1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD through Denon 2802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by yimpster, Jun 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've just purchased a Sony 700 DVD player and a Denon 2802 amp.

I tried playing the SACD demo discs that came with the DVD player and I can only get sound via the TV, it doesn't seem to pipe through the amp. I've got an IXOS coax cable between the DVD and the Amp.

any ideas?

Cheers

Adam

2. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure the ixos cable is the right way round. The arrows on the cable should point from the dvd player to the amp.

This problem wasted about a hour of my time. I was suprised to learn that cables can be directional.

Hope this sorts your problem.

3. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It will come sound even if the arrows are pointing the wrong way, will just be "better" the right way.
    I asume you have connected it with 6 RCA cables to the ext. in on the Denon.
    Check your ext in setup.
    Have you pushed the "ext. in" button on your remote?

4. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sound was produced using a digital coaxial ixos cable with the arrows the wrong way around on my avc11sr!

Make sure that the digital inputs have also been correctly assigned. Ie if the input goes to digital input 1 make sure that this is assigned to the dvd player and that the type of cable is also assigned correctly.

5. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the ideas guys, i'll certainly have a look when i get home.

Not sure if this helps but i've only got 1 coax cable connecting the DVD/SACD player to the amp. I've not got any other types of cables between them.

I get succeful sound when playing DVD's and audio CD's, just not SACD's.

Not sure if this clarifies things...

Cheers

Adam:eek:

6. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got me puzzled then. You should only need one cable connected from the dvd player to the amp. It must be a set up issue.

7. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to connect the amp via the anolog inputs, sacd is decoded by the player, there is no standard digital out for sacd as of yet.

8. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think it's the player thats the SACD decoder, you need to connect the player to the amp using the 6 phono cables magking mentioned earlier.

In the quick flick through the manual for my Sony 900 thats what it seemed like to me. I'd double check but I dunno where my manual is at the moment.

9. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This amp will not decode SACD (in fact I have not come across any processors/amps that will) and therefore you need to use the analogue inputs, the CD/DVD player will do the decoding.

In any event SACD is not output on the digital connections of the sony player refered to.

Use 3 pairs of decent quality interconnects (at least £20-£30 per pair), set the denon amp to "ext in" on the remote and voila - SACD in all of its beauty.

Cheers

Tim

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is one: a Denon AVC-A1SR via a proprietary link to a suitably expensive Denon DVD/CD/SACD player (the new DVD-A1).

Try at least £2.00-£3.00 and at most the amounts given. I'm not saying cables can't make a difference but a pair of lengths of some (probably astoundingly cheap) 75 Ohm cable with some gold-plated phonos on each end is not an expensive thing to manufacture. I wouldn't pay more than a tenner a run.

Mike.

11. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just to conclude for the time being. Yes.. i did have the coax back to front. But No it didn't make any difference. I still have no output from SACD. I will pick up the phono cables as recommended probably at the more budget end of the scale though, as i'm almost out of cash!

Just out of curiosity what is the general opinion of SACD?? is it a great improvement over regular a CD. I've not read anything on it so any info would be great.

I'm not expecting anything great as i'm running the amp to the Missions FSAV2's which i believe are primarily AV speakers rather than HIFI speakers.

As usual ...grateful as ever, keep up the good work.

Adam

12. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently upgraded my amp and aswell my dvd to a DVD/SACD player (3802/NS900V), I wasn't expecting much from SACD either but my jaw hit the floor when it played, my ghast was totally flabbered. Amazing. The first thing I noticed was the high end, so much sparkle, the vocals were also superb, bass very controlled.

Saying that a very well recorded cd can sound somewhere near, but in general, to me it sounds much, much better than standard cd's.

Hope you enjoy it.

13. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will need the phono's as mentioned. The SACD will not come from the coax. SACD is a monumental improvement over CD and well worth having. THe Sony 700 is a great SACD player too for the money. As for cables, you really want 3 pairs of good quality phonos for all 6 channels. If you are on a budget, consider getting better cables for the two front channels with a view to upgrading later. Most SACD disks are 2 channel and you should be able to compensate for the cheaper cables with level settings.

Enjoy.

14. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You should be able to get sound through the digital connection when playing SACD, although it won't actually be "SACD sound" (if that makes sense). In order to take advantage of the increased frequency range of SACD you need to connect via the 6 channel phono outputs on your DVD player.

I have my player connected up via digital coax (for DVD and CD), and via the 6 channel outputs for SACD yet when I play the SACD dedicated disc that was supplied with the player (not a hybrid), I CAN listen to it when the 6 channel input mode isn't selected on my amp. ie. via the digital output. - doesn't sound anywhere near as good though!! :p

So... just a thought but are you sure the player isn't faulty??!

Kelvin.

Edit: To say I've just checked this by disconnecting the 6 channel inputs to my amp and I still get sound when playing SACD and digital connection is selected! Not quite sure why yours isn't working.....:confused: :confused:

15. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well to add fuel to the fire of this debate, i have done as requested and got some fairly decent phone leads. Got 2 pairs of Profigolds and an set of Ixos.

Well it does work and the sound is amazing. I must say that this only applies to the multi channel tracks. I can't believe just how well defined each instrument can be through particular channels.

With regard to regular 2 channel SACD tracks, I can't honestly say that there is any real attraction for me as the difference between SACD and regular CD is negligible when played through my AV speakers.

I really enjoyed listening to the two demo CD's that came with the player.

Can anyone recommend a good site for getting multi-channel SACD's??

Cheers - and good result!!

Adam

16. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are getting the cd track of the sacd disc, did you say it was a hybrid disc? As someone mentioned early the only amp capable of decoding sacd is that v expensive denon via the propriety link.

17. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried this with Sony 700 through a Sony 940. Selecting DVD (optical) results in no sound with the demo disk. This is a 2ch/multi disk and has no layer. As Dom says, the disk you have must be a hybrid SACD/CD and you are getting the CD part of it. You should not get sound from the digital cable with SACD.

PS : SACD ROCKS. If only it was a bit cheaper. I just ordered Aerosmiths new album from Canada. Can't wait to get my mitts on it.

S

18. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The disc I used is definitely NOT a hybrid disc!! It's the demo one that's supplied free with the DVPNS700 - the one with Train/Celine Dion etc. on. It won't play on my regular CD deck and it clearly says "Will only play on SACD players" on the back of the case. ;) :cool:

Just to check it wasn't me making a mistake, I disconnected all of the leads from the back of my DVD player this afternoon and only left the digital coax connected. Guess what... still worked!!! Maybe it's me with the "rogue" unit - this obviously shouldn't happen so can anyone explain it??? The sound coming through is clearly not SACD quality as there is a noticeable difference when you select the Multi channel in but still, I'm confused!!

Help!

Kelvin :D

19. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At first I connected my ns900 with only an optical cable, played the demo disc and got no sound.

I don't understand whats going on with yours, if you only have a digital link you won't get sound, is the sound coming from the tv? The only connections sacd is output from is the 5.1 anolog out, through the scart to the tv and the headphone jack. (and maybe the 2ch out)

20. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What have I started?? :devil:

21. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    lol @ Yimpster!! ;)

Ok... a few new observations. My amp defaults to "Multi Channel Input 1" when playing a normal "SACD" , and to the coax connection when playing a regular "CD". The only other reference material I have is the Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells SACD - a multi channel Hybrid. Being a hybrid, it plays through the phono's by default, but when selecting the coax connection, I get the "CD" equivalent (noticeable difference in sound quality).

So... moving on, I decided to "test" my demo SACD disc today by attempting to record it onto MD via the digital output (optical). Disc 1 recorded fine (albeit only in 2 channel), whereas Disc 2 didn't. Disc 2 as it turns out; only plays via the phono outputs as it's supposed to. Disc 1 as I thought, plays via the phono outs and the digital outs (coax and optical) So... does this mean that in my case Disc 1 is actually a hybrid despite what it says on the box?? Has anyone else found this? i.e. - have Sony made a mistake with reference to the labelling of the box or was a "duff" batch of SACD's produced??

Glad I finally got to the bottom of it (kind of) - my equipment is not at fault!! :D Dom - I was never disputing what should have been happening - I was totally confused myself at first and was just trying to discover what was up with my setup! - seems we were both right :) :p

Kelvin.