1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD rumour

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Karma, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    While browsing the US version of this board looking for info on the Denon 2900 / 3900, i fell across a thread that rumoured that SACD was going to be discontinued!!!!

I have been holding off upgrading my DVD player, which was bought as a stop gap, until the DVD A spec was sorted.

I actually want the meridian DVD, but would like to dip my toe in the water of multi channel audio and the Meridian only does DVD A at present and is unlikely to ever support SCAD.

I have therefore decided as a further interim to buy the Denon universal player.

But if there is any foundation in the rumour that SACD is to be slowly dropped, I won't bother and just go straight for the Meridian.

Anyone heard anything?

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think this has been mentioned before. I have heard nothing official but i wouldn't bet against it. In my opinion the SACD range in the UK is pretty poor. DVDA is perhaps not much better but with the news that Universal will support DVDA from this autumn perhaps SACD will not continue. For the average man in the street (that's me that is) DVDA is definitely more appealing as the majority of DVDA will play in a standard DVD Video player with a dolby digital 5.1 surround mix available. I just can't see your common or garden punter splashing out for a new SACD player while DVD is all the rage. It is also fair to say that, outwith forums like these, there is a very limited knowledge of these formats at present. Just an opinion of course!

3. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Captain Dobie

You pretty much confirmed what I'd already thought.

I think DVD A will be a success (in limited terms) as by default it will appear on everyone's DVD players.

There is the problem of CD's carrying a DVD A Layer though, which means potentially buying two formats of software.

SACD can ne carried nicely on a CD as a seperate layer, but unless Sony, fairly rapidly let every one licence it on their DVD players, so they all become universal, I too feel that SACD is dead in the water, and the rumour has only pricked what I'd privately beleived for some time.

I also think the DVD forum members may have something to say about all players becoming universal, as it is against their marketing interests.

Looks like it is still a case of wait and see, which if everyone who has the knoweldge (and interest) like myself does, will kill the media anyway.

Oh lord, i'm going to be responsible for the demise of high quality, extended frequency audio!

What a quandrary *sigh*

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Commercially SACD has the momentum, DVD-A has a lot of catching up to do, I buy both formats and definitely see SACD the stronger of the two.

Spinning discs must be on their last gasp anyway, no doubt multi gigabyte memory sticks or SD solid state thingys will be the future, combining hi-res audio with hi-definition pictures, downloaded copy protected off music company sites.

5. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Unless things change quickly both formats are going to die. Even with the limited catalouge of software it is almost impossible to find. Local high street retailers do not stock it and even if you go to some major outlets they have it scattered across the whole store. Which leaves you with online retailers, which I do use but often removes that impulse purchase that drive a lot of CD sales.

I've not tried DVD-A but have been very impressed with SACD and it would be sad if these formats fail in the long run.

6. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Though if you're in Orlando, the Virgin Megastore at Downtown Disney has all its DVD-A/SACD/DTS discs in one (reasonably) large section...

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    It's interestings ... in (Leicester at least) Virgin they have all their DVD-A in one section (no SACD though) as do MVC who also have SACD while in HMV they have all the DVD-A and SACD in amonst the "normal" CD section ... certainly know which of the two I goto when I want to buy and SACD or DVD-A.

8. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I headed to the Virgin Megastore and HMV on Oxford street when I first got my SACD player thinking that they would have the largest selection.... they both do but as mentioned above, they are with all the normal CDs..... I managed to find one Muse album after searching for a couple of hours....

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's weird, some shops have separate SACD / DVD-A sections and also scatter titles around store.
    Maybe it's a packaging problem, Rolling Stones for one.

10. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    Hopefully, things are about to improve as regarding Dvd-Audio.
    A marketing council is being set up to promote the benefits of
    Dvd-A which should lead to a much more expansive aray of titles
    in the future. If there is only going to be one format in the near
    future then I hope that dvd-a will win if only for the fact that
    it can also store video footage on the discs which the studios
    should utilise by putting a "making of" documentary on it like most dvd's have.
    Anyhow, it's the music that counts. As long as there is at
    least one form of hi-res audio available I'll be happy.
    You can read more about the Dvd-A marketing council here....
    http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=1875&n=1&burl=

11. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the idea of SACD's being scattered around is that you are not supposed to know where they are. you are supposed to be a dumb consumer and buy a load of CD's and one day notice that they all have this 'SACD' sticker on them. I reckon Sony is trying to get in the back door. Of course, this only applies to hybrid CD's.

The SACD of DSOTM was a real triumph and I love the packaging, the fact it has a CD layer too and mostly the £8.99 price tag. You would buy that as a CD if you wanted it.

