1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SACD - is it worth it with my TV?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nello, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just bought a Sony LS60 (28") and want a DVD player to go with it. Have only looked at Sony DVD's to match the TV so far.

Is it worth getting a DVD player which can handle SACD's (Sony 705 or 905)? The TV only has Nicam (plus Virtual Surround I think), and I'm not planning to buy any separates for extra sound capabilities yet.

Would I get any benefit from SACD through this TV's sound, or should I stick with a cheaper DVD (Sony 305 or 405) :confused:

Cheers

2. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None whatsoever I'm afraid.

SACD is a high-resolution format with the abilty to produce frequencies well beyond the limit of human hearing, up to 100kHz if I remember correctly.

To get the full benefits of SACD you need super-tweeters, to get most of the benefits you'd need to connect it to a system with a least moderate performance. Your TV speakers just won't cut the mustard.

Get yourself a cheaper DVD player then, if memory serves me right the lower spec Sony SACD players are not that well thought of for standard CD replay either but have pretty good AV performance.

3. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, forget the SACD.............do you mean that MP3 playback will be a bit shaky through a cheaper Sony? That was the other thing I wanted the DVD player to have................:(

Right, are there any recommendations for a cheap (under £200) DVD player with decent audio as well as good AV performance?

You're all going to tell me to buy the Tosh220 aren't you :laugh:

4. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er, umm...

Actually I was referring to bog-standard CD replay, I don't know if they're even compatible with MP3 burned CDs (they may well be).

I wasn't going to suggest the Tosh but since you mention it, I've got a Tosh SD100e (getting a bit 'old' now) and I'm very pleased with it. The 220 is a good'un!

As usual, take a look, have a listen, and buy the player that suits you, but SACD is still a niche market and you won't tell the difference through your telly.

Cheers

5. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Deckard, I'll have a search through the forum........