Sadly it's goodbye to the XS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alicat, Nov 6, 2004.

1. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic machine for recording and editing but, it takes too long to read discs burn't from my PC or Sony DVD camcorder (I need this facility). I can't justify waiting 90 seconds to read a DVD-R and more often than not receiving the fatal "disc damaged or dirty" message even after Toshiba told me to press the "Star" button when this happens. :mad:

Even discs recorded and finalised on the XS32 take a while to read (30-40 seconds). I can't justify buying a machine just to read discs made on the PC.

I will be changing it for a JVC MH20 or Pioneer 520.- The Pioneer is the hot favourite. I just wish I could swap the DVD drive in the Tosh for the Pioneer!.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Sorry to hear you've had problems - do you want to troubleshoot at all?
    - Have you tried changing your media?
    - What PC authoring software are you using?
    - Are you adding AUDIO_TS folders to your PC disks?

You'll find most HDD/DVDRs have a small spin up time for a DVD that has been inserted - certainly longer than a normal DVD player. However if you are intent on swapping then I would go for the Pioneer ahead of the JVC.

3. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean about the media etc. My Pannasonic LA95 portable and Pioneer 107D (PC drive) plays everything without any fuss.

The first day I set up the Tosh it "jittered" with a Sony 3" DVD-RW camcorder disc, plus the recorder saw it as a copyrighted disc for some strange reason (I wanted to record to the hard drive but can't)

I cant play +R discs on it either

The philips 890 was good at playing discs but i certainly WILL NOT be going back to + recording

Looks like it will be the Pioneer, ironicly my first choice before I bought the Tosh.

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It may be worth swapping it for another Tosh as I can't say I am suffering from the same problems. Discs it has made itself (-R or -RW) start very quickly, +r's recorded on my PC work fine and start up as quickly as bought DVD's.

5. drjoshua

drjoshua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine too take quit long time to start up. With all media I think. Wich media do you use?

I loaded a DVD-R in my PC and found out that it hasn´t got the TS_AUDIO folder! Is this why some DVD players doesn´t accept my DVD-R´s?

Can I take DVD-RW´s to my PC and add a TS_AUDIO folder afterwards to make it more compatible?

6. Tebo

Tebo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good media is a start. Also try burning the stuff on the PC at slower speeds, I have found that makes quite a difference on what gets picked up.

Thanks
    Tebo

7. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have been using Ritek Branded A grade discs, purchase a few months ago before the price droped. (cheaper discs?)

I have tried burning then at 1X, 2X, 4x, with varrious packages and with even difference burners and nothing makes a difference.

The problem is that you can never tell how long it will take to load, it may be 30 seconds or in one case when the machine was going to record in 15 minutes, it took 20 mins, with the result that you can't be anything with it until the disc has been read.

You can try a disc and it takes 30 seconds then says the disc needs cleaning then eject and put it back in (without touching or taking it out of the tray) and it will load and play.

The HDD part of this machine is so good if it wasn't for this the machine would have been sent back.

For a HDD recorder it would get 9.5/10 but as a DVD player I would rate it as a ZERO.

Even some RAM disc take a couple of minutes to read.

Funny how it will read Ritek discs that have been burnt on itself!!!

Datawrite Grey (now I'll problally have problem with them!) seem to be the most compatible as so far only takes a 30-45 sec to read them.

I have tried burning for hours then read a disc, first time it worked, reloaded and it didn't. Left it switched (unpluged) all day and then tried with no luck. Hence hot or cold have no effect.

So far hasn't had a problem reading -RW and works well with TDK.

Any other ideas would be helpfull.

8. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

Get a new one because mine will play anything I throw at it apart from the odd dirty disc (plays when clean).

30 seconds doesn't sound long either. Every DVD recorder I've had takes that long.

All my pre-recorded DVD's play in about 10 seconds.

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    FYI, Pioneer 420 took 15 secs from pushing Close on remote to have finalised home made Maxell DVD-R ready, 20 secs for unfinalised, 10 secs for a commercial disc.
    This is similar effect to CDs - those written on a PC or audio CD writer take longer to 'Ready' than commercial CDs.

In your case, I'd try another disk brand first. then check tha machine. It shouldn't be that slow.

10. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using Ritek/datasafe 4X -R printable discs and Sony -R/W 3 inch discs. It appears to me that my XS32 is a "fussy" reader. The reason i am opting for the Pioneer is that My Pioneer 107D PC drive I have will read anything.

When we had some friends round the other night to watch the holiday DVD it took about three minutes to read.

Returning the Tosh is a hard thing to do but I need a machine that is a reliable reader too.

11. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Although as I have a Pioneer I'm not one of their sales staff - I just liked its features. So if you like the Tosh I'd have a go at getting that right before changing makes.

12. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I use the Sony DVD Camcorder a lot, I not only want to play the discs in the recorder but I also want to write them to the hard drive too (can't do that with the Tosh 'cos it only copies discs made on the machine ). The discs are recorded in -R/W video mode and are finalised of course before I put them in the XS32.

There is nothing I can do to rectify the situation as Sony are the only manufacturer of these discs (as far as I know)

I will test the discs that don't play in my XS32 with the machine on display in the shop, before I make my next move.

13. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Pioneers certainly have DVD to HDD copy facilities, but there are some 'Notes' (page 73 of manual):

• Titles which were recorded directly to a VR mode disc
    or have already been copied real-time, and which
    contain bilingual audio or are recorded in recording
    modes MN12 – MN20 can be added to the Copy List,
    However if High-Speed Copy is selected they will not
    actually be copied.
    • Similarly, a copy-once protected title, recorded from
    the TV for example, can be added to the Copy List, but
    it will not be copied if High-Speed Copy is selected.
    • You may not be able to copy titles when copying a
    disc that was created using a PC or another recorder.

14. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for writing those notes out. I thought I knew the Pioneer manual inside out but I missed that bit! The Sony can record in video and VR mode to the DVD-R/W disc, but i'm not too worried about high speed dub - the discs hold 20 mins at highest resolution - the fact that they can be read at all would be good!

Before I get the Pioneer, I will take all the discs that didn't play on the Tosh, to the shop to test them first as well as copying to the hard drive.

John Lewis took the Tosh back without opening the box. I will now wait for them to stock the Pioneer (pricematched at £385 with 2 year warranty of course).

15. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I didn't write the notes - I did a copy/paste from the download manual :)
    The Pioneer manual has some of the best bits as footnotes - like how to pass through the scart when recording Analogue so you can have a full RGB route with only one TV scart.

16. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0