SACD resolution?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dynamic turtle, Jul 30, 2004.

1. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

I really ought to know this by now, but what resolution are SACD encoded in? Most DVDA's have the rez stated on the case (i.e. 24bit/96khz) but not SACD's. Is this because there is a fixed rez or because its so low they don't want to advertise it?!

Just wondering because my sacd's seem to sound better than my dvda's. Is this due to watermarking/security encoding on dvda's?

I realise the most important factor is the discs mastering & engineering, but I don't want to turn this thread into a DVDA Vs. SACD thread (which has been debated ad nauseum here already!)

Just the facts please.

DT

2. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I take it from the lack of replies nobody else knows either!?!?!

C'mon, there must be someone out there who can shed some light on this.......

Plleeeeeeezzzzz

For the benefit of all forum members!

DT

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Ok...a quick net search will probably get you a lot more detail,and information,but SACD is a one bit process with sampling occurring at 2.82MHz.
    This delivers a theoretical dynamic range of up to 120dB(dependent on all of the equipment in the chain)and frequency response of up to 100kHZ(again dependent on equipment).
    The following link may be useful.
    http://www.bnoack.com/index.html?http&&&www.bnoack.com/data/DSD.html

4. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the link Alex. Read it through but still none the wiser. Does SACD then have a maximum resolution of 2,820Khz or 100Khz (compared to DVDA's 192Khz)???

So the bit rate is reduced from 24 to 1 with an increase in sample rate from 192khz to 2,820khz in order to compensate?

This is driving me mad......

DT

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    You're getting a few terms mixed up here....

The sample rate is 2.82MHz for SACD,and either 96KHz or 192KHz for DVD-A.

The frequency response is up to 100Khz for SACD,and either 48KHz for DVD-A @ 96KHz sample rate,or 96KHz @ 192KHz sample rate.

Your are also confusing bitrate with word length...DVD-A uses 24 bit words to describe the musical waveform,and SACD uses single bits to denote up or down as far as the waveform goes,but sampled at a much higher rate than DVD-A to give a similar overall resolution if you like.

It's a complex subject,and one which I don't find easy either.

As to the overall sound,both formats have their benefits and downsides,and people who like one or other,or both.....the watermarking issue with respect to DVD-A has been investigated at some length in the audiophile press,and a number of reviewers and engineers claim it is readily audible.
    Whether it is or it isn't won't matter,as it is definitely here to stay,and is slowly invading CD also in the form of copyright protected CD's....I personally think that more comes down to how well recorded and mixed the disc is,than the overall format,as there are hordes of awful so-called high resolution format discs out there,as well as awful CD's.
    For the most part,discs are equalised to sound passable on the lowest common denominators of digital or analogue broadcasting,and cheap CD players.....good audiophile level recordings,which actually make the most of even CD's limited bandwidth are relatively few and far between.

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    complicated indeed! Thanks for clearing that up for me (and everyone else).

DT

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hope so...my understanding of it is as limited as most!....if there are any errors,I'm sure the more digitally capable members will soon arrive.

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,868
    i have a DVD-A which has a sample rate of 88.3 khz i think it is....defintely 88.something.

9. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hit the nail on the head Alexs2

10. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be 88.2. The rates are multiples of the basic rate, 44.1 CD or 48 for DVD, thus 44.1, 88.2, 176.4 or 48, 96, 192. Some players/receivers upsample CD to 96 or 192 but it would be preferable to keep the multiples as integers, as it otherwise introduces all sorts of nasty mathematical possibilities for error (a more digitally knowledgeable person can explain this better than I can).