Sacd

a1matt

Standard Member
I am buying a Cyrus CD6s. If I was to spend more on an SACD player (maybe up to £1000) would the new player be superior in both SACD & CD performance?

What if I spend just £120 on a Sony SCD-XE597? Would the SACD outperform the Cyrus on CD?

Other equipment is the Roksan Kandy amp and Monitor Audio BR5s. Cyrus interconnect and QED Silver Anniversary speaker cables.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
I am buying a Cyrus CD6s. If I was to spend more on an SACD player (maybe up to £1000) would the new player be superior in both SACD & CD performance?

What if I spend just £120 on a Sony SCD-XE597? Would the SACD outperform the Cyrus on CD?

Other equipment is the Roksan Kandy amp and Monitor Audio BR5s. Cyrus interconnect and QED Silver Anniversary speaker cables.

In answer to the first part of your question...not necessarily,and you really would need to audtion your choices against your current choice,in your own system before making that decision.

Also....bear in mind the relatively poor selection of SACD titles currently available,and what may or may not be there in a year or 2's time.

I havent bought an SACD player(although I was tempted by Sony's original flagship model when one appeared used recently)but the concerns about software made me think twice....DVD-A has all but disappeared,and most of my local stores have little to offer in the way of SACD either.....a pity,but almost inevitable.

overkill

Distinguished Member
In answer to the first part of your question...not necessarily,and you really would need to audtion your choices against your current choice,in your own system before making that decision.

Also....bear in mind the relatively poor selection of SACD titles currently available,and what may or may not be there in a year or 2's time.

I havent bought an SACD player(although I was tempted by Sony's original flagship model when one appeared used recently)but the concerns about software made me think twice....DVD-A has all but disappeared,and most of my local stores have little to offer in the way of SACD either.....a pity,but almost inevitable.
Good points Alex. One other to bear in mind, is that contrary to much of what you read, mainly from 'band enthusiasts' many people still cannot hear a lot of difference between a CD and SACD/DVD-A. Yes, the surround feature offers a new perspective, but, quite frankly it soon wears off.

There is also a quite excellent recent article written by a sound engineer on the fact that people are being fooled into thinking they can hear new 'elements' of a recording due to surround sound, when in fact, they are not. Simply because they weren't laid down in the master recording in the first place, and thus they can't be.

I would stick with a decent CDP tbh. Although, as Alex says, really you should let your ears decide. ;)

DennyL

Standard Member

www.sa-cd.net lists 4502 SACDs
An Amazon.co.uk search throws up 3056 (classical + popular)
There are lots on Ebay.

My newsletter from mdt.co.uk has 12 SACD new releases for this month.

As SACD sounds better, let's keep our fingers crossed! Most of them are hybrid and play on a red book player, anyway. As the music business is going through such changes, anyway, CDs might be history in the not too distant future. I have converted my CDs to music files for my Squeezebox, and the only shiny discs I now play are SACDs!

alexs2

Distinguished Member
www.sa-cd.net lists 4502 SACDs
Amazon.co.uk search throws up 3056

My newsletter from mdt.co.uk has 12 SACD new releases for this month.

I do appreciate that there are still releases being made,but do bear in mind the relative proportions compared to conventional CD releases.

I had hoped that there would there would be a much wider uptake of high-definition audio than there has been,and in the end if one or both formats disappear,then the only real losers are the consumers who want something better.

Obviously the upsurge in downloadable content with DRM has been a big factor as well.

At least as you say,the majority are hybrids,and unlike the ill-fated DVD-A Dual-disc,they do actually play on all CD players.

overkill

Distinguished Member
I do appreciate that there are still releases being made,but do bear in mind the relative proportions compared to conventional CD releases.

I had hoped that there would there would be a much wider uptake of high-definition audio than there has been,and in the end if one or both formats disappear,then the only real losers are the consumers who want something better.

Obviously the upsurge in downloadable content with DRM has been a big factor as well.

At least as you say,the majority are hybrids,and unlike the ill-fated DVD-A Dual-disc,they do actually play on all CD players.
Exactly.

I agree with the second point as well Alex. I think everybody involved in hifi, either as a retailer or a serious punter, hoped that hi-res would take off this time. But it hasn't. DVD-A is almost dead, and SACD is being used as a (another) quick buck, re-issue medium for the enthusiast. Frankly the demise of DVD-A hurts the most as it was the most satisfying listen. I find SACD has the same effect on me as CD after a while, despite the higher quality.

The biggest factor in the lack of take up is the problem facing hifi as a whole. This being, that the great unwashed aren't interested in quality, just quantity. 60 million Ipods alone were sold in 2006, and you'd have thought at least some of that lot would have migrated to hifi. Instead sales of hifi are falling.

As people who are still buying into hifi will inevitably look to buy the traditional CD front end, as, as Alex says, that is the medium with the biggest choice, in a shrinking marketplace therefore, hi-res's role looks pretty bleak. The last sales figures of media showed, contrary to what you'd expect given the number of SACD releases, that this is the case. In fact vinyl sold more copy than hi-res..........

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom