SACD on Sony STR-DG910

brianj42

Established Member
Reaction score
Help guys, put me out of my misery.

I have a STR-DG910 receiver and a BDPS570 BD player. I have had the setup for a few years and it ticks all the boxes for me.

But, I have now started to move into SACD and am not sure that my setup will do it.

The receiver definitely doesn't do multichannel over HDMI, says in the manual. But, is it possible it would over coaxial or optical or any other way ?

I do remember once doing it via a PS3 I had, but cannot remember how the hell I achieved it.

Or do I have to upgrade the receiver ?

Help please....

You can convey DSD or multichannel PCM via HDMI, but digital optical or coax is limited to only 2 channels of uncompressed PCM data ans cannot handle DSD. If you were to convey either the DSD audio formats used for SACD or the multichannel PCM derrived from it then it would have to be via HDMI. Most AV receivers will these days accept DSD being bitstreamed to them via HDMI, but only the higher tier models have the DACs required to handle DSD directly. Most receiver have to convert the DSD signal to multichannel PCM prior to their DACs.

The STR-DG910 doesn't support DSD so you'd have to have the player decode it and stream the audio as multichannel PCM via HDMI to the AV receiver. Your player will have settings relating to SACD and DSD playback that allow you to specify that the player does the decoding rather than bitsreaming DSD.

Help guys, put me out of my misery.

I have a STR-DG910 receiver and a BDPS570 BD player. I have had the setup for a few years and it ticks all the boxes for me.

But, I have now started to move into SACD and am not sure that my setup will do it.

The receiver definitely doesn't do multichannel over HDMI, says in the manual. But, is it possible it would over coaxial or optical or any other way ?

I do remember once doing it via a PS3 I had, but cannot remember how the hell I achieved it.

Or do I have to upgrade the receiver ?

Help please....

Sony are about to release 1070 AVR which gets excellent for sound review on CNET

Cheers dante01. As suspected. The player will send PCM but thats not the full multichannel at the end of the day. So it looks like a new receiver in the offing. May move over to Onkyo this time round and see what happens......Cheers again

Sony are about to release 1070 AVR which gets excellent for sound review on CNET
Cheers High Fidelity, but unfortunately my days of buying the latest and greatest and blowing thousands on a receiver have long gone. Its the best of second hand Ebay for the moment o_O

Cheers High Fidelity, but unfortunately my days of buying the latest and greatest and blowing thousands on a receiver have long gone. Its the best of second hand Ebay for the moment o_O

Thousands ? anticipated price approx £600 then discounted. I definately would avoid buying a s/hand AVR

Connect the BDP-S570 to the STR-DG910 using a spare HDMI connection. Do not connect it to the STR-DG910's SA-CD inputs - these are for stereo only.

On the BDP-S570, set Audio Settings: DSD Output mode to Off and Music Settings: Super Audio CD Playback Channel to DSD Multi.

On the STR-DG910, set Video Menu: AUDIO (HDMI AUDIO) to AMP. Note: If you set this to AMP+TV you will likely only get stereo (very few TV's support multichannel input).

To play a SACD, select the input corresponding to the HDMI socket you have used.

Multichannel SACDs should now play using all 5 speakers.

Connect the BDP-S570 to the STR-DG910 using a spare HDMI connection. Do not connect it to the STR-DG910's SA-CD inputs - these are for stereo only.

On the BDP-S570, set Audio Settings: DSD Output mode to Off and Music Settings: Super Audio CD Playback Channel to DSD Multi.

On the STR-DG910, set Video Menu: AUDIO (HDMI AUDIO) to AMP. Note: If you set this to AMP+TV you will likely only get stereo (very few TV's support multichannel input).

To play a SACD, select the input corresponding to the HDMI socket you have used.

Multichannel SACDs should now play using all 5 speakers.
Mark, I'll give it a shot and let you know. Thanks

Thousands ? anticipated price approx £600 then discounted. I definately would avoid buying a s/hand AVR

High Fidelity, its currently a case where the car needs the money more than the AV. The Sony hasn;t done me too bad its still going strong 5 years later after costing £40 on Ebay. Needs must when the devil calls and all that gumph :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom