1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad Day For The Garrett Family

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Garrett, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Our pet dog and companion called Odin, died yesterday morning just over 9 years old whilst recovering from spinal surgery.

When people asked me his age I use to say 9 year old pup, as he never grew up and was the Peter Pan of the dog world.
    He was a Dobermann with absolute superb temperament.

Often we’d walk past ducks and he just ignored them. One time (wish I had, had a camera to prove it but), I use to feed the ducks regularly and I think they got use to him being there. One day somebody had piled a mound of bread on the bank and a duck was at one side eating the bread and Odin went to the other side sniffing where the duck was eating they were no more than 12inches away. Neither bothering with the other, and when Odin had had his sniff just walked on.

He was my dog and followed me every where and even had to be in the bathroom when I took a shower. They use to call him my shadow.
    He loved to be petted and would either sit aside you, and throw his head back signifying he wanted stroking, or would roll on his back pawing with his front legs till you stroked his belly.

Most people that knew him and had a ounce of love for animals quickly fell under his charm and commented how lovely a dog he was.
    If I was at the vets waiting to see a vet, if the nurses knew he was in the waiting room would come out and make a fuss of him.

Sometime someone I knew would be talking to someone with a small dog and they would put it on the lead as we approached (falling under the misconception what Dobermann’s are really like) but the person would say its all right its Odin you will not meet a softer dog.

He was the happiest dog I have ever known and my mate said if he was reincarnated he would want to come back as him.

Although I feel cheated they he was taken too soon, and he had more happy years left to live, I feel extremely lucky that I had 9 years of his love and got to share his happiness.

Below is my desktop which has been there since I took the picture last year.

To paraphrase McCoy in Star Trek “In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that and perhaps more, there will never be an other like Odin.”

Rest in peace and happiness you’ll be in our thoughts forever.

Attached Files:

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I am sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you at this time. It is very hard lossing a member of the family especially one that you were so close to.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm sorry to hear that Garrett. Best wishes to you and the rest of the Garrett family. :)

4. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My thoughts are with you and your family.

Regards,

Gareth.

5. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Got to love dogs, especially if you have had one living with you. I had a German Shepard when I was married but the ex-wife held on to her. I still miss her now (the dog that is) :(

6. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sad day Garrett, how soon before you replace him?

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI Garrett,

I'm sorry for your loss, even if I'm not a dog-lover. It's never nice to loose a pet. :(

Steve - that's not much of a clarification, really now, is it... bearing in mind this is your ex-wife we're talking about! :rotfl:

Pooch

8. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Sorry to hear that Garrett,they definitely become one of the family don't they.Try to keep smiling and remember the pleasant times,not the times they cover you (and the ceiling) with slobber!
    Ian and Sophia

Attached Files:

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Soon as I can find a reputable breeder that has had a litter, I’m not going to get one from any Tom Dick or Harry.

Odin was bought as my other dog (also a Dobermann) had been having walking difficulties (wobblers syndrome common in Dobemann’s) which seemed to be getting worse and the vet said for it sake we should think of a time for its passing, and Odin was bought to ease the passing of the other one. But when we got Odin the other one picked up and lived 3.5 years more and lived to be 13.5 years old and had a heart attack and died in my arms.

They was both bought on the same weekend and born with in a day of each other although years apart, if you get my meaning.

It was funny when we got Odin as he tried to suckle on my other dog, which was a dog and not a bitch.

The other was just as good as temperament eg one day a bloke we knew ahead two terriers and he use to throw a ball for them and one day it landed near my other dog and he went to pick it up but the terriers went for him snapping and snarling, so he just walked away, the bloke said to his dogs they had picked on the wrong dog there then quickly said no the right one meaning he too knew how placid he was.

10. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Sorry to hear your sad news. you clearly loved your dog very much. Hope your next one brings you similar fond memories :)

11. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry to hear about that Garret, it must be hard for you losing such a close companion.

I've always liked the larger dogs (Dobermanns, Great Danes, German Shepherds etc) and find the smaller ones have a chip on their shoulder and try to be fierce when there'sot need to be.

Richie.

12. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Sincere condolences Garrett, loosing a special companion is heartbreaking. You just have to focus on the fact that in the comparatively small life dogs get alotted compared to us humans, your dog had a great one.

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sorry to hear that mate, we're thinking about getting a dog for the first time. Never had a pet of my own so i won't pretend i know what you're going through. But by the sounds of it the dog was loved and loved back in return. You can't replace Odin; but you can give another dog a good home.

14. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    My sympathies. Being a dog owner myself (2 boxers) I know just how you feel.

15. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Sad to hear about your loss and hope you find an adequate replacement soon.Dogs bring great pleasure to many people lives. We keep cats and each and every we have kept has been an important part of out family . So far we have kept six altogether and lost four - each loss bringing great sadness to us.

16. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I hope that the grief of your loss eases with time, so that you are left with the fondest of memories. A beloved pet is a member of the family, not a posession.

I posted on this forum a couple of years ago when our cat died and was astonished at the amazingly thoughtful responses then. In pleased to say that I'm not surprised now when the incredibly caring members of avforums continue to lend their support, as invariably they always do.

17. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to hear of this sad news Garrett. It's very hard when you lose a pet, as they are one of the family and the place feels bare without them. I can still remember some of the funny little antics that my pets have had and they still bring a chuckle now. The good thing is that Odin will live on in your memories and photographs. Best wishes to you and your family at this time.

18. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Really sorry to hear your bad news. I can't imagine what it would be like if we lost our dog. As you said you had 9 good years which will always be happy memories.
    I know how proud you was of Odin because I remember editing a picture of him for you a while back, dont know if you had that framed in the end or not?

Thoughts go out to you and your family.