1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD Player to replace Marantz CD94...?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by clived, Apr 5, 2003.

1. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bit of a dilemma...

I've got am Arcam DV88 which I'm planning to upgrade to DVD-A, so that's DVD-V and DVD-A covered.

I also have am aged, but working and sounding fine Marantz CD94, which I'm loathe to get rid of. However, I'm a format junkie and am getting into mukti-channel music in a big way, and have already purchased a couple of multi-channel SACDs and now need something to play them on!

I'm looking for a multi-channel SACD player that also plays conventional CDs at least as well as the CD94.... I don't need it to be a DVD player also, but if it is, that's fine.

Budget depends on how "good" I think it sounds, but I'm assuming at least £400, maybe a fair bit more.

Any recommendations?

Cheers, Clive

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    You're probably going to be wanting to look at the top of the range Sonys ... think they're the 555 and 777 ... but these are around £1000 and £1300 (i think - typing this from memory) so quite a bit over your £400 budget.

Other alternative is looking at a lower end SACD player and keeping the CD94.

Vikki

3. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Vikki, thanks - I spotted the Sony's this morning - I guess the thing I really need to do is give them an audition against the CD94 - the only problem is that I'm very attached to it, so I'll make myself think that even the higher end Sony doesn't sound as good! :)

Cheers, Clive

P.S. What's with the Dog & Trumpet - you got an HMV or RCA connection?

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    As an owner of a 94 and a Sony £400 SCD player (770?), I am fearful you will not get what you are after here. Reclocking the 94 might help the sound but will not give you multi channel. Serious money might have to be spent here :(

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    No HMV connection ... just an image of a dog listening to music :)

6. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Beekeeper,

Not sure what you're saying here - that the CD94 two-channel plain-old-CD sound is so go I'm going to have to spend £plenty to get a SACD that is as good, or that by modern standards the CD94 isn't that great, so it would need clocking to sound as good as a modern SACD player, playing normal CDs?

Thanks, Clive

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The 94 is great player, unfortunately 'mid' priced SACD players like my Sony 770 leave much to be desired. Granted the top Sony / Marantz are good but are also the wrong side of £1k. People love the 'convenience' of these new players but the sound quality is often, well shall we say lacking. I have learned this to my cost.

Bu the 94 really does benefi from clocking :clap:

8. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Beekeeper, thanks for the clarificaiton - that's what I thought you meant :) Looks like a good excuse to keep my CD94 and by a mid-price SACD player just to play with for the time being then...

Clocking is something that I previously looked at, and have brief conversations with both Trichord and Audicom. I was leaning towards Audicom, but was having trouble differentiating between the two (more to the point, they were having trouble differentiating themselves!). Whose mod did you go for?

Cheers, Clive

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    If you can use a soldeing iron, I would be happy to send a clock 2 to u with instructions for fitting for you to try. FOC.

10. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Eeeek! Well, I can, but I'm not sure I trust myself with my hallowed CD94.... :eek: