1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD playback and cables pricing?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kennydies, Sep 18, 2003.

1. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    First things first. I borrowed an SACD from a friend at work just to test my DVD player (Pioneer DV-464-S). After a lot of fuming I realised I needed the multi chanel inputs/outputs connected.

Why is this, why does it not output via the digital outputs. I did look in the manuel but it did not give a satisfactory explanation.

Because of this I need the digital coaxal and the multi chanel cables connected because I have a 7.1 receiver (Pioneer VSX-D2011-S).

Which leads me to my main question. It has been a while since I have had to buy cables (I had a friend who worked for an AV shop). Can someone give me a recomendation for some reasonable priced analog cable and a website?

Thanks

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This player can'y play SACD format disks, sorry...

James

3. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, can't type. I have the 565.

Thanks

4. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ross

I am under the impression that the bandthwidth required for SACD and DVD-A is far greater than digital RCA or optical can handle, I believe some of the newer Pioneer amps and players and have a digital connection based on firewire which has the sufficient bandwidth to allow digital connection.

For cables I can more than recommend these guys.
    http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_categories.set/ref/9/browse.html

Free delivery over £10 and their lower priced phonos are only £4.35 a pair, I've got some and the quality is pretty good or they have profigold ones for only £10

5. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    On SACD players the digital output is blocked when playing a SACD something to do with copyright protection. I have the Sony NS705 (I think) and had to buy a new amp to beable to listen to SACDs.

I got the 5.1 output cable from Dixons - it was 30 quid - Cheaper than anywhere else and good quality too.

6. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  7. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You would need three of those.

I think the ones in Dixons were 15 quid.

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  9. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    The reason for you needing to use 5.1 outputs on your dvd player for SACD & DVD-A is that the dvd player has a dvd-a & SACD decoder in it.

If you use 5.1 cables then your dvd player has converted the signal to analoge.

If you use a coax cable you are transmitting the digital signal for the amp to then translate into analoge.

I agree with Tim about bandwidth. That's why we're not seeing amps with SACD & DVD-A decoders in them. There's no way if sending the digital signal to the amp.

I bought some rather nice cables from Groundy who is a member here (www.scorpiancables.com). I think they were roughly £90 for 6 good quality cables.

Jus.