sacd or not?What do you think?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by abnett26247, Feb 7, 2005.

1. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can some kind person answer this one? i have a limit se 900 but it does not play sacd just dvd A. i also have a pioneer 575A that is not used at the moment as ive been told the limit se 900 is best for cd replay.so the pioneer is sitting in its box (sad ) and i think that is right the limit is as good as my old marantz high end cd player,. but do i keep the pioneer 575A for sacd, ? is it worth it as ive never tried this format, or is dvd A as good better or worse. or is sacd not worth the bother as some on the forums have mentioned. :rolleyes:

2. AgeOwns

AgeOwns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently received my first SACDs... and the difference is huge. Most noticably on my setup it is total lack of any hiss when the music goes quiet. If you listen to Dido or similar on CD (which seem to be high quality recordings) you can hear a slight hiss...(well on my kit anyway) SACD is crystal clear, even on a lowley Pio 575. You can listen deep into the music and even quiet moments are clear. I'm also loving the 5.1 mixes on the SACDs. Not gimicky as i'd feared, by immersive, and definately better than 2 channel if you have a sub/sat system.

Get that 575 out the box.

The only draw back is the lack of SACD choice... and the price of them, though eBay is a good source. Sony need to get thier act together, if your not into Pink Floyd/Sting or classical music your choice is limited. But IMO there is no better way to show off your kit.

3. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    not really worth keeping it just for SACD, at the moment its more of a "well lets try it" sort of disc. I have the 565 and 575 and I have anumber of DVD-A discs but only the one SACD that being Dark Side of the Moon. Yep it sounds good but not enough to justify keeping a player for the one disc. From now on in I only buy DVD-A, over SACD if I can get my hands on them but even these are like hens teeth to find.

Seems like both formats, however nice, are dying.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    abnett

Can't imagine your Limit being as good a "high-end" Marantz for CDs :eek: Depends on how you define "high-end" I suppose.

The only DVD players I've heard that make a really decent job of CDs are the TAG McLaren DVD32 and DVD32FLR and the Linn Unidisk range.

To compare your Pioneer against the Limit why not buy a hybrid SACD/CD disc that you like and play the SACD layer on the Pioneer and the CD layer on the Limit. That way if you prefer the Limit then you have a disc you can still play.

I have over 100 SACDs and DVD-As and generally prefer SACDs. The choice is better than you think and Amazon.co.uk and Play.com have the best prices. You should also check out the US Amazon.com as the $ is low against the £ just now and there are some bargains to be had. Roxy Music's Avalon is around £6.00 for the hybrid disc!

There are some great DVD-As though and I can recommend the both Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" and Jeff Trott's "Dig-Up The Astroturf" amongst others.

As for SACDs the Dylan and Stones albums are fantastic and there is not much between the CD layer and SACD layer IMHO.

Good luck and trust your ears :smashin:

5. Steel

Steel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have the Pioneer 656 I am very happy with SACD. Great discs include, Norah Jones Come Away with Me, Tommy, The Who ( simply fabulous), Rolling Stones assorted discs and a great Jazz album Bucky Pizzarelli Swing Live.

7. Engine Joe

Engine Joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD-A and SACD are both great, but I prefer SACD generally because (1) you don't need a monitor on to play the album (pop in and hit play - no menus), and (2) many are hybrids - so you can buy a SACD and still play it on your regular CD player. If you buy a DVD-A, you can't play it in your car!

That said, DVD-A's get the "extra features" sometimes - video, pictures, etc. So both are great formats.

Fortunately, my Denon 3910 does pretty well with both formats, and I just let 'her rip!

P.S. There are far, far more SACD releases than DVD-A releases available, which is a fact worth keeping in mind as well.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have two SACD players, my advice is not to bother unless you buy all hybrids

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I have not been over impressed with SACD or DVD-A yet, the dvd-a on my meridian was good but then the CD version was very close to it anyway and the limited catalogue of titles does not make it worth worrying about.
    SACD on my philips is not as nice as the same cd being played back on my Meridian 500MKII cd transport, but I am sure if I got a decent SACD player things may change.

Nic, did you ever do any mods to your philips? I am only using the digital out but would be interested in some mods to the PSU etc.

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I've found SACD and DVD-A, in my limited experience, to be "interesting" rather than mind blowing. Firstly, it was one of the catalysts for me buying a sub - without a decent sub both formats sound weedy.
    I do like the way the instrumentation is very discrete, and I have heard things on familar albums which are simply not there on the stereo CD (they may have been added of course). Just ordered the Keane album on SACD 'cause I like it so much and it will be interesting to hear what is effectively a remix.
    575 I'm sure doesn't do either format total justice but to be honest it does a damn good job for the price...PJ

11. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just would say my limit 900se sounds as nice as my old its true Marantz £500 cd player, things have moved on and the Limit is tuned by Cyrus, and Limit call it a Cd / Dvd player that way round. any one else use the Limit fior cd replay i find it wonderfull at all formats,

12. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    abnett

As I said trust your ears :smashin: Doesn't matter what anyone else or any magazine says.

(I wouldn't call £500 high-end though!)

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Mods people (my time limited) haven't got back to me with a price but as my Tag has died, this project might just be on hold for a week or so !! I will do it, just not sure when at the moment.

14. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    SACD ? DVD-A ? Concentrate on your CD, Vinyl & DVD-V collection.

You get more satisfaction from those. IMHO.

15. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    CJ

I agree on the whole but at least if you buy SACD hybrids you can play them on your CD and DVD player.

Also as all DVD-A's come with either a DD, DTS or PCM track (or sometimes all 3) then you can play them on your DVD-V machine.

16. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Kenny

Should have made it more clear, that I have no problem with anyone buying SACDs or DVD-As for that matter, just that I would concentrate my expenditure fully on the CD/Vinyl side of things musically rather than going down a SACD/DVDA route that lets face it – is not going on forever. CD or Vinyl though ….. And at a given budget I would spend the majority of my dosh on a better DVD-V player than a SACD/DVD-A player.

ATB dude.

17. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for your advice.still not sure but seems some think there is no future in sacd / dvd a so have to think some more if there is going to be a new /better format ? dont understand what though.

18. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    There will probably be a "better" format but as you say, who wants it? :rolleyes:

I think CD (and to a lesser extent vinyl) will be the main formats with more and more hard disk solutions eventually taking over the market.

Just look at the rise of iPods amd MP3 players (I have an iPod myself) as people will place convienience over absolute sound quality. Lets face it MP3 sounds crap :eek: The public wants what the public gets.......... :clown:

19. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I only have 3 DVD-A's and 2 SACD titles, acquired since I got my 3910 in December. However, even from this limited choice of titles, the difference between normal CD and these advanced resolution formats is breathtaking. Multichannel mode (done properly) is fantastic - you really feel like you are listening from within the music - stereo just sound two dimensional and boring now by comparison, I do think SACD has the edge in absolute quality terms. The bass response is massive, yet still tight and controlled. The best example I have is the remaster of Roxy Music's Avalon on SACD. I think you do need access to both formats however, to give yourself the widest possible catelogue.

20. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    But is this just because the 3910 isn't too hot on CD? I agree with what you have said but run a similar test with a 'proper' CD and it is a whole new ball game again.

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I am glad you said that Nic, I was going to and thought it might upset some.

I think the difference on basic players is night and day, but as the players get better the difference becomes smaller.

22. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Must admit, haven't listened to much CD since I got the 3910. As I said, multi channel (to my ears) is fantastic on DVD-A and SACD. Tried some CD last night however. Certainly sounds much better than via my previous Sony DVD player, and sounds better useing the 3910 DAC, as opposed to digital output / using the DAC in my Yamaha DSP-A1 amp.

All the reviews I've seen have been fairly positive on the CD audio quality for the 3910. It's not the reason I got the 3910, but it's a bonus none the less.

23. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Seal album (Seal IV) in DVD-A is quite impressive with regards to both resolution and multichannel distribution

I believe I read someplace (discount this as you wish as my memory is known to slip from time to time ;) ) that they recorded for and mastered in multichannel format and subsequently derived the two channel mix for CD from that

In either case, while the CD is a solid recording in and of itself, the DVD-A is much more desirable to my ears

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

25. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Nic, they are not deaf, but for some certain things you need someone to point you directly to the point. And, by the way 3910 is not so bad at all. But it is not top audio player, that's true.

26. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Hah, they are deaf :) 3910 does some things brilliantly, other less well so and that includes the audio. It is a matter of knowing the strengths and weaknesses of every product. SACD has never really been well done on anything other than dedicated SACD players and then it is 'questionable'. I am sure I wrote something years ago here on a Sony dedicated SACD player and it's less than stellar performance, interestingly I found the Philips to be the best then as well. A 1000 from memory.