As for DVD-A, I'm not impressed with the organisation although I think it's a great format. Why are all my DVD-A cases slightly bigger than CD's and smaller than DVD's? I assume it's to stop the feeble minded public thinking it's a CD.

They really need to get a CD layer on there too for it to win over SACD. Also, they need some kind of structure for playback. It's no good to me having to switch the telly on if I want to listen to some music, I want to tell my DVD player to default either to 2 channel or multi channel and then be able to stick in a disk and press play.

I hope one survives at least and I've always believed it will be SACD for the reasons above. The only thing holding it back will be Sony being greedy over the licensing if players and killing theire own product as with Betamax. Oh yeah, and a few more titles wouldn't be bad. Where's the SACD or DVD-A version of the new Metallica album? Do I buy the CD or wait for the hi-res version?

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Same for me, I bought the CD with bonus DVD, why didn't they release a DVD-A like Fleetwood Mac ?
    DVD-A would be much better if it had a CD layer.

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    DVD-A will (probably) never get a CD layer as that would make it incompatible with most DVD players ... including most current DVD-A players. The DVD forum are not prepared to sanction that.

Vikki

14. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Sony were to bring out everything from now on as CD/SACD hybrid for CD prices, they would have the battle won IMHO.

15. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Oh definately agree with you there paiger ... we need new stuff not just rehash of old stuff.

Vikki

16. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I got the Norah Jones album on SACD - imported from Canda it only cost around £9 shipped, about the same price as the standard CD version.

Its a hybrid too, with 5.1 SACD, hi-res stereo, and a standard CD layer too :)

17. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    where did you order it from?

is it worth buying if I've alreay got the CD?

18. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Got it from DVDBoxoffice.

No idea if its worth buying if you already have the CD, as I don't have it to compare. I suspect not though....

19. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see DVDboxoffice have a much wider range than we can get over here. You can even get Dokken and Tesla!

I ordered Norah Jones, Metallica (Metallica DVD-A) and James Taylor (JT).

All for under £40 shipped to the UK. Not bad at all.

BY the way, if DSOTM is anything to go by, the 5.1 version of Norah Jones may well be worth it.

20. Maidenman

Maidenman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tesla on 5:1 there is a god. BTW the new Iron Maiden album in September will be released as SACD, another reason why they are superior to Metallica but that is another forum/argument.

Anyway question, I bought DSOTM on Saturday popped it into DVD/SACD player (connected to Maranz SR5300 amp via optical lead) and no sound from my speakers. I understand I have to connect my outputs from DVD/SACD to my amp but as they are not close don't want loads (more) cables between TV area and amp. Are there any integrated cables out there that will do the trick (i.e. one lead as opposed to 6) and if so reccomendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

21. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +695
    sacd also has the ability and capacity for video but sony don't seem to push/exploit it. maybe they want to keep the user interface advantage.

22. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have a look in Maplins for a 6 in 1 audio/video cable.

23. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It would be a real shame if SACD did get canned. I just got The Wall, Live at Berlin, and on my cheap player it does sound great. When you go back to the 2ch version, even on a much better CD player - there is a big empty feeling in the room.

24. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This website might revives the hope of SACD survival...

http://store.acousticsounds.com/newarrivals.cfm

The difference between CD & SACD is huge when your system is properly set up - even in 2 CH stereo replay. I have to say that SACD will only take off when it's price is closer to CD (in other parts of the world) as it seems like in U.S. the CD & SACD price is pretty close.

I SERIOUSLY HOPE SONY WILL TAKE THE FAR SUPERIOR BETAMAX FORMAT's FAILED EXPERIENCE AS A GOOD LESSON!

25. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too,

I just got Norak Jones on Hybrid for £9 from Canada and it ROCKS.

Well, it doesn't ROCK as such but it's brilliant and cheap and I like it.

Jailbreaaaaaaak..........

26. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Was that from DVDBoxOffice?

Is the SACD layer much better than the standard layer??

27. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it was, good service.

Haven't listened to the CD layer yet and I don't have my 5.1 system set up so I've got the SACD player doing 2 channel through a Teac 300 system. Not ideal but it sounds fantastic and has to be better than the CD layer, especially in 5.1.

28. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    also, they don't mind you mp3-ing or recording new tracks from their new unreleased album, and putting them on the web, as long as you buy the new album when it does come out.!!

29. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    it's a shame because SCAD it sounds alot better than DV-A but sony have only themselves to blame here and who are the losers us the costomers who have paid for these units

30. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I am not sure at all that SACD sounds better than DVD-A.

Steven.