Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sacd

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by mobily, Jan 11, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,

After doing a bit of reading on SACD's I think that they are encoded in 96hz whilst ordinary cd's are 44hz. Correct me if I am wrong!!

The sony dav-s550 I have just purchased says in the manual that any audio discs that are 96hz will be encoded in 48hz.

Surely this means that it is a cop out and not a proper SACD player at all. Will I notice a discernable difference?

Cheers,

James ;)

2. wiped

wiped
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought sacd was 192, I think dvd-audio can have either 96 or 48 encoding.. That is how i understand it.

If this is digital output you talk about perhaps that max digital output is 48 so any 96 material is downconverted..
    Or since there is a difference with 48, 96 and 192 perhaps this player only supports 48 and 192 any other like 96 is then downconverted

But i assume that this player don't support dvd-audio so the 96 to 48 is probably when dvd discs uses 96 as sampling rate it's downconverted to 48.

Anyway shouldn't matter with sacd since it's not using that sampling rate

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    DVD-A
    DVD-Audio discs haveup to 6 channels at sample rates of 48/96/192 kHz (also 44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz) and sample sizes of 16/20/24 bits. This allows theoretical frequency response of up to 96 kHz and dynamic range of up to 144 dB. Multichannel PCM is downmixable by the player, although at 192 and 176.4 kHz only two channels are available. Sampling rates and sizes can vary for different channels by using a predefined set of groups. The maximum data rate is 9.6 Mbps.

SACD
    Uses Direct Stream Digital (DSD) encoding with sampling rates of 2.8224 MHz. DSD is based on the pulse-density modulation (PDM) technique that uses single bits to represent the incremental rise or fall of the audio waveform. This supposedly improves quality by removing the brick wall filters required for PCM encoding. It also makes downsampling more accurate and efficient. DSD provides a frequency response from DC to over 100 kHz with a dynamic range of over 120 dB. DSD includes a lossless encoding technique that produces approximately 2:1 data reduction by predicting each sample and then run-length encoding the error signal. The maximum data rate is 2.8 Mbps.

4. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    My dvd player will happily play 96khz/24bit (Seven is the only disc I have with this). My amp will accept this signal.

Unfortunately, many dvd players will not output this signal via the digital output due to copying issues.