagem Digital Stellite Receiver (RGB)

- A Denon 1710 DVD Player (RGB) --> not the top, but good quality/price ratio, and exceptionnal sound for the price...

No flickering problems of any kind, either with satellite receiver or DVD.

The only thing I notice is that, when I play a DVD-D recorded in minimal quality (SLP - 6 hours long), movement artefacts are inevitably visible. Setting the DVD Player output to Composite then helps reducing these artefacts. For DVDs or DVD-R of 4 hours or less, I always use RGB, without any problem.

I think my cheap and cheerful Pioneer may, infact, be too cheap and cheerful ;-)

I received a Region 2-only Sony DVP-NS355 free with my TV from JL - I may either investigate a region-free hack, or just buy another one (since the player is actually quite good, especially for £50) from Amazon which comes multi-region modified.

M;.

hey mike , described my probs to you before but ill describe my setup and where i get the flicker.

Setup is

32cs70
sony DVP-NS355 (rgb) no flickering ever
Gamecube (rgb) no flickering
Xbox (rgb) Flickering on 2 games
Ps2 (Svideo) flickering probobly wouldnt come into it.

I noticed you said it comes in on green and on static screens , Tiger woods 2005 , which is the game I noticed it onthe most has lots of green (grass!!) and a static menu at the same time (for wind , club selection etc..) So that game has been rendered useless to me.

Having said that ive played Mario Golf & Ace Golf on the gamecube expecting the same but it didnt happen leading me to think what you thought , that it may have something to do with the rgb scart , might be worth try the gold official scart , let me know how you get on with that one.

Ive noticed something on some games on rgb on this tv too , strong reds can have a line of green on the edge sometimes , may have something to do with the green you mentioned causing a flicker ? just a thought.
If you have Outrun 2 start a race and you'll notice it on the cars right hand side.

Also I made my DVP-NS355 multi region , the hack is a long one and requires a One For All remote (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?dvdplayer=DVP-NS355&hits=50)

If you get the chance try the Lion King in the Sony Dvd Player via rgb & then try it in the xbox to see if the flicker is the same. Ive had no problems at all with that dvd player.

Thanks for confirming that the One For All hack works, rickyroma - that's the one I'd been querying :) And it sounds like you still have RGB enabled as well, so sounds like I'll be doing the same myself. Can you tell me where you got your OFA remote from and for how much?

I tried The Lion King in the Sony player, and it looked perfect, so it's most assuredly the Pioneer causing the problems.

Are you using the official Xbox Scart lead also, or a third party one? I'm tempted to see if Microsoft's official cable makes any difference. The other possibility is to get Joytech's Advance Xbox lead which has both RGB and S-Video in one cable, so if worst comes to worst I can always switch my Xbox to S-Video ;-)

M;.

ive got a 3rd party rgb one , might get an official one , worth a try if everything works ok.
got the ofa remote off ebay for a fiver , if you have trouble finding one let me know ill post mine to ya so you can do it.

Do you have the model number of the OFA? At least then I know which one to look out for ;-) Thanks for the offer - I might just take you up on that.

M;.

no prob its a URC7030 , im pretty sure it will work with any AFO remote with a Magic Key though !

I have the FX68 - (basically a CS70 in an older skin) and have to say that while it is an excellent television, don't even think about using it with either Denon or Pioneer DVD players.

I get all the banding/flickering/CUE problems you descibe. In RGB mode, and its an absolute nightmare.

Have to say that strangely, I haven't had any problems with the Xbox, PS2 or freeview box in RGB.

Something to do with the voltage input parameters on the RGB input. Apparently, these can be altered in the TV's service menu, but don't ask me how!

DT

turtle wouldnt even dare , had enough of the service menu to do me for life , its only the xbox giving me flickering so im going to try a gold plated scart before I come looking for that solution off you !

:)

They must package sony dvd players with all sony tvs by now just to cover their backs !

Yes I came to the same conclusion myself a while back when this all started ;-) Funny that!

I'm seriously pondering getting Joytech's Xbox advanced lead from Amazon - £10.99 with RGB scart and S-Video plugs, AND Optical audio, AND composite/stereo audio plugs ;-) It has _everything_ you could potentially need, in one cable.

I'm also curious if the Official xbox lead solves your problem tho, rickyroma - let us know if you do plan to give it a try!

M;.

hey
i didnt buy the official one , the one i did order is gold plated which im hoping will make the difference ! It has optical & composite , not sure about svideo though , its made by Logic 3.

Well, I got myself a One-For-All at the shops today, gave the codes a try, et voila! My Sony is now region free ;-)

Just a quickie tho - have you noticed as well that NTSC discs (region 1) are missing a slight amount of the top of the picture? Only noticeable on 2.35:1 widescreen films (the black bar at the top seems thinner than it should) - it isn't a botherance, just that I'm curious to see if yours does it too ;-)

Cheers,

M;.

to be honest mike I didnt notice , if I did knowing me id be straight into the service menu to fix it!

mike if you have a digi camera can you take a snap of a film with borders on it ? I just wanna see how straight they are on another cs70 set to compare to mine

I can't take a snap right now, but the easiest way to describe it is if you're viewing a 2.35:1 film in NTSC, the screen is shifted upwards by about 0.8cm. Most likely this is due to the way the Sony player handles NTSC more than anything else (I noticed this when I played a Region 2 NTSC DVD as well).

Oh and this isn't fixable via the TV service menu either - the TV itself isn't doing anything wrong in this instance. The DVD player itself is physically doing the shifting upwards - so if you try to correct it in the service menu you'll just see that grey line at the top of the screen re-appearing ;-)

M;.

hey mike , good news , got the gold scart lead for the xbox , cleared the flickering right up ! Everything on it looks nice and clear now and the image is perfectly stable on it :)

Now ive just got to get my picture flat again in the service menu ! :)

Outstanding news - as soon as I get my next replacement CS70, I'll be sure to get myself that funky Joytech lead from Amazon I've been after which does RGB and S-Video

M;.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom