1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saddo speaker cable question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dave48, Apr 24, 2002.

1. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now that I've got my 3802 up-and-running, I'm looking for a better solution for wiring my surround & rear speakers. Currently these are hanging off various bits of "string" that I've accumulated over the years - but the major problem is that the current are all miles too short.

Can anyone recommend a good loudspeaker cable for these non-front speakers? Criteria are:

(1) it needs to be white for domestic reasons
    (2) it doesn't need to be ultra-flat since I've got a wooden floor and can't run a cable under it
    (3) I want it to sound good [note I am currently using a mixed collection of Wharefedale Diamonds & Mordaunt Short MS10's, which will be replaced by something more sensible but not ridiculously exotic at some stage]
    (4) I need quite long runs, so could do with a cable that can handle this (e.g. 10 meters +)
    (5) It needs to be affordable since we are talking about 40 - 50m of cable.

Thanks for any help!

Dave48

2. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What about the flat IXOS sticky backed stuff.It's about .5mm high.
    Regards

3. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I always use QED micro for my surrounds. I have two 14m runs because taking the direct route across the floor leads to domestically unacceptable tripwire. I am very happy with the sound, although being for surrounds only, I haven't given them a really good listen.

I've no idea how much it cost's per m. I tend to go in to my local dealer, wave my arms in meaningful ways and come back a little later to collect my cables which they've put together and soldered on the banana plugs for me. They charge me something which includes the plugs and I've never got around to breaking down the price.

Charles.

4. £note

£note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There is a guy who is selling the Ixos flat profile white cable on www.ebay.co.uk for 99p per metre. Search under Ixos and you will find it.

Bought some myself through the auction and had a prompt service.

5. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gale Hyperlitz from Richersounds...i think is about 1.49 a metre......Its white and its flat:)

6. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I too am just using bits of "string" that I found around the house and joined up for my erar speakers, so looking for something more suitable to replace that makeshift nonesense I use. Does using Ixos flat or QED-Micro lose much sound quality/detail along a 10+ metre run, or should I go for something thicker like the QED Original? I'm using QED Silver Anniversary for my fronts, so I don't know if there will be a noticeable "match" in quality in my rears if I use the same cable......which I'm not happy to do because it'll be expensive.

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    100 amp (White) mains cable if you are looking for something cheap otherwise Van Damme if you want something more civilised.

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're using a good quality amp like the 3802, you are really not getting the best out of it unless you trade up to some half decent cable.

I would suggest something like Ecosse CS2.2 PLUS. It can be had for around £2.50 a meter.

9. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Exactly - it seems a bit of a false saving to go for really cheap cable, particularly for long runs. £2.50 a meter is probably bearable - it's only about £100 in total for what I need then .... :(

Dave48

10. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    But for the rear speakers, do we really need to buy cable as expensive as the fronts? Correct me if I'm wrong.

How good is the sound quality across a 100 Amp cable compared to the decent speaker cables?

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, think of it like this... we're all (presumably?) of the understanding that 'matching' speaker timbre is of importance across the 5 or 6 regular speakers in a 5.1 or 6.1 set-up?

So, to then use different cable, which by definition will affect the sound differently, you're kind of rendering buying the same brand/range speakers redundant...

It's horses for courses. For example, in my car I now use only Shell Optimax (nothing to do with DVD set-up tests!) because I have a high powered, highly tuned engine. I could use regular unleaded but I wouldn't be running the car to it's best. Sure, it costs a little more but I'd rather that than compromise my car's performance.

I'm not advocating £25 per meter cable here but why risk getting 60% out of your amp using cheap crap when you might squeeze 90% out of it using some slightly better stuff?

Mind you, I've also hooked up my Denon 2802 with a Russ Andrews Yello Power cable so I guess maybe I'm just a sucker after all :)

12. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At risk of upsetting dealers, magazine reviewers and those who have spent a fortune on speaker cables.....

The only fair way to evaluate cables is to do blind testing. Whenever this has been conducted fairly the differences between cables of equivalent conductor cross section has been marginal at best. That said there is some evidence that multi-strand cable is slightly better in some combinations.

The bottom line is, if you over specify conductor area for the current capacity you need then all eles is down to what it looks like and what it costs.

It is easy to convince yourself that £10 a metre cable sounds better than £1 a metre. How else would you justify the purchase?

I would also mention that some of the fussiest speaker and amplifier designers I have met use suitable spec mains cable for speaker connections.... Draw your own conclusions.

13. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought for ages that there was a lot of hocus-pocus surrounding cables, in particular loudspeaker cables. For my main front speakers (Jamo Concert 8's run by a Primare A30.1 amplifier) I was getting a bit disappointed by the quality of the whole thing - after forking out that much cash, it wasn't really delivering the goods.

My dealer gave me two cables to test - and I have to admit I was suprised what a huge difference they made. Not only did they make my old cables sound 2 dimensional (these cables are one of the pieces of string refered to earlier in this thread), both of the new cables sounded completely different - in one you were right up front, practically in the middle of the soundstage, for the other it sounded as though you were sitting back in about the 5th row of the audience.

I have a reasonably technical background - studied Physics at University - but I am still puzzled how two bits of wire can sound that different.

In the end I bought one of the two cables I tested - even though £100+ for the pair - and I don't regret it. The only problem is that I can't afford this kind of price for the long cable runs needed for the surround speakers, so I will have to get something else.

The string I am using "looks" OK - it is quite thick, has lots of nice copper wires in it, but I know other cables sound vastly better. But would it make a difference to the whole experience if I stick with this cable for the surround loudspeakers or if I change? Are my surround loudspeakers good enough for it to make the blindest bit of difference?

Dave48

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to use Soniclink ASTx200 on my hi fi system (Cyrus 7 and Smart Power bi-amping Ruark Prelude Rs).

The sound was OK but a little dull.

I traded up to Nordost SuperFlatline Gold MarkII.

The sound is totally different. Faster, crisper, clearer, better treble and tighter bass.

I'm sorry, whatever the physics might say, different cables DO sound different and, usually, the more expensive ones sound better. However, I do think the law of diminishing returns applies here, as with just about everything else.

15. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I also use the QED micro cable...very nice for rears with good sound and relatively easy to hide...

JJ

16. fredy1

fredy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just put the cables in for my cinima (got them from Nexxia) they give great advice to. have spent hrs on the internet reaserching speaker cable and what to by. got so confused i went to noteworthy audio problem solved. Atlas basic ofc ror surronds and oehlbach for the front and centre. £58 for the rears 16m, Noteworthy. £14.99 for 30m for the front E-bay.
    My system isnt the best but good enough for me at this time. Marrantz amp, harmon carmon DVD,sky plus, quake sub,

17. Member 231429

Member 231429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    QED Micro will set you back about £1.67 a metre or the next step up would be QED Silver Micro at £3.37 a metre.

Alternatively Chord cables are very good.

18. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    ixos 223 flat speaker cable, sticky back stuff is what i went for anyone who wants to spend a fortune for your two rear speakers where the only thing you hear is surround background noises then so be it, but to be honest I think it is a waste of money. Whatever you want for the front and centre go for it but you dont have to spend a fortune for the rears.

19. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: This is a very old thread but have moved to cable forum.