SACD player for Cambridge Audio edge A

Itsthesmell

I own a few SACD that I'd love to listen to on my Edge A amp. It looks like the edge can only decode DSD through its USB-b port.
What options do I have to do this because it seems there are no dedicated SACD players that output via USB. So other than using analogue rca leads does anyone have some suggestions?

I'm baffled why CA designed it only to decode via USB.

I own an oppo UDP 203 player, if I set the player to DSD 5.1 through HDMI to the AV amp, but connect the front L+R terminals (rear panel) to the Edge A will I get a full 2 channel sound to the edge A or a diluted form based on the oppo being set to multichannel? I tested it and it seems like 2 channel but I might be wrong.

If I invest in expensive phono leads is this the best way to go?

Thanks in advance

Daz

gibbsy

If I invest in expensive phono leads is this the best way to go?
No. Don't fall for the snake oil.

Most SACD titles that are 5.1 DSD also have a stereo DSD layer. Very unusual if they don't and I have none in my collection. The Oppo can decode DSD and output via RCA. You can also set the Oppo to just read the stereo layer of the SACD, no need for 5.1 unless you want to use a full surround system.

I play SACD multi layer via my Pioneer LX500 via HDMI to a Denon AV amp. I also have stereo SACD players which get far more use. With an amp of the quality of the Edge perhaps you would be wise to invest in a stereo SACD player and connect via RCA.

Itsthesmell

Cheers Gibbsy.
I think you're probably right, after writing the OP I found a comment online about the DACs in oppo products that said they convert DSD to pcm. So a dedicated player is the next best option. Is Rca up to the task of reproducing SACD or would unbalanced connections be better?
I really wish I could use the DAC in the amp, does my head in that I can't.

gibbsy

I use, for stereo only, either a Marantz sa8005 into a Rega Elicit-R and a Denon DCD 2500 NE which is currently in my headphone system. Over a short distance there will be little, if any, noticeable difference in audio quality between non and balanced inputs. The Denon is a superb player, especially with stereo SACD but the detail it can dig out of any redbook CD is amazing which makes it such a delight to listen to with headphones.

There also the Denon DCD A110 player which is based on the 2500 NE but is around a grand more. Both players have received some very good reviews.

Itsthesmell

I don't think I could get used to the looks of the denons they're too bulbous for my eyes.
The marantz would match my av receiver but ideally I'd love to find a Cambridge audio SACD player just so I could use the same remote control for it with the Edge.
Any recommendations?

gibbsy

I don't think CA do a stereo SACD player, just a CD player. Marantz have sadly dropped the mid tier players from the line up. Now you have the SACD 30N which is also a network player or the SA-12SE both retailing for around £2900. Then you have the daddy of them all the SA-10 which you will get very little change from £7000.

I don't mind the Denon look and in real life it does have more curves than shown on images. With the Marantz I would pick the 12SE over the 30N as I don't stream at all. To be honest I would have no hesitation buying the 12SE. It has the typical Marantz curves.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom