1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD on AV8

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Jesse350, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Jesse350

Jesse350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that I have solved my speaker problem, I have a new one. How do I play a surround sound SACD? I own a Denon 3910 universal player and I tried to play an SACD. The only way it seems to play it is as follows: I pushed the 9MCH button on the remote, the AV8 switched to direct, and to DVD-A. The music came from three of the front speakers but not from the subwoofer or the back left and right speakers. I can find nothing in the Manual that even mentions SACD. Please give me some help with this problem. Thank you.

Jesse Joseph :confused:

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Does the output from the dennon work with the AV8 on the DVD-A input and the dennon playing a dolby digital disc. If not it is most likely that the cables are not correctly connected to the DVD-A input. If it does work then it is most likely that the Dennon is not set up correctly to output multichannel DVD-A.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If it's anything like my Denon A11 then you have to select Multi Channel for SACD in options on player instead of stereo.

On mine this is achieved with the mode buttons on the front of the player. Press the "Mode button" and information will come up on the display. Press it again until SACD comes up , then turn the "mode select" button until multi channel comes up (then push it in to select it) Your player will then default to always playing the multi channel layer if one is available.

As I say that's on an A11 though , I haven't seen a 3910

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Have you made sure that the surround left and right ouputs on the Denon are going into the surround left and right inputs on the AV8 and not the surround back left and right inputs. Also make sure that the player is set to read the multi-channel layer on the disc if there is one, finally make sure there actually is a multichannel soundtrack on the disc in question.

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes, a lot of discs are stereo only

6. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess "SACD" is banned from Arcam vocabulary?
    ...Just kidding.

7. Jesse350

Jesse350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to me that SACD is banned from the Arcam vocabulary and I am not kidding. SACD is not even mentioned in the very large Arcam AV8 Manual. I would have bought an Arcam player if it played SACD and so far, I can't seem to play a surround sound SACD on the pre/pro but one day, I will succeed. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jesse :hiya:

8. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The multichannel analogue input onthe AV8 is just that - it will play any multichannel signal fed to it such as from a DVD-A or SACD multichannel output of a suitable DVD player.

If you aren't getting 6 channels out in these circumstances then you aren't feeding 6 channels into the AV8; it will be a cable or DVD player set up issue.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

9. Jesse350

Jesse350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First, I apologize, SACD is mentioned in the AV8 Manual in a few spots. When I play a DVD Video, I do get all the surround sound there is. When I play a DVD-A or SACD, I do not seem to get the back left and right speakers. The cables seem to be connected properly. Also, I do not seem to be able to get the 5.1 Dolby setup on the AV8 when I try to play an SACD or DVD-A. I admit I must be doing something wrong (being a complete novice in this area). I would appreciate it if someone could just tell me what exact steps I should take on the remote to be correct. I forget to push the amp button on the AV8 when I first turn it on. How important is this? Thank you.

Jesse Joseph :oops:

10. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid your 5.1 dolby set-up on your processor is irrelevant as far as SACD/DVD-A is concerned. As you know, you have to use the analog connections, hence Denon's decoders (DSD for SACD). High-Resolution formats such as SACD/DVD-A and Dolby Digital (DD) are two different things.

The source of your problem either comes from the set-up of your Denon or your cable connections.

Therefore,
    1) Check Denon's audio (multi-channel) set-up : centre, rear speakers and sub should be set to active.

2) Check wether the SACD multi-channel layer is searched first by default (press button on the front panel ). BTW, you need to see the blue light on when playing an SACD (orange for a DVD-A) and all 6 speakers icons should appear on Denon' screen when playing the multi-channel layer.

3) Check your cable connections carefully. And as a double-check, I would do what Andy Dutton suggested : play the dts/DD layer of a dvd-a disc. Alternatively, you can play a DVD-V but make sure that you do it through your analogue inputs and NOT the coax/optical inputs (you'll then use Denon's DD/dts own decoders).

Hope It helps.

Cheers,
    David

11. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can certainly play SACD via my AV8.
    Prime candidates for no multi channel sound would be as already mentioned.
    1) check the disc is multi channel
    2) check that the multi channel button is selected on the SACD player
    3) check the set up of output of analogue multi channel sound on the dvd player is correct.
    4) do a level check on all channels

hth
    john