SACD Issues With Denon 3805 and Denon 2930CI

RDJ

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an old Denon 3805 and I recently bought a used Denon 2930CI DVD player. My intent was to use the dvd player purely as a sacd/cd player and not use it in a video mode. The 2930CI plays regular cds as well as DTS surround cds just fine -- no issues at all. But that operation has been via an optical cable.
The SACD reproduction is another issue entirely. The dvd player seems to play a new SACD for about ten seconds, then skips and plays another ten seconds and then skips again. So, any thoughts/suggestions on what the issue is. The SACD is brand new -- Dire Straits, Money for Nothing SACD, not the hybrid type. Got it from oversees. Should I try a hybrid CD?

Issue two: I cannot get the dvd player to operate with the receiver when I use the cat 6 cable, which I understand is the preferred connection method. This connection is called Denon Link. Do I need to update the firmware on both the receiver and the dvd player? If I do need to do that, how do I actually go about that? And there is nothing on the 3805 GUI that seems to actually activate the communication with the dvd player when it is in analog mode. Do I need to program that somehow?

Last question/issue: I can't figure out how to connect the subwoofer if I have to use the RCA cables to connect the DVD player to the receiver .... because .... I already have the subwoofer hooked up via the pre-out jacks that would need to be used for the DVD subwoofer outputs? I only have one subwoofer jack on the receiver and it would seem that I need two if I want my subwoofer to operate both during TV mode and during dvd analog mode. Any and all suggestions/thoughts are welcome.

You need to set the 2930CI Denon Link output to 3rd by going into the Set Up Menu and selecting Digital Interface Setup - Denon Link - 3rd.

You'll then need to assign the Denon Link to an Input on the 3805. Go into the 3805's System Setup Menu - Input Setup - Digital In Assign. Set DVD to DLink.

Once this is done you won't need to use any of the analog connections. If you did want to for any reason you would connect them to the 7.1 External Decoder Inputs on the back of the Denon. You don't connect them to the Pre-Outs as they're Outputs, not Inputs.

Last edited:
Also you can't play SACD via optical.

\when I press "menu" on the remote, nothing happens on the 2930CI GUI. When I press 'settings" the word settings comes on the GUI but I can't seem to pull up anything further like input setup. Am I missing something? I am able to turn off the HDMI via the main player controls.

It seems that I somehow have the wrong Denon remote control. The unit came with an RC 1017 when it should have had an RC 1037. So, once I get the proper remote, I can proceed with the setup which can't apparently be done without the remote. Oh well. Thanks for the input. I suspect this will be a lengthy process so I will probably have further posts once I have all the right pieces together.

Am I missing something?

Yes. As I mentioned above the Input Setup is done on the 3805 and via it's System Setup Menu using it's own remote control. Do that first then move onto the 2930CI. Even with the RC 1017 you should still be able to access the 2930CI menu to change the Digital Interface Settings to Denon Link 3.

OK, I have done the 2930ci digital interface -- changed to Denon link 3. (I only just discovered that you have to hook this dvd player up to the tv in order to access most of the menus). I am now going to work on the 3805 but can you tell me how I can find out what firmware version the 2930ci is using .... because denon seems to be saying that both the dvd player and the receiver have to be using the same firmware. Hopefully, or maybe with a little luck, they will be on the same version and I can avoid having to deal with that.

As long as both have Denon Link 3rd (which they do) it should work fine. I can't remember how to check the firmware as it involves holding down certain buttons whilst switching the units on and then entering a code.

I highly doubt the firmware version of the 3805 will be the same as the 2930CI anyway so not sure what Denon are on about. As I said above, as long as both units have Denon Link 3rd they'll work together.

The only thing to bear in mind is that Hybrid SACD's are a bit notorious for not actually working properly in the Denons. They're very hit and miss. I gave up buying them as most of the time my player wouldn't read the SACD layer.

Well, nothing is simple. I just got off the phone with the denon folks and we assigned the denon link to the DVD input on the receiver and we got nothing in the way of sound. They are saying that the only way this will work is if I buy their $500 cat 6 cable and get rid of my aftermarket new cat 6 cable. I know that is garbage and that their is something simple that I am missing........

See above ..... here is the kicker. I just stuck a dts surround sound cd in the 2930ci and it works fine through the cat 6 cable in the DVD/Denon Link input. So the problem is not with the cable.... there is some setting that I am missing in connection with the SACD discs... something that is preventing the SACD information from being transmitted to the receiver. The 2930 plays the SACDs fine according to the GUI but the signal is not being received by or transmitted to the receiver.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Maybe my logic is faulty but if my cable is working fine on DTS, shouldn't it also work fine on SACD ..... IF ...... I had the settings right. Note that I do not have an optical or HDMI cable hooked up ... only the CAT 6 cable. So the cat 6 works fine on everything but SACD.

I just have the one SACD (it is new). But I will buy another one to see if that is the problem.

It should literally be a case of assigning the Denon Link to an Input on the 3805 and setting the 2930CI Denon Link output to 3rd. You've done that so everything should work.

Try a normal CD and check that it's working ok as well.

Regular cds work only via optical cable. DTS cds work on both cat 6 and optical. I don't know if that is to be expected or not. I was surprised that the regular cd did not work on the cat 6/denon link input.

CD's should work via Denon Link so something isn't right somewhere. Have you got the Input Mode set to AUTO on the 3805? Press the I-Mode 'button' at the bottom left of the remote and make sure it's set to AUTO.

Eureka!!! That was it... the missing setting. Thank you so much. Everything works!!! I don't have to buy a $500 cable to get SACDs to work. I really appreciate you taking the time to 'see this through.' Not sure many many people would have (1.) Taken the time and (2) Been able to decipher this puzzle. Very gracious of you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom