1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACDs: What are Sony and ABKCO playing at?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by the_pauley, Sep 26, 2004.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Recently Sony and ABKCO released a series of Hybrid SACDs of the Bob Dylan and Rolling Stones back catalogues. These were superb sounding issues, even on the standard re-mastered CD layer, and came in cardboard digipak style sleeves.

Recently I have noticed these albums re-appear in jewel cases as standard CDs, with stickers announcing new digital re-masters.

These are the exact same DSD re-masters used on the standard CD layer of the SACD releases.

So what are these companies playing at? Surely their marketing departments can't be ignorant of the fact that these releases aren't needed as the SACDs are hybrids and will therefore play on any standard CD player?

Indeed I know several people that have bought the original SACD releases, ignorant of the fact that they were SACDs, and who were blown away by the fantastic sound on their standard CD players.

This bizarre marketing strategy (?) has resulted in the SACDs disappearing from many stores where they have been available for the past year or so, and the standard CD re-masters taking their place.

Surely an own goal for a company like Sony when it is trying to establish SACD as the new format of choice! :suicide:

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    SACD's also used to be in a seperate section in most of my usual music outlets but now they mixed up with the rest of the CD's, still it makes for a good laugh when people pick up 2 version of Dark Side of The Moon and wonder what the difference is and then buy the cheapest version.

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Surely the way for SACD to catch on is for the companies to start releasing everything in that format? The compatability of hybrids with normal CD players (and the remastered CD layer sounds so good!) ensures that regular buyers as well as the audiophiles will buy them regardless.

Then a proper marketing campaign to raise awareness among the general public of the format that they have been buying might help. The marketing to date has been pitiful - when I mention SACD and DVDA to most people I get blank stares.

The ignorance of sales staff doesn't help matters either. Was told in Music Zone that they don't stock SACDs as they don't play on normal CD players. When I pointed out that not only are all current SACDs produced now hybrids, but that they were carrying a dozen or so Dylan titles, all of the Stones reissues as well as DSOTM and a few Diana Krall in the format on their shelves, I was met with a firm "Oh no, those are just remastered CDs."

They felt a little foolish when I pointed out a Diana Krall disc with a large silver sticker proclaiming "SACD - Plays on SACD and CD players"...

And of course a format war doesn't help either... :rolleyes:

4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Pauley, serves you right for visiting a high street music store ;)

I occassionally go in to laugh at the prices and if I'm ever looking for a certain album or single I'm quite often asked :

"Is it in the charts?" :suicide:

Buy all my stuff on-line from Amazon, Play, CD Wow, Key etc

5. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh:

I'm amazed these stores are still in business, given the impact of the internet on pricing. The most insulting thing, is that there prices are often cheaper on their own websites!

They'd better start being more competitive, or they'll all go the way of Tower Records.